Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 05:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,537,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
By the way, when you talk about "rules' remember that driving laws are actually just a philosophy!

If you, dear OP, follow that rule, how do you adjust the rearview mirror, while driving?
How do you move the small sticks on the side of your steering wheel which control the lights or windshield wipers?
Remember, your "rules" say to keep your hands at those positions you mention in your post?

Last but not least, can I put my hands on 10 & 3 or at 9 & 2 ?
WOW! Driving laws aren't real? They're just philosophy? I hope you don't consider yourself a law-abiding citizen.

And yeah, a logical person knows that hands can move away from the steering wheel momentarily to make adjustments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 06:41 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I know a lot of people that drive badly and have for decades. Doesn't make it right. And I won't ride with them. Bad habits aren't proper driving, nor are they safe, even if YOU have never had a problem with them.
I’m really uncomfortable disagreeing with anyone on this forum, but it doesn’t matter that I’ve driven in practically every country in Europe, while you may have driven in every one of the lower 48, it’s dollars to doughnuts that it’s extremely unlikely that we’ll ever find anyone who can truthfully say that aside from flicking the wiper switch, or turning the lights on or off, they drive with both hands constantly on the steering wheel.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I’m really uncomfortable disagreeing with anyone on this forum, but it doesn’t matter that I’ve driven in practically every country in Europe, while you may have driven in every one of the lower 48, it’s dollars to doughnuts that it’s extremely unlikely that we’ll ever find anyone who can truthfully say that aside from flicking the wiper switch, or turning the lights on or off, they drive with both hands constantly on the steering wheel.
Umm...I do. I find it strange that so many people DON'T drive with both hands most of the time.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
C'mon man, enough with the 2 hands on wheel BS. I drive stick shift for 15 years and always keep a hand on the shifter. With automatics I keep my hand around the shifter and only on the wheel if I feel like it. It has nothing to do with safety. Driving with one hand with stick or automatic is the same, one is that you are required to do so, the other is just optional.

There is no impact on safety driving with one hand or 2 if you simply driving on civilian roads and not on a racetrack where you are required to frequently make quick steers at high speeds.

I can drive in my sleep with one hand than many people wide awake with two hands.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,029,986 times
I wonder what all these people who never take both hands from the wheel did when driving a manual transmission? Did they make sure they never drove without a passenger, then carefully synchronized engaging the clutch while directing their copilot to "shift!" then disengage the clutch again? Or what happened when they needed to use the turn signal? Roll down the window?

Those struggles must be real.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I wonder what all these people who never take both hands from the wheel did when driving a manual transmission? Did they make sure they never drove without a passenger, then carefully synchronized engaging the clutch while directing their copilot to "shift!" then disengage the clutch again? Or what happened when they needed to use the turn signal? Roll down the window?

Those struggles must be real.
The majority of drivers are driving automatics. As mentioned above, even in manuals, hands should not rest on the shifter.

Folks, just admit it. For all the hullabaloo about modern safety features making people bad drivers, not having both hands on the wheel surely reduces reaction time in an emergency.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:24 PM

15,818 posts, read 20,586,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Apparently a move to get people used to idea of no-driver cars.
A little bit of a stretch to think automakers are all banding together to fulfill some greater conspiracy to automate vehicles rather than a simpler explanation to simply free up real-estate in the console area to put another cupholder or larger infotainment screen.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,029,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The majority of drivers are driving automatics. As mentioned above, even in manuals, hands should not rest on the shifter.

Folks, just admit it. For all the hullabaloo about modern safety features making people bad drivers, not having both hands on the wheel surely reduces reaction time in an emergency.
As much as I should hesitate to deprive someone of what must be nothing short of orgasmic joy at the prospect of telling someone on the internet "you're wrong" I just have seen too much stupid [edited so the moderator won't have to] to believe people who are driving with one hand on the wheel have cornered the market on unsafe driving. If one's brain isn't engaged (plenty of people do engage drive without engaging their brain) it won't matter how many hands they have on the wheel.

Can we just stop trying to make this forum a driver's ed class? Can we actually talk about cars without the world's best drivers, who all seem to post on this forum, critiquing others' driving styles?

Old 03-24-2021, 08:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,140,557 times
Using push buttons for shifting with a button for each gear, this feels unnatural. GMC and Lincoln use these type. I don't want to eyeball the dash to find which gear I want to switch to. The models that use a large round dial aren't too bad, as you can get used to it by feel without looking. Some of those paddle shifters like Cadillac, BMW, Prius, Mercedes are kind of annoying and I have to look them over good to figure out how to shift it, lol.

My vote goes for the standard column shifter, no looking involved, and I like the tried and true console/floor shifter for the same reason, but the console is where the pull up emergency brake lever should go.... so if there's an emergency I can pull it up fast to stop in case of brake failure. It feels very natural, more so than a button on the dash which I hate, or a pedal that goes click click click on the floor as you push down with your foot, and have to pull a hidden latch to release, or push down again with your foot to release. A console stick brake has that handy little button at the end which is so easy to release with your thumb, simply perfect.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:11 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,861,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
First we had it on the steering column, then it moved to the floor, then moved to the center console and now it's back to the column in the form of a little stick that could be confused with the turn signal. Don't know about you but I drive with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the gear shifter. When it's not there, I don't know what to do with my hand(no jokes, please.) We have a C300 in the family and absolutely hate driving it. I was at a Ford dealer the other day and the shifter was nowhere to be found. May be it's the future.
No jokes?? Come onnnn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive