Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 04:38 AM

12,626 posts, read 9,765,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I am seeing a lot of electric bicycles around, and I am not in a big city.
e-bikes make riding 10-30 miles accessible to even couch potatoes. For local travel, in mild weather they are great, and if they ride with with a mix of pedal power and battery power, the rider will be healthier too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 06:42 AM

9,930 posts, read 7,283,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A lot of Europeans ride motorcycles through Canada and Alaska. But the motorcycles they ride look like they are around 250cc or smaller. I saw several of them riding through Fairbanks this afternoon. I often see RVers from Europe driving in Alaska and Canada, but I have no idea about which ports in Canada they disembark from. Electric bikes should be fine for short trips within the city, I imagine, but they are uncommon over here.
If coming from Europe, they typically disembark in Halifax but Vancouver is also an option.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:09 AM

10,946 posts, read 4,642,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A lot of Europeans ride motorcycles through Canada and Alaska. But the motorcycles they ride look like they are around 250cc or smaller. I saw several of them riding through Fairbanks this afternoon. I often see RVers from Europe driving in Alaska and Canada, but I have no idea about which ports in Canada they disembark from. Electric bikes should be fine for short trips within the city, I imagine, but they are uncommon over here.

europeans make do with far less cy-wise. they use graduated licenses over there...more training and TESTING to move up in displacement. I have been told by many people that by the time a european gets qualified for litre class...they can come to the states and win any motoGP in the states. 90-250cc are their bread and butter. (I just saw a couple brand new CT125s this elderly couple hauled to the campground...they set up the rv and explored the wilderness rec area at 70mpg...Id love to have a couple but the $4k base entry is, well, steep)

Old 06-17-2022, 08:08 AM

There are Chinese motorcycles available at a savings relative to the Hondas, but I imagine Honda gives you a better product, plus parts and service will be easy for Hondas - they are the global sales leader - maybe not so much for some small volume import.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,974,365 times
The price of gas is so bad, that owner of this Rolls hasn't driven it since before the Pandemic. See the dust covering it? It is much thicker in person than it shows in the photo. (It's in the parking garage of my daughter's condo building).

Old 06-17-2022, 10:44 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,954,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
e-bikes make riding 10-30 miles accessible to even couch potatoes. For local travel, in mild weather they are great, and if they ride with with a mix of pedal power and battery power, the rider will be healthier too.
Healthier, until you have an accident or a collision with a car. If you have a fender bender in a car, odds are very good that you won't be injured. The same minor event on an e-bike, bicycle or motorcycle? It's your human body absorbing the shock. Helmets are an absolute necessity, but they only go so far to protect your frail anatomy in a bike accident.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:50 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,755,277 times
I wouldn't dare to ride an e-bike in suburbs where unsuspecting drivers can't even manage driving within driving lanes let alone being next to them on the road.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Healthier, until you have an accident or a collision with a car. If you have a fender bender in a car, odds are very good that you won't be injured. The same minor event on an e-bike, bicycle or motorcycle? It's your human body absorbing the shock. Helmets are an absolute necessity, but they only go so far to protect your frail anatomy in a bike accident.
Meh. I recall limping in with a cane to visit the orthopedist after a bike crash in my early 30s. At the conclusion, he gave me his take-home message: "Keep riding". Yes, there are risks from physical activities, but there are also risks from physical inactivity.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:26 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,266,154 times
I remember back in the days of the "Energy Crisis" one of my co-workers bought a tiny Honda that got 50 mpg.
Of course, after the North Sea oil boom kicked OPEC in the pants, folks resumed buying LARGE vehicles (SUVs), despite the CAFE debacle that killed off the station wagon. Oh, right, SUVs were trucks and thus exempt from CAFE gas mileage mandates. Sigh.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:36 PM

17,666 posts, read 17,828,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/2...sk-netherlands

I would stick with a traditional bicycle. Cheaper, easier to maintain, and slightly less risk of injury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive