Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 05:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times

Advertisements

I bought a new OBD2 engine trouble code reader scanner the other day. It's a plugin with live data and a USB connection.
The USB connection allows you to get software updates via the internet and update the OBD2 scanner. The USB connection also allows you to print or save the results of a frame freeze scan and to do research on the internet with that freeze frame information.

So what the big deal you ask? it cost 20 bucks shipped. I've carried a cheaper unit in my car for a lot of years and on cross country trips it has paid for itself a thousand times.

Good examples are making the mistake of stopping for gas in a discount gas stations and having your car throw a code within 50 miles of having filled up your tank. At that point you thank goodness your on a cross country trip and just continue on so you can get the problematic gas used up as soon as possible.

Or how about the trouble codes having to do with gasoline evaporation containment always turning out to be the gas cap needing to be tightened or replaced. Another example is the cheap spring loaded style clamps on the PVC valve and other evap hoses needing to just be replaced with screw style clamps that actually keep the gas in the evap system contained.

Then there's the oil control filters and vvt solenoid codes, clean or replace the filter, erase the code and your good to go.

It is always the little things and with live data and graphs on this new OBD2 engine code reader checking out the cars before a cross country trip will be a snap.

So this unit is called the nexpeak NX301 model. I'm not selling or endorsing these I'm just pointing out a great troubleshooting tool buy. The link below is a great introduction to OBD2 scanners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-6dkjMmQ4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 05:27 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Im sure theres codes it wont read and wont work with certain cars, but it seems like this would be good for the average do it yourselfer, or even the not so mechanically inclined.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:17 AM

Default Your right here is what the pro's use being compared the a cheap obd2 scanner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Im sure theres codes it wont read and wont work with certain cars, but it seems like this would be good for the average do it yourselfer, or even the not so mechanically inclined.

Your right here is a comparison between a 10,000 dollar snap on scanner combo and a scanner not quite as good as the scanner I just bought. My scanner comes up way short but beats any diagnostic tool that was available even ten years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxsdCtxvtE

Old 03-03-2020, 07:07 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Yeah, nice find.

I bought a pretty decent Actron several years ago, about $140. I still have it and it works fine, but I am sure I could now find something similar a LOT cheaper.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:03 AM

Default It's the way of electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, nice find.

I bought a pretty decent Actron several years ago, about $140. I still have it and it works fine, but I am sure I could now find something similar a LOT cheaper.
It's the way of electronics, smaller, faster, cheaper. Just a good tool to have in any tool-box, glove-box. OBD2 scanner gets you to the problem right now. Think about the monster SUN diagnostic unit and the rest of the pollution detection tools and transmission diagnostic equipment this thing replaces.

Here' pic old one it did a 1000 codes
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a new OBD2 engine trouble code reader scanner the other day. It's a plugin with live data and a USB connection.-memo_scanu480.jpeg  

Old 03-04-2020, 07:55 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Sorry but not as good as a Snap on scanner at $5000

Old 03-04-2020, 07:56 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I’ve been using either a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge for years. It’s certainly not like having a Verus, but considering the cost difference, it works pretty well as a diagnostic tool, especially the UltraGauge.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

If there was open reference library available and common communication port on the car it would cost $0.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

But a lot better for the casual user having $4980 in their pocket than Snap-On's.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
I think that is a good idea. There was a guy on YouTube that had a Ferrari that kept throwing codes and the more expensive code reader wouldn’t work, but a cheap one did for some reason. He used it quite often to clear the same recurring code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive