Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 01:18 PM

61,901 posts, read 87,406,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And ironically the people buying larger vehicles to make themselves feel safer are actually making it less safe for everyone.
Yeah. I actually wonder how much larger we will go... and still don't feel safe on the roads.
Perhaps making bigger vehicles isn't the answer??
Size as an indicator of safety fails to take into account stopping distances, rollover statistics and even the risk of getting into an accident in the first place.
Maybe we should start to focus on crash avoidance?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/1...er-148696.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 01:31 PM

5,464 posts, read 6,082,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Yeah. I actually wonder how much larger we will go... and still don't feel safe on the roads.
Perhaps making bigger vehicles isn't the answer??
Size as an indicator of safety fails to take into account stopping distances, rollover statistics and even the risk of getting into an accident in the first place.
Maybe we should start to focus on crash avoidance?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/1...er-148696.html
Absolutely agree with this statement!!!

There will always be bigger and smaller vehicles, so that is a given. I drive I-81 and I-77 frequently. Trucks are a concern (the largest vehicles out there) but rarely the cause of accidents.

I drive vehicles on the smaller side of the market and the larger side of the market. The only one's I feel slightly compromised in while driving are the lower vehicles we own.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:36 PM

No passenger vehicle can compete with a semi-trailer truck. Yet.
(They are getting bigger too.)

Although we are trying very hard to create bigger and bigger road monsters:

https://www.carid.com/gallery/ford/f...om-wheels.html

Or Ford F-650/750

But back on topic:
Some small cars are cute and popular and considered safe.
Just not here, in the US.

Last edited by elnina; 10-19-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-19-2022, 02:16 PM

12,564 posts, read 9,654,327 times
While I totally agree that it's not a simple matter of "bigger is better"... I'd also say that it's not a simple matter of "smaller is better" either... extremes at either end are unnecessary, and probably unwise, IMO

Old 10-19-2022, 02:34 PM

20,299 posts, read 37,240,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
While I totally agree that it's not a simple matter of "bigger is better"... I'd also say that it's not a simple matter of "smaller is better" either... extremes at either end are unnecessary, and probably unwise, IMO
Agree with you. Every automobile on the road, moppet, tricycle, bicycle, and so on is designed to meet certain specification. For example, a bicycle cannot compete with a large truck towing a heavy trailer. Still, all the safety features have already been incorporated into the bicycle, so it is up to the rider to ride the bicycle in a safe manner following the rules of the trails, roads, etc. Accidents happen for numerous reasons including malfunctions, but what causes the most accidents is the driver, not the size or weight of the vehicle. It is the same with any tool, weapon, and so on.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:29 PM

7,131 posts, read 4,853,737 times
Two words come to mind. Toy, and Death-trap.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:09 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,564,954 times
Very fun looking, but isn’t it similar to a golf cart? I don’t think I could fit my golf clubs in it, though.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree with you. Every automobile on the road, moppet, tricycle, bicycle, and so on is designed to meet certain specification. For example, a bicycle cannot compete with a large truck towing a heavy trailer. Still, all the safety features have already been incorporated into the bicycle, so it is up to the rider to ride the bicycle in a safe manner following the rules of the trails, roads, etc. Accidents happen for numerous reasons including malfunctions, but what causes the most accidents is the driver, not the size or weight of the vehicle. It is the same with any tool, weapon, and so on.
Exactly. So, buying humongous trucks or SUV's for "safety" purpose and not for the designed purpose (hauling heavy loads) is pointless.
Because, like you said - no matter what you drive, the size of the vehicle doesn't matter much, but the skills, knowledge and awareness of the driver.
The driver, and nothing else is responsible for the safety on the roads.

It makes me wonder why drivers in other Western countries are confident and skilled enough not to fear to drive smaller cars. Why biking and cycling on the public roads is not considered a death wish.
You know kids as young as 7y.o. are riding their little bikes on the public roads...
What makes them so different than us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Two words come to mind. Toy, and Death-trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Cute? YES!

But, wonder how long it will take for the first one to look like a souvenir penny left on the railroad tracks.
Mentality like this is quite unsettling.

Last edited by elnina; 10-19-2022 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-19-2022, 08:48 PM

20,299 posts, read 37,240,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Exactly. So, buying humongous trucks or SUV's for "safety" purpose and not for the designed purpose (hauling heavy loads) is pointless.
Because, like you said - no matter what you drive, the size of the vehicle doesn't matter much, but the skills, knowledge and awareness of the driver.
The driver, and nothing else is responsible for the safety on the roads.

It makes me wonder why drivers in other Western countries are confident and skilled enough not to fear to drive smaller cars. Why biking and cycling on the public roads is not considered a death wish.
You know kids as young as 7y.o. are riding their little bikes on the public roads...
What makes them so different than us?

Mentality like this is quite unsettling.
I don't think that people are spending money on a large, small, or medium size vehicle, nor a bicycle, nor a tricycle based on size or weight alone. But regardless of size and weight of the vehicle, it is not the vehicle that is making others "unsafe," but the driver himself or herself. The vehicle is non-emotional; it doesn't drive itself to the DMV and attains a drivers license or permit. I have driven small and large automobiles almost my entire life. My oldest son rides a motorcycle most of each summer.

Why should any paren't allow his or her children on public trails, streets, and so on, without guidance? It is the same for the use of power tool, sharp tools, guns, and so on. Even in the animal kingdom the adults guide their young. Elephants do. We don't let our pets run loose on the street; the same should be done for our children.

The driver is responsible for his or her own safety, as well as the safety of others on the road. But nowadays the roads are crowded, so one has to be a lot more cautious. In the past-years ago in NYC for example-one could get a traffic ticket for crossing the road away from pedestrian crossroads. I imagine that I lot of people don't obey the rules anymore.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-19-2022 at 09:09 PM..

Old 10-19-2022, 09:58 PM

5,770 posts, read 11,404,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It would be great for a city or master planned community.
That is likely why this would be a limited purpose vehicle instead of a more useful vehicle. It is an enclosed, slightly larger electric 3 wheel moped. My gripe with the design is the rear fold down hatch makes it difficult to access the tiny cargo area behind the bench passenger seat. Not so easy to load bags of groceries, a bag of golf clubs or a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive