Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 09:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times

Advertisements

This morning on my two lane road, there was a log blocking 40% of the other lane. So as I met on coming cars for no more than a minute from the obstacle, I flashed my lights alerting them....I hope.

So the questions here are:

how far (time or distance) from the obstacle should one alert?
what kind of obstacle should one alert on? The way I see it is anything that would require them to take evasive action to avoid something which could really mess up their day.
And then, that big elephant in the room, do people realize that others warn on things other than....................COP!?

As to the other issue of why didn't I stop and get the log out of the road? Because I wasn't outfitted to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 09:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,529,753 times
I would have stopped i a safe spot alongside the road, to flag people for a few minutes while calling 911 to report the hazard. If you carry flares (most people don't any more) this would be a great time to use one. Not only could a log damage a car, but in avoiding it someone could crash and be injured. In some areas where tree falls are common some residents carry a chainsaw in their trunk. Hopefully your light flashing helped, but normally that means "cop ahead" so people just slow down to the speed limit.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would have stopped i a safe spot alongside the road, to flag people for a few minutes while calling 911 to report the hazard. If you carry flares (most people don't any more) this would be a great time to use one. Not only could a log damage a car, but in avoiding it someone could crash and be injured. In some areas where tree falls are common some residents carry a chainsaw in their trunk. Hopefully your light flashing helped, but normally that means "cop ahead" so people just slow down to the speed limit.
An interesting solution......that is rather useless out in the country because cell phone reception SUCKS!

As said, I didn't have any of the necessary quick equipment to move it, from a lanyard to a towing hitch to work gloves to a saw......etc, etc, etc.......but that's another topic.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:03 AM

17,676 posts, read 15,380,050 times
I'd half think that flashing lights was a mistake at this point.. Because.. Flashing lights at oncoming traffic is about the universal signal for 'there's a speed trap ahead'

I'd almost worry someone would be so focused on looking for the cop, they might miss seeing the tree.

But.. Overall.. At least it would likely get them to slow down, so.. That would be a good thing.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd half think that flashing lights was a mistake at this point.. Because.. Flashing lights at oncoming traffic is about the universal signal for 'there's a speed trap ahead'

I'd almost worry someone would be so focused on looking for the cop, they might miss seeing the tree.

But.. Overall.. At least it would likely get them to slow down, so.. That would be a good thing.
Is it different in the country? For people accustomed to the country?

For I do it as well when there are animals presenting a hazard from deer crossing (had a deer strike and that was a very expensive no fun) to our HUGE TEXAS buzzards dining in the middle of the road to......

........the other week, there were two animal control trucks out along the same road with a very big steer between them. Of course, they had their beacons on, but never the less, I flashed my headlights to let others know they were up ahead.

What does one need to be, how long does one need to be around to appreciate when they are in wilderness territory?

Old 01-10-2023, 01:48 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,085,388 times
If I drove a road where these sorts of hazards were common, I'd plan to carry something in my car that could serve as an advance warning for other drivers. Flashing headlights at someone is subject to a lot of interpretation and may be ignored as simple rudeness. And, while the driver is wondering why that idiot was flashing their headlights, they're still flying along.

We've been conditioned to react to certain colors while on the road. Take advantage of that conditioning. There are a number of simple things that would suggest to another driver something might be amiss. Flares, a tangle of hazard red/orange or reflective flagging or piece of fabric (like pennants or flags truckers attach to protruding cargo), a flapping traffic safety vest, larger sized plastic biohazard bag that could be tied to a stick, tree branch, filled with gravel, or tied over a rock. The most sophisticated thing might be one of those plastic disabled vehicle warning triangles with or without a flasher. None of those items weigh much or will take up a lot of space in any car already loaded with personal gear. The K.I.S.S. method works. Use it!

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-10-2023 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-10-2023, 02:34 PM

17,371 posts, read 12,330,258 times
That is a nice feature of the Waze app as well, you can flag road hazards.

And yes I would presume speed trap warning, but would achieve the same effect of slowing down and paying extra attention ahead.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:46 PM

17,676 posts, read 15,380,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Is it different in the country? For people accustomed to the country?

For I do it as well when there are animals presenting a hazard from deer crossing (had a deer strike and that was a very expensive no fun) to our HUGE TEXAS buzzards dining in the middle of the road to......

........the other week, there were two animal control trucks out along the same road with a very big steer between them. Of course, they had their beacons on, but never the less, I flashed my headlights to let others know they were up ahead.

What does one need to be, how long does one need to be around to appreciate when they are in wilderness territory?

I'm in the country.. Flashing headlights.. At least for me.. That's "Cop is ahead".. Unless it's at night.. Which could mean "Hey asshat.. Check your brights"

Now, someone behind you flashing headlights.. that's a 'move over'.. Day or night.

Or.. It could mean "hey, you've got a problem with your vehicle, i'm trying to get your attention"..

but.. you see how many interpretations there CAN be.. And.. Who are the lights being flashed at could be a question as well.. You're flashing your lights.. Are you flashing at a car coming towards you, or at the vehicle in front of you?

There was nothing WRONG with flashing the headlights.. Just.. No one was going to have a clue you were flashing about a tree in the road.. One would HOPE that any way they interpreted it.. They would have slowed down..

Old 01-10-2023, 02:47 PM

17,371 posts, read 12,330,258 times
In the country can also mean deer ahead.

Old 01-10-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
..........but.. you see how many interpretations there CAN be.. And.. Who are the lights being flashed at could be a question as well.. You're flashing your lights.. Are you flashing at a car coming towards you, or at the vehicle in front of you?
Out there, it is just usually me and thee, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive