Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Everyone has their preference in what vehicles they like, but the vehicles sold in this country doesn’t include wagons or small pickups.
By "this country", are you referring to Germany as referenced in the OP?

Wagons may be a tiny niche market in "this country", but they are very popular in Europe. Hence the reason the Germans are still making them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:14 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
By "this country", are you referring to Germany as referenced in the OP?

Wagons may be a tiny niche market in "this country", but they are very popular in Europe. Hence the reason the Germans are still making them.
Yes the usa its a nitch market,

Old 03-26-2021, 09:26 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Jetta Wagon! Its rides much more expensive that it really is. Low center of gravity and delicious steering feel. I have one and it may be the last cheap wagon to ever be sold in the States. I try to only put 300-400 miles on a month on it, its a 2012 with 72k and I want that thing to last me to my grave.

There are still some new VW Golf Wagons in my area for under 25k with some bargaining.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
A station wagon (often called Kombi in Germany) is simply a hatchback or a sedan with a longer (or taller) rear storage area and slightly longer wheelbase. It is usually a stretch version of a medium to large sized sedan or hatchback model, like VW Golf, or Passat. They don't make a Kombi of sub-compact cars like VW Polo (a smaller Golf not sold in the US). The VW affiliates Audi, Skoda & SEAT follow a similar approach. I see 7 current VW Kombi cars, not CUV or SUV.

https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle...%3DKombi%22%7D

The vast majority of people in Germany live in or near urban areas. Most people don't live in heavy snow zones or drive on roads where additional ground clearance is needed. Most people don't tow trailers aside from a little utility trailer once in awhile. This limits the need for a CUV or SUV.

When I go to more rural areas, such as the Ore Mountains just south of Chemnitz, I see a bigger percentage of SUVs, CUVs and even some 4x4 compact pickups. There is more snow in this region, steep hills, less snow removal on low traffic roads, and more people that use their vehicles for work purposes. No surprise that there are more SUV or CUV owners there.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I always thought station wagons are an American thing but somewhere, somewhat they started disappearing from American roads. Instead, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and VW stuck with it. They also happen to be their most expensive models, sometimes their flagships. Production is low but they have a loyal following. I don't see anything in the European lifestyle that needs station wagons. Small spaces, no pets, smaller families, expensive gas. Are they just for export?
Despite the media depictions we get of ‘typical’ European life, many a European family lives in medium density suburbia and appreciates the cargo space of a wagon when they need to do a run to the suburban Carrefour, Tesco, Aldi, IKEA, Bauhaus ....

Old 03-26-2021, 10:10 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Despite the media depictions we get of ‘typical’ European life, many a European family lives in medium density suburbia and appreciates the cargo space of a wagon when they need to do a run to the suburban Carrefour, Tesco, Aldi, IKEA, Bauhaus ....
And if you're on vacation, it gives you more cargo room for dog(s), luggage, camping gear, etc While proportions differ, a hatchback, station wagon, CUV and SUV all have that roof line carried further back, sometimes all the way to the bumper, providing lots of practical space for "stuff".

Old 03-26-2021, 10:30 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Europeans until very recently considered SUVs designed solely for off-roading and most Europeans will never off-road. SUVs are deemed too slow and cumbersome for Autobahn level driving.
Part 2: ever try to drive in an European city? It's tight in a small car!

It's not just the German companies that still build wagons though.
Swedish-Chinese companies do
French do
GM still does - the Buick Regal Tour X is an Opel made in Germany that is still sold in Europe and China.
Toyota does in the rest of the world
Hyundai does

Old 03-26-2021, 11:22 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yes the usa its a nitch market,
Perhaps you mean a Nietzsche market? Engines are larger, because of the Will to Power? The same model is rebadged under different makes, because einmal ist keinmal?

Old 03-26-2021, 11:28 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
I loved my Audi S4 Avant. I wish they had brought the RS4 avant to the US market. I much prefer wagons to sedans.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
The wagon I wouldn't mind being seen in was the Magnum. By all accounts it sold well. I had to go to make room for even more Jeeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive