Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 09:07 AM

8,082 posts, read 10,102,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Buy a 55 gallon drum and a drum pump.
Here's your answer.

If auto dealers can buy it in such quantity, so can you.

I used to run a race car on ethanol. Bought it in 55 gal drums from Ashland with no problem. I'm sure you can buy oil the same way.

Call a couple of distributors and they will guide you in the right direction. Or even call the local truck or independent auto repair shop and they will tell you where they buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 04:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,767 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Your biggest issue may be getting rid of the used oil legally. (Please don't just "dump it.")
Give your used oil to your local farmer / Diesel driver who uses reclaimed sources in older equipment. It burns fine in diesel engines, and also is popular in our used-oil-fired space heaters in our shops.

Some OTR trucks have a metering system that constantly changes the oil by recycling the used oil into the fuel.

As mentioned, a 55 gal drum is gonna be tough to meet all your various viscosities and additives. 55G drum is hard to handle too (400+ #) Thus I use 15g drums, but have not bought any that way for 30_ +
yrs. Newer vehicles spec 0w-20 or 5w 20. Ole blue (Or what ever you have) might just spit out or leak such low viscosity oil. or.. some older engines will not build adequate pressure on 0W to oil the top end (Valves, cams). Motorcycles with wet clutches are not gonna be happy with friction reducing additives from gasoline specs. (Diesel spec is OK for MC / wet clutch applications)

Request a quote for Amsoil in a 55 gal drum for a wakeup call.
https://bulk-synthetic-oil-55-gallon...Diesel-Oil.php

Walmart / rebates from auto store might suit your needs better.
FWIW... check your local NAPA for filter sales. Ours is once a/ month on the third weekend. It's about 1/2 price, but varies on application (Air, cabin, fuel, PCV, filters are discounted too). Again, you could buy those at an Oregon Napa and have zero sales tax. Have a friend drop them off. We MUST head south for sun about now, and through May and even June) Filters fly free on SWA 100# / passenger allowance.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-04-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 05:38 PM

22,675 posts, read 24,654,149 times
I buy the cheapest oil I can find, that is usually Walmart.

I do an oil-change once a year on my decrepid van, usually costs about $20.

If you have an older vehicle, it really does not make sense to me to spend a lot of
money putting expensive oil into it.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:27 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,280,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I need to care for about 6-7 cars (extended family's cars add together). I have resolve to change motor oil every 3000 miles, which for the car I drive is only about 2.5 months. So it will be a lot of oil.

I see that oil price are going up and up and up. The last time I was at auto parts store, I remember 1 quart of Pensoil or Castro is now $15+. I bought the 5-quart jug and that was still about $50+ if I remember correctly.

Is there a way to buy large quantity of oil in a more economical way? Or are there prices it?

Also let's revisit this 3000/change rule. I heard it all my life; do people actually change oil this frequently?
Move to Georgia.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...7?athbdg=L1100

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-St...Quart/36250522

Old 11-04-2022, 07:37 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,248,302 times
Quote:
I need to care for about 6-7 cars (extended family's cars add together). I have resolve to change motor oil every 3000 miles, which for the car I drive is only about 2.5 months. So it will be a lot of oil.

I see that oil price are going up and up and up. The last time I was at auto parts store, I remember 1 quart of Pensoil or Castro is now $15+. I bought the 5-quart jug and that was still about $50+ if I remember correctly.

Is there a way to buy large quantity of oil in a more economical way? Or are there prices it?

Also let's revisit this 3000/change rule. I heard it all my life; do people actually change oil this frequently?
Amsoil sells 275 Gallon Totes for about $9k. That comes to about $8 per qt. for full synthetic.

I change my oil between 5k and 8k miles, depending on what I have on hand, how long it takes for shipping, and if I have better things to do. I only change the oil in my truck, motorcycle, and lawnmower. I don't feel like crawling under my wife's car. She takes it to Pep Boys, I pay the bill because they like me and give me 30% discounts.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:50 AM

19,158 posts, read 25,396,950 times
Quote:
1 quart of Pensoil or Castro is now $15+.
Damn that Fidel!
Dead, but not forgotten...

Old 11-05-2022, 09:00 AM

6,576 posts, read 7,179,847 times
How many quarts of oil do people’s vehicles use? Mine is 9 and it’s not a diesel. To OP I’d buy a 55 gallon drum as mentioned before with how many vehicles you need to service.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,625,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Here's your answer.

If auto dealers can buy it in such quantity, so can you.

I used to run a race car on ethanol. Bought it in 55 gal drums from Ashland with no problem. I'm sure you can buy oil the same way.

Call a couple of distributors and they will guide you in the right direction. Or even call the local truck or independent auto repair shop and they will tell you where they buy it.
Yup. Surprised it took that long.

Drum for specialty oil or an in ground tank for the fast moving stuff.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:40 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,313,046 times
I think 5 quart container or 3 gal container is the highest I can go. My wife already complains I'm too "Sanford and Son"...

Just curious -- no one orders on the internet for delivery? They have lower prices; I don't know if they are same oil or if shipping will wipe out the savings...

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Synthet...e%2C138&sr=1-4

Old 11-05-2022, 06:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,412,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How many quarts of oil do people’s vehicles use? Mine is 9 and it’s not a diesel. To OP I’d buy a 55 gallon drum as mentioned before with how many vehicles you need to service.

I'll bet that's pretty close to the upper limit on a normal passenger vehicle. What kind is it? My car is neare the other end of the scale at 3.4 quarts. It's a Honda CRV with a 1.5L.

Hey Paco, what's the oil capacities of every vehicle that's sold today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive