Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 01:13 PM

927 posts, read 589,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you refusing to recognize that only a small percentage of drivers base their car purchases on the requirement of "fun to drive." I don't even know what that means. Know what's really fun? Driving to my destination and back without breaking down or getting warning lights. Good times.

So, sure, among the "enthusiast" crowd, these old cars may be popular and the price will follow suit just like any small specialized market.

For the rest of us regular drivers trying to get from point A to point B in a reliable mode of transportation, we are not making googoo eyes are 10-20 year old cars (unless that's all one can afford...the cheap ones).
'Fun to drive' means going to a park or museum,national monument,etc which most car enthusiasts will save their driving for and use their newer boring car for practical purposes such as going to work.shopping,etc. You wouldn't want to wear out your pretty car and save that for your looky loo.

Of course they'll have to at least once a week take their collector car for a 'spin' on a long road for several miles. Your suppose to do that on any vehicle actually that has an engine so oils and stuff won't get too hardened causing expensive problems down the road (no pun intended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 04:54 PM

18,551 posts, read 15,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
EV's are not the future. They are regressive in capability and limit freedom of travel which is most likely the intent. Wake up people.
The travel limits might be overcome as charging stations pop up all over the place and technological improvements lead to range increases.

I don't expect EV's to totally replace ICE cars prior to 2060 or so, but they will become less impractical as investments are made in technology.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:44 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,132,567 times
Yeah... no. That sounds like a pitch to get people to switch to EV vehicles and gas powered cars will still be in high demand regardless.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:51 AM

10,569 posts, read 4,092,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
V8's will not sell soon once gas is over $6 a gal.
Get diesel and save your receipts to claim on your taxes. It's what I do. You can even start a small business and use that for extra leverage.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:53 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,032,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Get diesel and save your receipts to claim on your taxes. It's what I do. You can even start a small business and use that for extra leverage.
what does this even mean??

Old 03-22-2021, 01:47 AM

259 posts, read 230,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you refusing to recognize that only a small percentage of drivers base their car purchases on the requirement of "fun to drive." I don't even know what that means. Know what's really fun? Driving to my destination and back without breaking down or getting warning lights. Good times.

So, sure, among the "enthusiast" crowd, these old cars may be popular and the price will follow suit just like any small specialized market.

For the rest of us regular drivers trying to get from point A to point B in a reliable mode of transportation, we are not making googoo eyes are 10-20 year old cars (unless that's all one can afford...the cheap ones).
Yeah, if you don't know what "fun-to-drive" means then this entire conversation is absolutely pointless. You're not an enthusiast in any way, shape or form so you won't get it. I think OP was referring to enthusiasts in his original post so that's what we're talking about here, not you. I have no idea why you're even in this thread.

As for breaking down, lots of 10-20 year old cars are actually going to be more reliable than the current ones because they're made simpler and with less complex proprietary electronics. As long as you do the general maintenance on such cars and don't beat them bloody they will last a very long time. Generally I avoid newer cars because they're unnecessarily complicated and many are not very well made with planned obsolescence built right in. That goes double for EVs because most of them them seem to be cheaply-made soulless junk.

Just fyi, I semi-dd a 49 year old car. It may not be the most reliable thing out there but it has more character in its left ball joint than the entire run of 2020 Toyota Priuses combined.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,769,628 times
Most newer cars appear to be fun because they are more more compliant or competent road manners. Better handling, quicker power delivery, less creaks or rattles, less road noise, and often simulated sports steering using electric racks. So to a younger or less knowledgeable driver the car may appear to be more powerful or quicker on the road but in fact it's all electronically adjusted. Many cars now have sports mode which are nothing more than computer programs to increase the throttle, adjust the boost of the turbos, increase the dampers on the suspension, or change the power distribution of the front or rear. These are modern gizmo cars. They can't replace the raw feel of older cars that aren't insulated from road feel and communication. I know a lot of folks today get worried if the car has too much thumping or sounds from the wheels or tires. If they hear too much road noise they may think something is wrong with the car when in fact many older cars you feel and hear more due to less sound insulation and less dampening of the suspension that cannot soak up the bumps as well.

Then there's the older hydraulic steering where you can feel the tension of the road when the tires are squealing or losing grip. Today's cars you don't feel it as much, it's all neutered out. The engine sounds are also concealed or simulated since some cars have fake exhaust noise.

That's why I believe as well as many car enthusiats are snapping up cars made after 2000 and up to 2012 so they can still buy a V6 or V8 instead of many 4 cylinder turbo big cars. Nothing worst than buying a turbo car with a CVT transmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive