Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 06:54 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,664,808 times

Advertisements

Biggest safety feature they could come out with is one where all phones in car are completely disabled once car is in motion.

Some of best cars probably be from 90s, but anything with a computer made prior to decade ago is going to have problem with parts availability. And wiring degradation. These are not simple pre-computer, pre-emission cars that any shadetree mechanic could at least keep running, if not running real well. Now if govt doesnt bother to test them, you can probably use aftermarket efi system to make them run. But if you are required to only use factory parts, forget it.

I am not anti-EV, though I think the rare earth materials to make all those batteries not a great plus. Plus some of elder folk dont drive that many miles a year. Yet the batteries in an EV degrade whether used or not, so fixed cost and battery pack for that specific car, may not be easy to find later in the car's life.

Still think if we are going to have like 11B humans, cars just are not practical, only the wealthy will own one, rest will call whatever kind of taxi exists by then. And seriously rail is still most practical for any long distance travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 09:16 PM

259 posts, read 230,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
*sigh* Surely you can understand that the "enthusiast" community is only a small fraction of the overall car market. Not trying to silence you but you have to be reasonable and see how the original assertion doesn't hold for the majority of the car market.
Even a small fraction of the market is literally millions of people that buy cars every decade. About 2% of cars purchased today in the US have still manual transmission. Of course 2% is a small fraction but considering how many millions of cars total are sold every year in the US it's still hundreds of thousands of cars.

And this pertains to the original post. Lots of people don't want a EV or even a modern gas car both of which are full of very complex proprietary electronics, too attached to the manufacturer and are extremely boring to drive. These people want to enjoy their driving. And so the prices for older cars will go up. This is already the case with a lot of cars from 60s-90s. Many of them started bringing high prices in the last few years compared to a few years ago when you could buy one cheap. That's because of the whole EV thing, just fyi.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,451,511 times
I’m a baby boomer trying to wrap my head around 2001 - 2012 lol now 1955 to 1979 is a different era if you ask me in terms of value for a muscle car. But for a rice burner i don’t see it but a big block V8 yes. Good ole American HP yes not a wennie 4 cylinder lol .

Old 03-12-2021, 11:10 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m a baby boomer trying to wrap my head around 2001 - 2012 lol now 1955 to 1979 is a different era if you ask me in terms of value for a muscle car. But for a rice burner i don’t see it but a big block V8 yes. Good ole American HP yes not a wennie 4 cylinder lol .
Weenie 4-bangers have their place. My ‘97 Civic is fun, if you’re willing to be open to what it does well, and is capable of 40+ mpg. Double wishbone suspension, a great gearbox, and an engine which even today is one of the best-behaved revvers goes a long way towards making it a cheap funbox, and mine also has manual steering which almost deserves a stand-alone article because of how good it is.

But as I said before, I do think the late 90s and early 2000s were in some ways a pinnacle - aided by modern technology, they’re easy to drive and fairly efficient, but mostly lack the heaviest of tech which will make them feel prematurely dated.

That said, even 60s Mustangs, for example, can yield mid-20s with an overdrive 5-speed and a bit of playing with the carb.

Zooming out a bit, I’m just glad there’s a big variety of different things for different people.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:48 AM

17,428 posts, read 22,186,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass Sag View Post
If you’re in need of modern safety features you probably should not be driving. Technology won’t save you from stupid people.
I kept my 2002 boxster with it’s less modern tech and stable flat 6. It will certainly be more sought after than the 4 cylinder boxster now in production.
Stable? Didn't those have bearing issues? Lunch the motor and the repair is worth more than the whole car

Old 03-13-2021, 04:53 AM

17,428 posts, read 22,186,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Stop..........1979? Ooh the era of 165 HP Corvettes and 140 HP 5.0 Mustangs.......

Remember the Smokey and the Bandit T/A's? Yeah 180-220 HP at best. That thing wouldn't outrun a new Minivan today.

By 1973ish the big block muscle had moved out of Detroit, smog rules/gas crunches/slumping economy hurt the car development and there was no more muscle being produced.

My favorite: 8.2 liter, 500ci Caddy Eldorado with a whopping 190 HP!

Old 03-13-2021, 08:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,769,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
A Contour SVT with low miles in good condition would be worth big $$$. If any exist!!

Mine ended up being the cheapest Contour one could buy.
When I sold it, I got 3X what a "regular" Contour would fetch.
It easily held its value as well as the imports.

Plus I got to drive a cult favorite for five years.
I saw a Contour SVT a few weeks ago, occasionally see them at the auto-x tracks. Sharp little car that nobody bought back then. Now would be a good time to pick up the Focus SVT, which are going for around $3-5k, I almost bought one. 6 Speed stick + 180HP is good combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
V8's will not sell soon once gas is over $6 a gal.

I was driving a Subaru WRX STI that gets 16mpg and uses premium gas when gas was $5, for car enthusiasts that's the cost of admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass Sag View Post
If you’re in need of modern safety features you probably should not be driving. Technology won’t save you from stupid people.
I kept my 2002 boxster with it’s less modern tech and stable flat 6. It will certainly be more sought after than the 4 cylinder boxster now in production.
Well any pre-2006 Porsches will be worth good money now if in good condition.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,925,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was driving a Subaru WRX STI that gets 16mpg and uses premium gas when gas was $5, for car enthusiasts that's the cost of admission.

I had a regular WRX then. Oh the days of $60 tanks that got just over 200 miles

Old 03-13-2021, 10:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,541,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Even a small fraction of the market is literally millions of people that buy cars every decade. About 2% of cars purchased today in the US have still manual transmission. Of course 2% is a small fraction but considering how many millions of cars total are sold every year in the US it's still hundreds of thousands of cars.

And this pertains to the original post. Lots of people don't want a EV or even a modern gas car both of which are full of very complex proprietary electronics, too attached to the manufacturer and are extremely boring to drive. These people want to enjoy their driving. And so the prices for older cars will go up. This is already the case with a lot of cars from 60s-90s. Many of them started bringing high prices in the last few years compared to a few years ago when you could buy one cheap. That's because of the whole EV thing, just fyi.
Are you refusing to recognize that only a small percentage of drivers base their car purchases on the requirement of "fun to drive." I don't even know what that means. Know what's really fun? Driving to my destination and back without breaking down or getting warning lights. Good times.

So, sure, among the "enthusiast" crowd, these old cars may be popular and the price will follow suit just like any small specialized market.

For the rest of us regular drivers trying to get from point A to point B in a reliable mode of transportation, we are not making googoo eyes are 10-20 year old cars (unless that's all one can afford...the cheap ones).

Old 03-13-2021, 01:10 PM

927 posts, read 589,735 times
They make cars all look alike with the stupid central console in the middle and they make everything touch screen so you have to look down to change the slightest setting. In our Windstar from 2001 to 2018 you use big knobs to change things and did it by feel without really having to be the slightest bit distracted especially on straight roads.

The Windstar also kept pretty straight where you could have minimum pressure on the wheel and it would maintain it's current course where most cars including our current one the slightest bit of letting go it wants to go all over the place. Note: The Windstar didn't have cruise control on it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive