Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 12:01 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,447,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
What can they say about the prospects of competing with rail freight rates?

And what can they say about the government requirements to switch to electric trucks? It's much easier to switch diesel locomotives to electric ones.
Even now, trains consume 75% less fuel.
Rail freight can only go so far not every city has a freight yard. Trucks transport the goods from the freight yard to the grocery store warehouses. Same with everything else. Trucking industry keeps American going, both ships, trains and semi trucks work together to keep Americans feed and clothed. And EV semi trucks cannot go the distance of a diesel semi truck can go. Ever hear of Just in time delivery that semi trucks do for the automotive industry. That’s how the automotive industry works now no more storing parts at the assembly plant. Everything that’s needed for the days production run is delivered that day. So parts are on the American highway 24/7 because parts are manufactured all over the country from suppliers.

Last edited by easy62; 03-29-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 01:11 PM

2,552 posts, read 1,322,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Ever hear of Just in time delivery that semi trucks do for the automotive industry.
If I order a box of shoes, I'm Ok with it first hitting a Fedex yard 3,000 miles away from me, then loading on a train, then delivering to me on a small van.
I'm not ready to pay $5,000 for a semi truck to deliver it to me 2 days earlier.

Even if I have to move a container with my belongings and it's $2,000 cheaper to use rail, I'll certainly use rail.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
If I order a box of shoes, I'm Ok with it first hitting a Fedex yard 3,000 miles away from me, then loading on a train, then delivering to me on a small van.
I'm not ready to pay $5,000 for a semi truck to deliver it to me 2 days earlier.

Even if I have to move a container with my belongings and it's $2,000 cheaper to use rail, I'll certainly use rail.
i wasnt aware that any of these scenarios were options of ours.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Well to bad rail car can’t back up to a loading dock in a. Assembly plant. Assembly plants work with inventory that is delivered right in time can’t be 2 hours late. And we’re talking about automotive parts not a. pair of shoes you have no idea in just in time delivery in the automotive industry. You think you do but you haven’t a clue. When i worked at Chrysler we had semi trucks delivering engines, seats, rims ,and tires every half hour.

Last edited by easy62; 03-29-2021 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 02:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 2,744,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think it's ridiculous. It's a regressive tax aimed at the lower middle-class and working-class. Way to stiff all the guys who drove to deliver you all your stuff during the pandemic, so you wouldn't have to take any risks.
Those taxes will be passed to the final consumer.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
...and they in turn pay income tax. Did you seriously not know this??
So private sector workers are paying TWICE.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Highways are vital for the US economy. They will be there regardless because that is how goods and services get around.

I have lived in London and DC, who arguably have great mass transit systems, and there is still tons of traffic there.

And who are you to say what makes sense for when to use a car? I bought $200 worth of groceries, what you want me to do, lug it all onto a train? How about pets, which mass transit system do not all on, how I get Fido somewhere? Hey, right now it is nearly 10pm, I want to run up the road five miles to grab something to eat...where is my train or even a bus? Yea, it is not there. I feed six separate cat colonies, what you want to happen, load all the supplies up in a train or bus? The get from the train or bus to the colonies how?

You sound like a person who does not do anything in life other than sit home.
..... and the train does not pull up to my door.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Don't forget to tax bicyclists. Now, they are the ones who are really getting a "free pass".
Exactly. Creating, maintaining, and marking those bike lanes aren't free and the majority does not want them.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Those taxes will be passed to the final consumer.
You are correct.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
..... and the train does not pull up to my door.
Unless you live in Petticoat Junction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive