Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 07:23 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,610,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m on stop 2 on the way home. Still no issues and I don’t foresee any from this point on. I’m taking a different route to avoid the whole Richmond > DC > Baltimore corridor (and nearly $50 in tolls!)

SC electricity is cheap as hell btw, even at superchargers.

I will readily admit that this long of a trip is rough in this car. The self-driving helps a ton, but this many stops sucks. After this experience, coupled with my prior road trips, I’d say 4 stop trips are the sweet spot. That’s about 600 miles realistically. After that, the “breaks” are just slowing me down too much.

so you are getting off I95 and heading up thru charlotte to find I81 and taking that to I78?

Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM

17,652 posts, read 17,769,149 times
Quote:
I’m on stop 2 on the way home. Still no issues and I don’t foresee any from this point on. I’m taking a different route to avoid the whole Richmond > DC > Baltimore corridor (and nearly $50 in tolls!)

I will readily admit that this long of a trip is rough in this car. The self-driving helps a ton, but this many stops sucks. After this experience, coupled with my prior road trips, I’d say 4 stop trips are the sweet spot. That’s about 600 miles realistically. After that, the “breaks” are just slowing me down too much.
Have you encountered any hotels or motels with charging available? Being able to sleep while your car charges would be a benefit for a long trip. If it’s possible then you could have one quick charge before stopping for the night thus reducing your charging stops.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:27 AM

19,076 posts, read 14,017,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
so you are getting off I95 and heading up thru charlotte to find I81 and taking that to I78?
Exactly. I’m on 26 now on my way through Columbia to Charlotte.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-03-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Have you encountered any hotels or motels with charging available? Being able to sleep while your car charges would be a benefit for a long trip. If it’s possible then you could have one quick charge before stopping for the night thus reducing your charging stops.
Plenty I am sure, I saw some on Plugshare. But the nature of this trip didn’t leave time for me to breakup the legs. I drove down overnight on Thursday for an event that started Friday morning. I originally planned to leave yesterday afternoon as soon as it ended, but the drive down was brutal so I stayed at a high school buddy’s house and left this morning.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-03-2022, 10:18 AM

6,603 posts, read 5,006,785 times
Quote:

Thanks for the real world numbers! Even that would be a lot for me - I can do 600 miles with one pit stop and the final stop being my destination.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Exactly. I’m on 26 now on my way through Columbia to Charlotte.

when you come up 81 thru winchester VA, at the exit for VA 50 is a great Thai place called Thai Win 2....my fav. early dinner time...

Old 10-03-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
when you come up 81 thru winchester VA, at the exit for VA 50 is a great Thai place called Thai Win 2....my fav. early dinner time...
Thanks. If the charger is nearby maybe I’ll stop there.

Just busted out of Charlotte. Heading to a last stop in NC.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thanks for the real world numbers! Even that would be a lot for me - I can do 600 miles with one pit stop and the final stop being my destination.
Comparing my gas and EV experiences, I’m fine with the 4 stop tradeoff to save money and use the self-driving. Anything more than that and the Outback is going into service!

Old 10-03-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks. If the charger is nearby maybe I’ll stop there.

Just busted out of Charlotte. Heading to a last stop in NC.

figures....just looked, its closed damn mondays!

Old 10-03-2022, 05:52 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,235,401 times
Quote:
Only some cars are free, fewer and fewer now. The charge goes to an app on your phone, with whatever payment method you set up.
Do you only have to pay it the fast chargers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive