Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 04:45 AM

45 posts, read 32,433 times

Advertisements

Both are beautiful full size cars that are sadly no longer made...Both were discontinued in 2011.

I have a DTS and love it, and plan to keep it forever!

I would like to get a second vehicle to keep the miles lower on the Cadillac.

I am thinking another DTS or a Town Car.

Anyone driven both? Which do you like better?

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 08:48 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Any 4.6L based model is reliable and fuel efficient.
If you want fun ride, buy late models Mark VIII. Thing is loaded up the roof and fun to drive.
Used Town Car? As far as it does not come from limo company.

Cadillac are not known for reliability. Engine is problem.

Even better, get Park Avenue. 3.8L was best engine GM ever made. And it's LOADED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCnTw6nunc

Old 03-13-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Even better, get Park Avenue. 3.8L was best engine GM ever made. And it's LOADED.

Are you talking about the Buick Park Avenue?

I like the car even though I am a dedicated Cadillac Man...

However the Park Avenue lacks a V-8 which IMHO puts in out of the league of true Full Size Cars such as the DTS, Seville, Fleetwood, Lincoln Town Car, or Mercury Grand Marquis..

Now on the other hand... the successor of the Park Avenue--Buick Lucerne was smaller (103 inches vs 106)..BUT the "Super" package included the 32v NorthStar V-8

(which the Park Avenue NEVER had- even the "Ultra" edition only had a V-6)

That is my type of car...ALMOST (but not quite) the caliber of the DTS.

Thanks for posting.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:51 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Get a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Forget about any used Cadillac. They’re all ticking time bombs. I worked for Cadillac for years. I know.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Get a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis.

I would if they were still making them!

Even though I am a Cadillac man...I love other full size American Sedans as well...though as far as Ford Motor Co. vehicles go I prefer the Town Car over the Grand Marquis. The Grand Marq is still very nice as well..

Sadly the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis were both discontinued around the same time as the DTS...It seems all the beautiful full size American Sedans disappeared around 10 years ago.

Last edited by StormClouds-Cantata; 03-15-2021 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 03:22 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormClouds-Cantata View Post
I would if they were still making them!

Even though I am a Cadillac man...I love other full size American Sedans as well...though as far as Ford Motor Co. vehicles go I prefer the Town Car over the Grand Marquis. The Grand Marq is still very nice as well..

Sadly the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis were both discontinued around the same time as the DTS...It seems all the beautiful full size American Sedans disappeared around 10 years ago.
Yup, the DTS, Grand Marquis, and Town Car were all last sold in 2011. 2012 Crown Victorias were still available in the Middle East.

I would definitely choose one of the Ford varieties given the Cadillac Deathstar V8's notoriety. Out of the ones I have owned - five Grand Marquises (3 2003s, a 2004, a 2006), a 2005 Town Car, and a 2006 Crown Victoria LX Sport, the Town Car was by far the least reliable. It was also by far the most comfortable and ties with the LX Sport for fun to drive.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Yup, the DTS, Grand Marquis, and Town Car were all last sold in 2011. 2012 Crown Victorias were still available in the Middle East.

I would definitely choose one of the Ford varieties given the Cadillac Deathstar V8's notoriety. Out of the ones I have owned - five Grand Marquises (3 2003s, a 2004, a 2006), a 2005 Town Car, and a 2006 Crown Victoria LX Sport, the Town Car was by far the least reliable. It was also by far the most comfortable and ties with the LX Sport for fun to drive.

Thanks for posting.

I LOVE my 07 DTS...That will always be my top car.

But as I said I would like to get another car to keep miles low on my DTS (it has 51.1K). With a second car I can alternate between the two and avoid putting to much wear/tear on my DTS.

Also-these types of cars are really a true hobby for me!

Interesting thoughts about your opinions on Ford vehicles vs. those w/the Cadillac NorthStar. I LOVE my 32V/V-8 NorthStar- the engine has around 275 HP..and was a revolutionary engineering feat by GM.

Yes I have heard of some folks having issues, but I plan to take good care of mine.

If I decided to get a vehicle by Ford Co....It would be the Lincoln Town Car..beautiful car. Much like my DTS.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:31 AM

Some thoughts I have regarding my favorite car..

The decision by Cadillac to discontinue the DTS was by far the greatest blunder any division of General Motors has ever made in it's 113 years of history.

IMO the DTS should never have been discontinued...If Cadillac won't bring back this vehicle then they should bring back something similar...revive the Fleetwood, Deville or Seville..

I'm sure Cadillac lost a loyal customer base when they decided to totally "modernize" the brands image while completely ditching the legacy of what truly made a Cadillac a Cadillac...

I agree that SUVs/sports cars have their place in the brand...BUT they should have left the DTS or something similar (another full size sedan) as the brands flagship.

Circa 1996 Cadillac had THREE! Full Size sedans...Fleetwood, Deville, and Seville...

By 2011...The DTS was the only full size sedan...The next year it was gone and sadly so was Cadillac as a brand..After 2011...the brand died for me.

I will hold on to my 07 DTS forever.

IF and only- if Cadillac returns to making the DTS or another great car like that- will I ever consider buying another Cadillac..The same goes for the other major auto brands..Lincoln discontinued the Town Car in 2011, as did Mercury the Grand Marquis.

Buick also discontinued the Lucerne in 2011..The Lucerne while not a Cadillac or a Lincoln was an attractive looking full size car-that offered NorthStar V-8 power on the "Super" model.

I'm sure their are many like me- who have left Cadillac as a brand, and like myself will hold on to a relic of when the brand was truly remarkable.

Last edited by StormClouds-Cantata; 03-16-2021 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 11:16 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,562,983 times
As I mentioned before, if you want nice comfy reliable daily beater, Lincoln Mark VIII is the choice. It is as loaded as it goes for the year, you can get second generation for few grand and have fun. That’s famous cobra motor that was designed for Mark and then went into Mustangs.
As practical example, I bought 98 MGM for 1500, single owner, all dealer service and new engine. It already saved me close to 30000 miles on my new truck.
You can find Ultimate edition for very reasonable price, which is as loaded as it could be for the year. Few hundred bucks to update tech and you have nice, reliable a, comfortable sofa ride.
Personally, I’d place Park Avenue Ultra over Towncar.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:36 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
I'd get a Town Car since you already have a Caddy. I don't know why you'd want two of the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive