Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 03:30 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the suburbs, next to a forest, for decades, but never had this problem before. Brought my car with a Check Engine light to a mechanic, who found some damaged wires and acorn remnants under a engine-control cover. He said he gets the cars with rodent damage all the time. Apparently, Toyota and others have thought it cute to use soybean products for wire insulation!

I've done the search on what to do, watched some YouTube videos and the comments, where people argued about what actually works. So far, I've seen the following recommendations -- basically, anything with a strong smell, to deter the critters:
1. Commercial rat bait
2. Bonide Repels-All
3. Mothballs (I'm not using those, as it would repel me first)
4. Peppermint oil spray or dried peppermint bags
5. Strings of Irish Spring soap
6. Pieces of cedar wood
7. Dryer sheets

Today, I re-parked the car and stuffed the dryer sheets -- the only thing of these on hand -- and will see what happens.

Any recommendations on what has actually worked for you? Somehow I trust the C-D people more than the YouTube reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 04:53 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I live in a rural area and pack rats can be a problem. Have tried many different methods and the most effective has been cayenne pepper powder on the engine block. It can be purchased in bulk.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:06 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Long story short, I use the mothballs. Don't even notice any smell. This for last 10 years after moving to house with no garage, but a few squirrels, chipmunks in area. Two different cars, Ford Fusion and Honda Civic. Don't know if wires are soy or not. As retired widower, car now only gets driven twice a week on average.

A couple times my mechanics ask about the 2 soda cans with holes suspended in the engine area. I tell them the story of the 2 men in a bar, and one is clicking his fingers to keep away the elephants. :-)

Let us now how the dryer sheets work out. Around here they are used to keep bears out of garbage bins.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:51 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Just wondering what makes you think its chipmunks over squirrels (more likely)

Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just wondering what makes you think its chipmunks over squirrels (more likely)
It's mice here. They seek warmth.

Best to start and move vehicle every day.
Best not to park in same spot every day.
Best to open hood more frequently to check.

The Bounce fabric sheets do work good here.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:18 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It's mice here. They seek warmth.

Best to start and move vehicle every day.
Best not to park in same spot every day.
Best to open hood more frequently to check.

The Bounce fabric sheets do work good here.
How often do you replace the sheets ?

Old 01-25-2022, 08:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Long story short, I use the mothballs. Don't even notice any smell. This for last 10 years after moving to house with no garage, but a few squirrels, chipmunks in area. Two different cars, Ford Fusion and Honda Civic. Don't know if wires are soy or not. As retired widower, car now only gets driven twice a week on average.

A couple times my mechanics ask about the 2 soda cans with holes suspended in the engine area. I tell them the story of the 2 men in a bar, and one is clicking his fingers to keep away the elephants. :-)

Let us now how the dryer sheets work out. Around here they are used to keep bears out of garbage bins.
How do you get there little legs apart?
Sorry, i couldn't help myself.

Back to the OP, animal shelter is full of adult cats that could use a good home.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:57 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Pack rats have chewed through our CRV's fuel pump wires twice. They're on top of the fuel tank, so nothing under the hood helps. We had the mechanic coat the wires with silicone caulk the second time, to hide the tasty soybean coating. We also put a few mothballs in that compartment.

We occasionally get nests under the hood, so we leave that up. Also have solar lights under the car to discourage furry visitors, and use a "Dunk the Rat" trap to catch as many as possible. Bananas and strawberries make good bait.

More things we've tried: Irish Spring chunks under each car, ditto chlorine tablets, peppermint oil (didn't work particularly well).

Old 01-25-2022, 03:18 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Just another reason to love my new tightly built garage. Sure, its possible a vole or mouse could squeeze under the door, but less likely. No way would I ever own a cat.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:23 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
I used to leave the country for half the year so my Ram was parked outside, not being used for 6 month's at a time. One time I came back and it just wouldn't run right. I tried everything but could not find the issue so I limped into a repair shop and had them look at it.

Damn rodents had chewed through some wires behind the motor (so hard to see) and they cost me 500 bucks for the mechanic to splice a couple of wires. The hourly labor adds up when they have to search for the problem but I wasn't having any luck.

Damn rats or whatever critter did that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive