Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM

152 posts, read 850,142 times

Advertisements

Has anybody bought from Carmax and include their MaxCare extended warranty service? What has been your experience on getting things covered under the extended warranty?

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/auto-warranty/default.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times
I have purchased two cars from Car Max. Both were very low miles. I declined the extended plan.

It's a bet they're making with the money you front. They are betting that those major systems won't go bad. You are betting that they will.

They don't make money off bad bets. They've figured out the rates to cover their ass, based on data they've collected. For you to buy it is about 80% peace of mind and 20% covering the repair of a covered component.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:16 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
According to Consumer Reports, extended warrenties are not worth what they cost.

You would be better off putting what the extended warrenty would cost into the bank as a "rainy day" car fix-it fund.

There is a lot to be said for driving a car you can not only afford to own, but afford to fix, out of pocket.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
I bought one with the Max Care a few years ago. I almost never needed it. We did manage to get them to fix some things, right at the end of the warranty, so that the total they paid was almost what we paid for the warranty. I would not get it unless you really need it.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 AM

152 posts, read 850,142 times
Makes sense, thanks for the replies.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Much of it depends upon the car. If it's a reliable car like a Honda, then the warranty might not make much sense, but if it's a car like a Jaguar, where some models have annoying problems, then it could be well worth it to purchase the warranty. I'd look to it by vehicle as opposed to transaction.

I know someone with CarMax warranties and they have used them, and then someone who bought a vehicle from CarMax without one and the vehicle was out of warranty and needed a huge number of repairs within a year. It's all about peace of mind, though, with the warranties, and many vehicles do not need them sicne the likely repairs do not justify the purchase price of the warranty.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 68,090 times
I agree, Most extended warranties if not all have a max cap of $6.500, so if it is a 5 year warranty and have a breakdown that exceeds that amount up front or in the first claim, you are just out of luck. so if the warranty cost $3,000 you have already paid half of your own service work. On top of that they make sure that you do the maintenence, no aftermarket intakes and the list goes on. Normally there is a 3 month and 1000 mile grace period before the coverage begins. Just understand that those warranty companies are not in business to loose money.They would not insure vehicles that have a pre-exsisting condition or if they feel that particular vehicle has a bad track record.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 64,761 times
Smile Depends on Vehicle

We have purchased extended warranties for the last several vehicles. WAY more than made up for the expense with a Volvo convertible, a Lincoln Navigator and a Chevy Blazer, but not so much with a Ford Explorer. It's a roll of the dice, but I'd recommend one for a more complicated, luxury vehicle--just too much stuff that breaks and the proprietary hardware can cost a fortune. The CarMax warranty isn't bad except that you have to go through them to minimize your deductible. We've had no problems with any of the companies.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,303 times
i agree with the above poster. if getting a luxury car or one with a bunch of gizmos and you plan on keeping the car for high(er) miles, an extended warranty could be worth it in the LONG run. or if getting a somewhat problematic vehicle you plan on keeping awhile. why would anyone get an unreliable vehicle? well, because they want the car, i guess? enough to not mind fixing it

but if getting a reliable mainstream compact, midsize, etc....i would say forget about pricey extended warranties and as someone else said, put the money away every month you would have been paying on the warranty. by the time the factory warranty is up, you should have a bit saved if you're an average driver. and as time goes on and nothing goes wrong with the car, you'll have a nice little savings you can spend anyway you like

also remember extended warranties are offered by many at anytime. if you decide you want one because the car has given you some trouble within the regular warranty period, pick a company and get one before the factory warranty expires. with some money saved, its just a matter of buying later then at the point of purchase. at least you'll have an idea if you need one or not after some time of ownership

Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
The only worthwhile extended warranties are those direct from the manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive