Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 AM

15 posts, read 61,396 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just purchased a 2000 jeep and need to get an extened warranty.

can anyone suggest a company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 06:55 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsuga1977 View Post
Hello,

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ml#post3441256

Old 09-20-2008, 07:42 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Hello,

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL about whom you buy from.
You have a used vehicle and most reputable places won't sell them to you except at the dealership you bought it used from. If you bought from a private individual....then I don't know of anyone that WILL sell you one that I would be willing to trust.

P.S. Check your state laws, many give you 90 days lemon law type stuff...so basically, you have a 3 month warranty already.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
DON'T DO IT. Put $50 or so a month in a savings account. Otherwise you'll pay $1500 for a policy that will NEVER PAY you back for any of your troubles.

AFAIK 2000 Jeeps are pretty reliable. Why would you want a warranty?

golfgod

Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Hello,

Tough question, Brownsuga

Prior to my SSR turning three, I did some extensive Extended Warranty shopping and it was very eye-opening. Most of the Sales Reps were extremely pushy, some were downright obnoxious to the point where I actually hung up on them. I could not believe the lack of ethics and the sleazy sales practices.

End result . . . I spent a little more and purchased a Five Year General Motors Warranty and, although I've yet to need it, I am very happy I did.

Sorry, no more help than that . . . Good Luck

Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 AM

This is my first used car and the car will be used by my husband and me. The jeep seems to be in good condition but i want to get it completely check out. The winter is coming and I don't want to run into any problems with the jeep.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM

This is my first used car and the car will be used by my husband and me. The jeep seems to be in good condition but i want to get it completely check out. The winter is coming and I don't want to run into any problems with the jeep.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
First point: the time to "completely check out" a possible used vehicle purchase is BEFORE you put any money into it, not after you've bought it. Now you own it with whatever problems it may have.

Second Point: These vehicles don't have a good record of durability on many items, and tend to be costly to keep on the road as a transportation vehicle. (Don't take my word for it, get your hands on a copy of Consumer Reports Auto Annual and look at the owner reported failure areas on these vehicles).

Third point: Do have the vehicle checked out by a shop for any service items it may need before the winter.

Fourth point: Buying an aftermarket used vehicle warranty is less cost effective than putting your money into a slot machine. As a shop owner, I had broken vehicles come in that the owner ... in good faith ... thought his warranty would cover the repair costs. Not once did an aftermarket warranty cover anything of substance; they always had a clause or excuse as to how the car owner didn't comply with their maintenance requirements or drove the car when they should have known it would damage it to do so, or it wasn't a covered item, or some other excuse. This industry problem was researched some time ago in Consumer Reports and they also concluded that the aftermarket warranties were a waste.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:07 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Very valid points, Sunsprit.

I remember reading or at least hearing about that Consumer Reports article . . . definitely disturbing.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
FWIW I own a 2000 Jeep cherokee and so far it hasn't been any more costly to maintain than any other 8 year old car out there. In eight years of ownership the big ticket items was an A/C compressor that started messing up around year 6 and finally seized on me this year, smoked the belt in the process too. That repair cost $1000 between the compressor, belt and labor and tax. Yes I could have saved 40% on labor by doing it myself and getting the parts third party, but for the sake of discussion that is as realistic of a repair scenario as it gets.

Other items were scored rotors and warped drums at end of year 7; rode the suckers for seven years with one brake pad/shoe change, they were about done. I say that's outright impressive. That puppy cost $600 for rotor/drum replacements and brake pads/shoes. Last week a radiator hose cracked. $30 hose. It was EIGHT years old rubber that lived half in humid Louisiana and half in bitter cold Indiana, I say that's impressive. Oil pan gasket leaks a little oil here and there depending on the temperature and humidity out, what eight year old car out there with original gaskets doesn't? When the oil pan outright falls off the engine I'll peak down there and fix it. It'll set me back a couple hundred, which amortized over say another 2 years amounts to nothing.

So let's see, not counting oil changes at 3-4K intervals and three sets of tires in eight years (not including originals) the repair total for my 2000 cherokee stands at $1,630 or $135 a year if one were to amortize that sucker in advance. Yeah I'd say I'm way ahead of the curve. It's so cheap to own this car it's not even funny.

My fiance 2000 VW bug blew the timing chain and bent valve guides and valves. $2750 in one sitting on year 7 by comparison. Her rotors are next in the repair schedule. Nope, I'm still ahead.

Look, Cherokees, like most Mopar products, will start falling apart on secondary items at the turn of the decade. But the powertrain is bulletproof. That sucker will continue to drive you to work and back well past the time the doors rust shut. The gas mileage sucks on it (I get 15/19 on a good day) but it won't leave you staring at a transmission/engine overhaul repair scenario, by then it's totaled and it's the only point at which time replacing the vehicle outright will proof cost effective. Other than that it will provide you with cheap bare bones transportation for years. Mine's sitting at 150K miles on it and the engine runs the same way it did when it was one year old (minus the obvious layers of carbon deposit it probably accumulated internally over eight years).

I can't comment on the third party warranties as they are pretty worthless. You'll have a repair budget to contend with (eight year old car mind you) but it's as cheap of an old car to maintain as it gets in my experience, for the category vehicle you're in. People like to confuse grand cherokees (whole different bag) reputation with vintage XJ cherokees, so that may have some to do with anybody's perception of poor reliability. XJs are workhorses, the epitomy of a "drive it till the axles fall off" everyday transportation. Hell it even looks lower middle class, and I love it. lol. Cherokees are for people not concerned with creature comforts and bells and whistles, it's for people with median transportation needs who seek no "pleasure value" out of their daily driver, who have no use or interest in trivial concerns such as "resale value" on an already depreciating asset, and no time and money on towing costs becuse the 5th ignition computer secondary power bus had a conflict with your 5-section air conditioner climate control, twiched for a nanosecond and threw the crankshaft out your tailpipe lol. I'll take multiple rubber hose replacements over the next 7 years if it labels the vehicle unreliable lol.

Last edited by hindsight2020; 09-22-2008 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive