Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 12:23 PM

17,639 posts, read 17,743,919 times

Advertisements

Seeing more stories about airless tires in testing for passenger vehicles by Michelin. Obvious advantage is never needing air nor worrying about tire punctures or blowouts. What we don’t know is tread life nor how durable is the material that makes up the flexible airless part of the tire. Will they gradually become weaker over time resembling a tire that lost its air pressure? Would they become a target of vandalism with people cutting the flexible material in the tire? What about vehicles with built in TPMS? Would there be a way to disable the TPMS so that light and alert would stop turning on every time the car is started?

I would buy one after they’ve been on the road for about ten years. I don’t drive fast nor do I drive a performance car. I doubt those early airless tires will be able to handle the torque of today’s high performance cars. But economy (electric, hybrid, or fuel efficient gas vehicles) could benefit from such tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 01:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,410,310 times
That sounds awesome! Then I wouldn't have to worry about those pesky spike strips when I'm running from the cops.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:21 PM

7,527 posts, read 13,653,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
That sounds awesome! Then I wouldn't have to worry about those pesky spike strips when I'm running from the cops.
Curious how the currently available "run-flat" tires do against spike strips ?

Old 03-27-2021, 03:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,688,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Or "protesters" putting them on the road to stop traffic.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,306,483 times
Didn't Model T have "airless" tires?

Old 03-27-2021, 11:37 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,764,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Seeing more stories about airless tires in testing for passenger vehicles by Michelin. Obvious advantage is never needing air nor worrying about tire punctures or blowouts. What we don’t know is tread life nor how durable is the material that makes up the flexible airless part of the tire. Will they gradually become weaker over time resembling a tire that lost its air pressure? Would they become a target of vandalism with people cutting the flexible material in the tire? What about vehicles with built in TPMS? Would there be a way to disable the TPMS so that light and alert would stop turning on every time the car is started?

I would buy one after they’ve been on the road for about ten years. I don’t drive fast nor do I drive a performance car. I doubt those early airless tires will be able to handle the torque of today’s high performance cars. But economy (electric, hybrid, or fuel efficient gas vehicles) could benefit from such tires.
Run flat tires already don't ride as well as normal tires. I can only imagine how airless tires will ride.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:21 AM

11,851 posts, read 8,062,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Curious how the currently available ”run-flat” tires do against spike strips ?
Run Flats are designed to get you to the next tire store ASAP after the puncture. They are not designed to keep you on the road for any endurance or prolonged period. They would eventually give out like any tire would. It would just take alittle longer for it to happen. Under normal driving conditions they typically last between 30 and 50 miles.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:15 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

I would consider it 3-5 years after 25% of the population is doing it. Pretty much the stance I take on just about everything.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:26 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,863,751 times
Nope, nope and nope. I like to adjust the air pressure at times, different pressures help for ride and mileage. Also towing. And I air down whenever driving on the beach, which is a bunch.

One of these tires for me, and many like me just will not work.

I'm sure they would be fine for somebody who wants an electric (or gas) appliance for short commutes but it won't be for the group of people who use their vehicle for other purposes.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:48 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,126,556 times
This is nothing new Fred Flinstone had airless tires WAY back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive