Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 11:05 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times

Advertisements

I need to care for about 6-7 cars (extended family's cars add together). I have resolve to change motor oil every 3000 miles, which for the car I drive is only about 2.5 months. So it will be a lot of oil.

I see that oil price are going up and up and up. The last time I was at auto parts store, I remember 1 quart of Pensoil or Castro is now $15+. I bought the 5-quart jug and that was still about $50+ if I remember correctly.

Is there a way to buy large quantity of oil in a more economical way? Or are there prices it?

Also let's revisit this 3000/change rule. I heard it all my life; do people actually change oil this frequently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 11:27 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Holy crap, is oil really getting this expensive?

I would start out by stretching out the oil change interval. 3000 miles is about right for old classic cars using dinosaur oil, but any modern vehicle using a quality synthetic oil should be good for at least 4-5000 miles. The Mobil1 that I use says it's guaranteed to last 10,000 miles. Especially if it's mostly highway miles, I wouldn't foresee any issues stretching it out a little closer to that number.

As far as bulk oil, maybe ask around at a few auto parts stores to see what they can order for you, or if you have a large farm supply store near you check with them. I live near a store called "Fleet Farm" and I'm pretty sure they sell oil in 5 gallon buckets.

If you have a few cars that use the same filter, you can get those cheaper by the case if you search for them online.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:38 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
No, $6/quart for Mobil 1 synthetic at Walm-Mart. Wally's is usually the best place to get oil. Maybe if you're picking it up at a convenience store. And correct, you could instead save 3x as much by not changing the oil needlessly every 3k. Just follow the service manual. If severe usage applies, that's usually 5k. Or don't and buy all your oil at the convenience store which is the only place I can imagine it's $15/quart for regular synthetic oil.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:44 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

Also let's revisit this 3000/change rule. I heard it all my life; do people actually change oil this frequently?

nope, I throttle back to 5Kish once they get older. I use the OLms when new. cept my old squarebody, its old school, 5K always or 2 years whichever comes first

Old 11-03-2022, 11:55 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
I need to care for about 6-7 cars (extended family's cars add together). I have resolve to change motor oil every 3000 miles, which for the car I drive is only about 2.5 months. So it will be a lot of oil.

I see that oil price are going up and up and up. The last time I was at auto parts store, I remember 1 quart of Pensoil or Castro is now $15+. I bought the 5-quart jug and that was still about $50+ if I remember correctly.

Is there a way to buy large quantity of oil in a more economical way? Or are there prices it?

part of the clue is your location....everything is wicked expensive where you live. Castrol Edge 1qt is $13 at an advance store in sunnyvale so yeah, its way more than I pay over here on the right coast. Last time I was there the only walmart was near foster city - that still hold?

Old 11-03-2022, 12:07 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
I think the reason is that CA has motor oil tax on a state that depends on cars. Over here you can get 5 quarts for $25 of Mobil1. It’s nothing more than taxes disguised as good for the environment.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:43 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:

Another Walmart shopper here for oil. And usually in gallon quantities. Albeit I haven't grabbed much lately so no idea about the price. But in the past, it was about $25-$30 for mobile1 full synthetic (5w30 was my most common grade). Sometimes, it's a bit higher for specific ones like high mileage, or extended performance etc. You can also order online and use plug-ins like Rakuten for some % back (or even cash back CCs).

You can also try ebay for larger quantities (like a box of 12, etc.). But these are usually part of oil change kits for specific cars.

As for the change interval - I'd start w/ the users manual. the 3k doesn't really hold true with synthetics. However, I would take the manual as the minimum. But more often than not, you probably will need to change it sooner... depending on how you drive the car.

The "most" accurate way to gauge is to have your oil analyzed. But with 7 cars and a cost of $20-$25 / analysis. You'll have to determine if that's worth it.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Depending on the car, Costco has a few different brands in the 5 quart jugs and it's definitely cheaper than the auto parts store, unless on sale. Last time I looked they had both synthetic blend and full synthetic. I Have to use the parts store or Walmart for my Nova, though, since Costco doesn't sell 10W30. You can also get motor oil from Amazon, delivered free if you have prime. $21.48 for 5 quart jug of full synthetic, but it's "Amazon Basics." Name brands like Mobile and Valvoline are $22 and $28 for full synthetic.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Buy a 55 gallon drum and a drum pump.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Costco, and Walmart. Buy synthetic oil by the gallon and replace it every 5 months/5,000 miles in places where it gets very cold and your cars do a lot of idling, or places where it gets hot, or if you tow with your cars and trucks. Replace the oil at 3,000-mile intervals if you use conventional oils, which was the case for classic cars (older automobiles).

Several synthetic oils are warranted to 10,000+ miles, and so Mobil 1 filters. Even back in the day I used to replace oil (conventional) and filters past 3,000 miles and never had a problem. I only followed the 3,000-mile rule on new cars, under the manufacturer's warranty, then changed the schedule to a tad under 5,000 miles/5 months.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-03-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive