Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 11:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Yes, we do. We've been putting it off far too long and things have gotten dangerous out there. Doing it piecemeal and scrimping on it got us into a mess. We can't do it that way anymore.
its going to be done piecemeal and scrimping as needed. is that the best way to do it? yeah sure it is. there isnt going to be some massive multitrillion dollar "fixing all the infrastructure" project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 11:52 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
It needs to happen. We've put off spending money on infrastructure far too long. So we HAVE to pay for it, regardless of political bent, or we're going to have to resign ourselves to driving on roads not fit for 3rd world countries and bridges that are ready to fall down at a moment's notice.

How do some of you propose to pay for this?

I don't disagree but making it a lot more expensive to drive your vehicle or for commercial vehicles is a bad idea. And talking about creating a tax per mile makes me feel they are wanting to making driving more expensive. Simply flipping one $43 billion dollar tax into another $43 billion dollar tax won't add to infrastructure funding.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:05 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its going to be done piecemeal and scrimping as needed. is that the best way to do it? yeah sure it is.
If it was the best way, it would have worked now. It hasn't and you're kidding yourself if you think our infrastructure is in good shape, even though we've been doing it your way for years.

Quote:
there isnt going to be some massive multitrillion dollar "fixing all the infrastructure" project.
You're one of the ones that forgot the lesson of FDR's New Deal and how it got things done (and it's a net economic benefit, but you can't see that far in front of you)

Old 03-30-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
If it was the best way, it would have worked now. It hasn't and you're kidding yourself if you think our infrastructure is in good shape, even though we've been doing it your way for years.

You're one of the ones that forgot the lesson of FDR's New Deal and how it got things done (and it's a net economic benefit, but you can't see that far in front of you)
it has worked. i think the condition of the infrastructure varies for every piece of it. thanks for crediting me with the way its been done for many years. i wish i could take credit but im just an end user and observer.

well, i wasnt alive for the new deal but i doubt it was necessary. things break over time and they get fixed. its pretty normal and its the best way to do things.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:36 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it has worked. i think the condition of the infrastructure varies for every piece of it.
Your head is firmly in the sand, isn't it. You dont see all around you that all we've been doing is effectively slapping a cheap coat of paint on everything and band-aiding what can't be painted. it has NOT been working and the horrendous condition of most of our roads and bridges are testament to that.

Quote:
well, i wasnt alive for the new deal but i doubt it was necessary.
Wow. Just... Wow.

https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Deal

https://www.banking.senate.gov/imo/m...eTestimony.pdf

Quote:
Did the New Deal, as has sometimes been charged, exacerbate and extend the Great Depression? Hardly. The regulatory state provided protections that benefited all Americans. The administration could have treated business interests better, but they were often responsible themselves for the antagonism that persisted throughout the 1930s. Fiscal policy would certainly have worked better had it been better understood. The fact that we were slow to embrace Keynesian theory is one of the disappointments of the decade. Today, the lessons are clear. Government can make a difference. A major stimulus is essential and can promote recovery. We need to ensure that measures do not work in contradictory ways against the stimulus. We can do something about unemployment. It is as important today as it was in the 1930s to bolster security, as we turn our attention to health care reform just as the New Deal crafted a program, pathbreaking for us, for retirement assistance. The New Deal made a profound difference in people’s lives and in the lives of our nation. Now it behooves us to learn from the lessons of the 1930s and take the actions necessary to promote a return to prosperity.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:21 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
That’s insane. F that

Old 03-30-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Your head is firmly in the sand, isn't it. You dont see all around you that all we've been doing is effectively slapping a cheap coat of paint on everything and band-aiding what can't be painted. it has NOT been working and the horrendous condition of most of our roads and bridges are testament to that.
my head is in the sand? you are the one who said that how we do it presently isnt working. it obviously is working. people and goods get around the US all day every day with generally little to no issues. you are talking about a potential future issue which is a lot less convincing than an actual present issue. so its not my head that is in the sand.

i know that i cross several bridges 5 days a week to work, have been doing it most of the last 17 years. i have always been able to cross. in the meantime, one of those bridges has been replaced and work has been happening on others. so its working just fine.

im not sure what is appealing about spending massive amounts of money in some kind of gigantic overhaul but clearly it wins political points and is also totally unnecessary.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:33 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:

Wow. Just... Wow.

https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Deal

https://www.banking.senate.gov/imo/m...eTestimony.pdf
Some of these Bridges and bits of infrastructure that desperately need to be replaced are major arteries. How do you just close off entire sections of the city to replace a bridge?

Old 03-30-2021, 02:48 PM

608 posts, read 515,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't disagree but making it a lot more expensive to drive your vehicle or for commercial vehicles is a bad idea. And talking about creating a tax per mile makes me feel they are wanting to making driving more expensive. Simply flipping one $43 billion dollar tax into another $43 billion dollar tax won't add to infrastructure funding.
It's not "us" that have put off spending on infrastructure and maintenance. Tax payers have been paying for it to be done for decades through gas taxes etc. The Government spent it on lavish programs, pay and benefits for public employees and who knows what else, and then cry poverty all of a sudden when people complain. I miss quoted this. Meant to quote cvetters63 when it was mentioned that we have been putting off repairs and maintenance.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:10 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
The gas tax won't be raised, Biden promised no new taxes on anyone making less than $400,000 a year. To do so would make him a liar and Mitch will be there to make sure he keeps his word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive