Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 04:18 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,014,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't disagree but making it a lot more expensive to drive your vehicle or for commercial vehicles is a bad idea. And talking about creating a tax per mile makes me feel they are wanting to making driving more expensive. Simply flipping one $43 billion dollar tax into another $43 billion dollar tax won't add to infrastructure funding.
I can be convinced ONLY if the mileage tax replaces the gas tax, not simply add to it. I put no bad decision that hurts the working class past government though so I'd anticipate the mileage tax be added to the gas tax. Government usually gets these things wrong. With that said, the reason I can be convinced is I feel the mileage tax would replicate the gas tax cost-wise. Gallons used are a product of miles driven. Granted a person driving a Prius pays less than a person driving a full size pickup even if the miles driven are the same. I don't have a problem with the mileage tax being the same for every class of privately owned vehicles (from Prius to muscle car to pickup) because they're all on the road using it so all should be expected to pay. I'm not buying the afore arguments that the weight differences in vehicles make that big a difference in road maintenance schedules. Also, the mileage tax would result in revenue brought in by the small but growing EV segment. These drivers should be paying their part too.

Mileage tax ONLY as a replacement. Gas tax fully repealed and mileage tax resulting in little net difference to most drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 05:41 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
And next will be a move to have pedometers permanently installed in our bodies, and a tax on how far we walk. Those sidewalks aren't free, you know, and besides, you didn't build that.

Just sayin'

Old 03-31-2021, 06:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times
Get a horse...

Old 03-31-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
And next will be a move to have pedometers permanently installed in our bodies, and a tax on how far we walk. Those sidewalks aren't free, you know, and besides, you didn't build that.

Just sayin'
Trust me, I get what you’re saying. Go out and you get taxed for using public infrastructure. Stay in you get taxes for unhealthy lifestyle. No matter what you do government will find a way to tax you. Like I said earlier: government simply views the individual as a resource to be exploited.

I’m not anti-government. I view it as a necessary evil, same as relaxed. We do need revenues to pay for roads and sidewalks. It’s not unreasonable to draw that revenue from those who use it most. I don’t like the mileage tax completely even as a replacement for the gas tax because at least the gas tax is “anonymous” insomuch as your patterns are a little more difficult to track. What I don’t like about the mileage tax is the potential for a “high use” premium. Meaning if the govt deems you’ve traveled too many miles the tax per mile increases. I imagine that would be a part of it and find that completely unacceptable.

But yeah...I try not to discuss politics especially on a car forum.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:19 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,430,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Exactly right, man!

Not to mention the junkies, thugs and obnoxiously loud.
We’re i live there are no passenger trains and the only tracks by me are freight trains owned by the Grand Trunk the Canadian National. There is no bus system that is even close to were i live. I live in the Motor City were ice vehicles are king. We have no toll roads in any part of the state either. So mass transportation will be a no in Michigan, not in my lifetime. Now the government wants to charge a mileage tax and they want to raise min wage to $15 a hour. Us the consumer are going to be paying more for everything we buy this is nonsense. The democrats better get off their high horse and stop taxing everything. The green new deal is a joke the democrats ate hell bent on destroying this country with all their spending and no way to pay for it unless it’s through higher taxes.

Last edited by easy62; 03-31-2021 at 07:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2021, 07:25 AM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Mileage tax ONLY as a replacement. Gas tax fully repealed and mileage tax resulting in little net difference to most drivers.
States also collect gas taxes. Its one of the main reasons each state has different gas prices. If the fed does it the states will also. At the very least there will be a yearly inspection fees tacked on to your vehicle registration. Both federal and state. And then what? Pay the IRS your mileage tax? Or add it to your yearly registration?

But they are bringing this up as a way to fund infrastructure. I would imagine massive increases in fees if this happens. Otherwise why bring it up now?

Old 03-31-2021, 07:40 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,430,677 times
Quote:
States also collect gas taxes. Its one of the main reasons each state has different gas prices. If the fed does it the states will also. At the very least there will be a yearly inspection fees tacked on to your vehicle registration. Both federal and state. And then what? Pay the IRS your mileage tax? Or add it to your yearly registration?

But they are bringing this up as a way to fund infrastructure. I would imagine massive increases in fees if this happens. Otherwise why bring it up now?
Correct and our Michigan roads are a mess even though we’re the 9 th highest in the nation. State and federal government mismanagement of the gas tax is a crime. And our Democratic governor solution raise the gas tax even higher. In Michigan we pay a good amount of taxes and thers nothing to show for it. When i lived in Illinois you paid high taxes but the roads were taken care of, they plowed the snow in a timely matter, in Michigan they wait until the snow is about over to save on manpower. And Michigan roads look like a mine field.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
there is no point in giving the government more money to spend on roads. i pay a ton of money in tolls for my drive to work (goethels, verazano, turnike, gsp) but a lot of it is wasted on public transportation and other unrelated things like the world trade center. the government should just work on a plan to privatize the roads and sell them all off.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Oh, I agree with you completely. We get taxed and taxed and taxed and taxed and taxed and taxed. And then some. Any mileage tax I would want to see a complete overhaul of this little corner of tax revenues. But I don’t expect that. What I expect is just more taxes.

No thanks, says I.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:51 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,347,737 times
Just as a contrast, I've posted a link below to a permanent 24/7 camera mounted in view of where the principal Chicago-West Coast rail route ("Santa Fe Transcon") crosses the Upper Mississippi, The seasonal barge traffic that handles a lot of the bulk-commodity (grain, petroleum, etc.) traffic hasn't fired up as yet this spring, but it's just a matter of days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqX8uiqz5A

This is the un-glamorous "nuts and bolts" technology by which much of what America consumes is moved, and with the exception of the maintenance of the locks and dams on the river (U S Army Corps of Engineers) the financing is almost exclusively by private capital.

So much for all the caterwauling and grandstanding about our infrastructure by political hacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive