Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:29 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,593,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because all the upcoming cars are either EV, hybrid, or boring SUV, CUV.

The fun cars are either too expensive or not as connected as cars made between 2001-2012.

Maybe the Subaru BRZ and Miata will be the last affordable pure cars, everything else coming out will be too digital or boring to drive and expensive.

This is why many good condition cars made in this era from Civics, GTIs, G8, Corvettes, Mazdaspeed 3, STI, Evos, Boxster, Cayman, BMW M3s, etc will all become more valuable soon.
You have your nomenclatures all mixed up. You have the type of fuel mixed up with the body types in the first line. Also, some of the models you're touting on the last line are of the same body types you put down in the opening line of the post. Someone really likes Miatas to put them into a discussion about the top cars of the future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 08:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You have your nomenclatures all mixed up. You have the type of fuel mixed up with the body types in the first line. Also, some of the models you're touting on the last line are of the same body types you put down in the opening line of the post. Someone really likes Miatas to put them into a discussion about the top cars of the future...
It's not just certain types of cars, in general cars made pre 2012 will be become more sought after for the simplicity and repair cost.

Most new cars today are using some kind of turbo just doesn't have the same reliability and power delivery of a V6 or V8. Of course some would argue the newer cars are more reliable, that's debatable since a lot of cars use Direct injection and CVT they are not going to last as long and costlier to maintain and repair.

All of the newer VW GTI and Golf R will drop value compared to R32 with the VR6 engine. BMW M3s will lose value quicker while the E92 M3s will keep value since it has a V8.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:12 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

All of the newer VW GTI and Golf R will drop value compared to R32 with the VR6 engine. BMW M3s will lose value quicker while the E92 M3s will keep value since it has a V8.
04 R32 was an anomaly for sure. I drove one, didn't buy it but I should have.

M3's? Everyone has their favorites, E92s were great until you consider the rod bearing issues and the fact the F80 absolutely crushed the performance numbers on the E92s. Local dealer just listed a 3 year old F80 w/13K miles and a manual trans for 65K (that car maybe was 75-78K new!). It seems the manual cars are bringing stronger money than the paddle shift/SMG cars.

I really can't understand 100-200K for mint E30 M3s. Cool cars but not 200K cool!

Old 03-11-2021, 11:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,615,483 times
So much whining in this thread, which it too bad, because its an interesting topic.

Yes, EVs are coming, and are great options for large swaths of the population, in parts of the nation/globe that have the infrastructure to support. No, this doesn't mean that gas cars will immediately become undesirable, especially in the collector market (unless there is unnatural involvement, i.e. from the gov limiting/banning purchases, which would really be too bad). You know, its "ok" to be pro EV/new tech, and also have a passion for older cars.

In respect to this threat in particular, values of "affordable classics" and those cars that will likely be in a few years, are skyrocketing - so at the risk of actually providing data to back something up ... here is some info:
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati.../market-trends

Old 03-11-2021, 12:02 PM

1,438 posts, read 736,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Was this thread limited to gearheads? I stated a simple fact that applies to BOTH men and women. The majority of MEN think of cars as utility tools that get them from point A to point B.
not a majority, men usually enjoy driving, when standard transmissions were available 86% were bought by men. Standard 4X4 trucks and jeeps are primarily bought by men, high performance sports cars are primarily bought by men, some men think of cars as utility tools that get them from point A to point B but NOT the majority.

when I used to sell cars I remember many young couples(with a baby bump or actual baby) who were at the stage where they could only afford one car would trade both their old beaters for some minivan or early CUV and she would look happy and you could see the soul leaving his eyes. sometimes I would have a 4x4 bronco-II (the only decent, cheaper smaller yet roomy SUV at that time as the Rav4 had just came out and hadn't filtered to the used car lots yet.) at close to the same price as the lame minivan and I would see the light return to their eyes if they could get their wife to agree to the compromise.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:26 PM

432 posts, read 416,447 times
I like this theory as I own 3 cars that fit the bill.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:52 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,872,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
EV's are being forced on us by Governments here and abroad. If they were an advancement it would be the market that drives the switch to EV's not government. Most people don't want nor need them. It you want freedom of travel AND also a home charging EV, you have to buy TWO cars.
I hear this argument often. It isn't true that they are being forced by anyone. There are goals to eventually force them but for now people are buying more and more of them by free choice.

There can also be legitimate reasons for a government to regulate ICE vehicles since they harm the environment. It's a different debate though.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:50 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Corvette...

Old 03-11-2021, 05:51 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,337,666 times
V8's will not sell soon once gas is over $6 a gal.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,267,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
V8's will not sell soon once gas is over $6 a gal.
That's the best time to buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive