Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 02:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,261,597 times

Advertisements

There may be a car market implosion but it will have little to do with loan defaults. Manufacturers are filling parking lots with completed vehicles awaiting computer chips and when the supply of chips rebounds there is going to be a massive glut of cars and trucks to sell.
https://ohionewstime.com/put-in-the-park/143283/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 01:56 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,722,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There may be a car market implosion but it will have little to do with loan defaults. Manufacturers are filling parking lots with completed vehicles awaiting computer chips and when the supply of chips rebounds there is going to be a massive glut of cars and trucks to sell.
https://ohionewstime.com/put-in-the-park/143283/
why can't they build cars that do not need chips?

Old 07-06-2021, 04:58 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,332,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The average loan term for a new car also hit a record high of 70.6 months in March. The most common term currently is for 72 months, with an 84-month loan not too far behind.

I said that leases are very similar to 72 month loans. I think of them as 72 month loans, with a buyback arrangement at 3 or 4 years.

I wasn't very clear, but I meant that leases and 72 month loans are the most common way of acquiring vehicles.

The average new vehicle loan amount was $35,392 in Q1 2021.
My car is 76 months old. It’s at roughly half its service life. I paid cash for it but if I’d had a loan on it, it would be paid off now and I have a ~ $15,000 car that is good for another 6 or 7 years. This isn’t 1970 where cars implode after 3 years. My fiancée’s Volvo S80 is a 2011. It only has 65,000 miles on it. It’s easily good for another 5 years.

I normally pay cash for cars but I’d certainly consider a 0% or extremely low rate loan. My credit has been 800+ forever. The cash does more for me in my portfolio earning money than it does sitting in my driveway depreciating.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:28 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,332,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Ditto for new cars. I inquired about a new 911 GTS and was told by the stealership their 2021 and 2022 allotment of 911s is already sold out, and people are paying $30,000 in added dealer markup. In cash.
New car buyers are skewed towards high income married households and much lower income singles. 40% of SUV buyers are 6 figure households. 37% of pickup buyers make less than $50k. My guess would be that in a big recession, the pickup truck used car market will collapse.

Citation: https://hedgescompany.com/blog/2019/...hics_by_income

Old 07-06-2021, 05:38 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,338,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Are you serious with that question? Do you not know how modern cars work? Just about everything is computer controlled and interconnected. Everything form the infotainment to the engine management is run by individual computers that talk to each other and chips are essential to that processing. Especially with the infotainment that manages not only your radio but also talks to the body control modules, HVAC, and the required back up camera system. The chips that run the displays are in high demand worldwide not just for cars, but for TVs and gaming computer graphics cards (that are being used heavily to mine cryptocurrency these days).

So no, they cannot complete the cars without the chips that run them.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Most of my kids have 6 or 7 year car loans. Some for new cars, some for use. One has never held a job for more than two years (maybe less) they just bounce from job to job and she was only making about $10 an hour when she got the loan. She could afford the loan payments, but got a shock from car insurance, taxes, and registration costs. Also repair costs. It has a warranty, but it does not cover most of the things caused by the terrible, Michigan roads.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
Quote:
It's not possible for many important systems. Many cars have multiple ECU systems such as ESP/antilock, AWD, the newer suspension systems, and fuel and ignition. Without the chips, the car wouldn't work at all since they were designed to use these systems.

The bad part about all these chips is that if you ever had a chip go bad they can cost thousands to replace.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Because it's no longer 1980?

Hopefully, what you really mean is why can't they build cars to accept more generic chips or have multiple sources for the chips. And those are questions the industry is addressing at the moment but it will take years to re-engineer the design and production process. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just install any cpu and memory chip, load up the software, and be good to go? The chips and memory are probably less powerful than what is in your smartphone and we don't seem to have a chip shortage impairing smartphone production.

Last edited by oceangaia; 07-06-2021 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 07:48 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,338,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The chips and memory are probably less powerful than what is in your smartphone and we don't seem to have a chip shortage impairing smartphone production.

Actually, it is: https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ne...chip-shortage/

The chip shortage is hitting just about every manufacturing sector.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Actually, it is: https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ne...chip-shortage/

The chip shortage is hitting just about every manufacturing sector.

Not the same problem. Smartphone shipments will be up 12% this year. The chip issue with smartphones isn't that they can't supply the number of chips that they previously did but that they can't increase supply as rapidly as demand is increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive