Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Because all the upcoming cars are either EV, hybrid, or boring SUV, CUV.

The fun cars are either too expensive or not as connected as cars made between 2001-2012.

Maybe the Subaru BRZ and Miata will be the last affordable pure cars, everything else coming out will be too digital or boring to drive and expensive.

This is why many good condition cars made in this era from Civics, GTIs, G8, Corvettes, Mazdaspeed 3, STI, Evos, Boxster, Cayman, BMW M3s, etc will all become more valuable soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:42 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
No. They are not going to become more valuable.

Modern safety features outweigh all.

But, for those seeking a good used car. A nice 10 year old one owner no accidents no rust low miles car of any kind is a good choice.
Except those with poor quality records.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:11 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

But, for those seeking a good used car. A nice 10 year old one owner no accidents no rust low miles car of any kind is a good choice.
Like always, certain ones will.

E39 M5s, NB Miatas, etc. have been appreciating. Outside the scope of the statement, look at the values of NA Miatas! Cars that 10-15 years ago could be had for a bag of lint now start at $15k.

A Chevy Malibu? hell no.

Right now we're going through what happened with muscle cars turn of the century. Once boomers got money, lots of them were bought and drove up values. Today Gen X got money and are buying nice 80s cars. In 20 years, millenials will have the money and buy up cars from 00-10.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:19 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Just another anti-tech, anti-EV, nostalgia proposition with little/no facts to back it up.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:24 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Actually you are wrong...........

Many of those cars listed in the OP's opening were manual transmissions or oddball cars that are no longer made. Nobody buys an M3 or Cayman because of the safety features.

Go over to a site like Bring a Trailer .com (it won't let me hot link it) and look at what stuff is selling for every day. A 3 year old Porsche 911 (1500 miles) just sold for $40,000 MORE than MSRP new!

People will pay a premium for cars that aren't made anymore. There is a Honda S2000 that is up over $52,000 in bids and it sold new in 2007 for about 30K. Again, its a car no longer made and has nothing to do with modern safety features.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Just another anti-tech, anti-EV, nostalgia proposition with little/no facts to back it up.
I think the OP owns a Tesla, so how is he/she anti-EV?

Old 03-10-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think the OP owns a Tesla, so how is he/she anti-EV?
LOL my bad. The post just sounded a lot like the recent "new bad, old good" posts here.
Apologies!

Old 03-10-2021, 12:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I think most people are missing the point here. EVs are the future but it doesn't change the narrative that these cars I mentioned will become the newer classic cars to have.

I current drive Tesla Model S, it is super fast but it's just not as engaging to drive. Plus the newer cars coming out are even more appliance like than ever. Do we need anymore superlative SUVs? How many more hybrid/EV sports sedans that make no sound and have no mechanical feel?

EVs are fast but the achilles heal is the weight, it can't out handle mid-rear engine mounted light weight sports cars.

And none of the newer cars have a decent mechanical manual gearbox. All new sports cars over $40k have some sort of automatic paddle shifter that are clutchless.

So more and more older modern era cars will become the cars to collect.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think most people are missing the point here. EVs are the future but it doesn't change the narrative that these cars I mentioned will become the newer classic cars to have.

I current drive Tesla Model S, it is super fast but it's just not as engaging to drive. Plus the newer cars coming out are even more appliance like than ever. Do we need anymore superlative SUVs? How many more hybrid/EV sports sedans that make no sound and have no mechanical feel?

EVs are fast but the achilles heal is the weight, it can't out handle mid-rear engine mounted light weight sports cars.

And none of the newer cars have a decent mechanical manual gearbox. All new sports cars over $40k have some sort of automatic paddle shifter that are clutchless.

Oh this I think makes sense too. Car & Driver even had a mini-editorial about this a few months ago, about when the tech vs. control vs. limits equation was in its most balanced state.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

2021 911/M3/M4 can still be manuals.........Miata and sporty Subarus too!

I went to look at a new M3 last weekend, their nationwide release date is this Saturday (nobody can buy or even drive one before then). Car was sold, put away so nobody could look at it (dumb). Buyer is taking it home Saturday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive