Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 01:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,254,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'd have to say "driving" in an area (city/State/Country/planet,) tells you more about the more's than just about anything else.

If a driver drives slower than you, he/she is an idiot.
If a driver drives faster than you, he/she is crazy.

See what I mean?
That’s a George Carlin quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
How is going 70mph "blocking traffic flow"? Seems to me that's pretty good traffic flow. You neglected to say what the speed limit was. An 80mph speed limit is not that common except out in the desert.
Because in many places a significant portion of the traffic travels in the 75-80 mph range.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Some drivers seem to be most comfortable following another car very closely.
If they're tailgating me, I get out of the way, and they tailgate the next car.

A couple of times, I've had somebody following too close, so I pull over out of the way. They followed me to the curb, then got annoyed that I did that. Drive for yourselves, people, don't depend on me!
Usually they quit “tailgating”/“following closely” after I reset my cruise to the 92-94 mph range

Old 08-02-2022, 01:29 PM

6,768 posts, read 4,466,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm driving down a 3 lane highway that had very little traffic then suddenly hit a school of cars doing 60-70mph completely blocking traffic flow. You figure these drivers won't tail gate or get very close. But I see drivers lined up almost 1.5 car gap and being very close to each other. Fortunately I got around a gap and made my move to cut in front of the lead group of drivers. The guy honked at me for cutting through but I blasted away and left the school of cars behind in the rear view mirror and eventually reached another school of cars.

Anyone tired of this type of traffic congestion?

In my area. If you're going that fast and that close together, and happen to be seen by the highway patrol. You will be stopped, and rightly so. The following cars have zero amount of reaction time should something come up. These young idiots dont consider this.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:42 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,529,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, I've seen that as well, and just don't understand it.

Some people are afraid to pass. It's usually one type of driver behind the wheel.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:50 PM

619 posts, read 336,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Driving above the speed limit is hardly "crazy". However, I applaud you for recognizing that such speeds frighten you, so you try to stick to side roads and stay to the right.
Where I live we have posted signs saying left lane for passing only. It is a common problem here. Long ago defensive driving taught its more dangerous to drive beside someone if you can-get passed these clumps of drivers lots of open space ahead, much safer place to drive too but most do not seem to know it.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:58 PM

619 posts, read 336,231 times
A similar gripe i have is right turn on red drivers who move to the center lane of three lane roads and drive the slower than the limit for no apparent reason.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:10 PM

15,655 posts, read 26,387,505 times
I always called them clots. And on California freeways that’s kind of how it felt. You get around one clot of cars, drive another half a mile and there was another clot of cars. I always felt that people felt more comfortable driving in that pack than they were breaking away and driving on their own.

I never called them a shortcut, but it just seemed a lot easier to get places by not using the freeways.

I have not noticed that in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:44 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,842,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Where I live we have posted signs saying left lane for passing only. It is a common problem here. Long ago defensive driving taught its more dangerous to drive beside someone if you can-get passed these clumps of drivers lots of open space ahead, much safer place to drive too but most do not seem to know it.
I'm not asking for people to go a lot faster. I just don't see why people have to bunch up like a school of fish. If you drive slow give yourself some gap in front of you instead of being so close that I can pass through your lane. It's almost tailgating. The problem I've seen are usually people who drive around the speed limit and leaving very little gap between them and cars in front and to the side. This creates a very dangerous situation where someone tries to exit and change lanes but could not do so.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:38 PM

10,496 posts, read 7,094,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
That’s a George Carlin quote
Yep, always happy to share genius!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive