Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 08:45 AM

432 posts, read 414,527 times

Advertisements

I have been flashed at for cops, obstacles in the road, animals, etc..

I have flashed other for animals in the road - for deer I stopped after a few because they were crossing. For a snapping turtle I flashed for a good half-mile - he was not moving fast. For a moose I flashed, but he was obvious.
I remember flashing like crazy at a a Range Rover once when there were 2 young elk in the road - he didn't slow down and I saw the panic stop in the rear view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 08:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I have been flashed at for cops, obstacles in the road, animals, etc..

I have flashed other for animals in the road - for deer I stopped after a few because they were crossing. For a snapping turtle I flashed for a good half-mile - he was not moving fast. For a moose I flashed, but he was obvious.
I remember flashing like crazy at a a Range Rover once when there were 2 young elk in the road - he didn't slow down and I saw the panic stop in the rear view.
Are you sure you aren't me? In the times before my cell phone, there was a large snapping turtle in busy city traffic that I called the cops on.

Weird this morning, dense fog on that road out there, visibility less than 100 yards.....and there are people who think that since it is day, they don't need their headlights. I was 15 below the speed limit and pulling off where I could to let people pass me.......and crossing my fingers as I pulled out again that someone didn't pop out of the ether and land in my 6.

Finally, to give an illustration of the road out there, there are places where I drive far to my side, where the road doesn't even have a lane divider, and well below the speed limit.......because one can easily go around a bend and find the oncoming, maybe even a school bus, in their lap!

Old 01-11-2023, 08:54 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I do know that.....and I do know there is a risk of being ticketed for doing that............but I do alert others to hazards in the road ahead................and I wonder if others know flashing lights for other reasons.

As to why not call the cops instead, well, two things. First of all, as previously stated, cell service out in those regions SUCKS! Secondly..........one should not be on their phone while driving. In many parts, one can be ticketed for that.
First off, I've done *a lot* of rural driving so personally I'd have taken it as a "look out ahead", maybe a cop but maybe something else.

So, well done.

Second, I full agree how bad cell service can be. That's why I've warned people traveling into the countryside to not take cell phone mapping as a given availability and have some idea of where you are going.

Lastly, I have hands free built into my car. I push a button and can say "Call Mom" or "Call John Smith" and voila...no taking my eyes off anything and then it's no different than if I were talking to a passenger. Just fyi.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
..........Lastly, I have hands free built into my car. I push a button and can say "Call Mom" or "Call John Smith" and voila...no taking my eyes off anything and then it's no different than if I were talking to a passenger. Just fyi.
Not criticizing and that is you but for reasons of attention, when I am talking from home with people who have that, I tell them to call me when they are not driving.....and for similar approaches, I don't do it myself......

.........and if they ever outlaw even that, I am going to be pulled over a lot for talking outloud to myself is an old habit, back from the time when they said to think out loud as a method to stay alert on long trips.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:18 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
There is no universal signalling with lights that is taught, that I am aware. I use a variation of what getatag mentioned.

One high beam flash is "pay attention there may be speed trap or danger up ahead", if they are not, and miss it, I figure they deserve whatever happens because they are not paying attention.

Two high beam blinks, pause, and two more (if time before they pass as on coming traffic) is "turn your lights on", generally used at dusk, night time. Seems to happen most after a vehicle leaves some super lit up service area and they forget to turn their lights back on.

Third scenario (I rarely use due to type of roadways I have majority of my driving on) is when a driver behind wants to pass and flashes high beam at vehicle ahead. This I have received probably five times more than I have used in my driving when someone wanted to pass. It is not a problem on multi lane highways, but on a rural two lane road I would bear to right lane marking, and let off accelerator to give them opportunity to pass. Generally, high speed night time rural driving is recipe for accidents, especially in areas with larger wildlife (deer etc..) that can cause damage and kill drivers.

Fourth scenario is anytime I see flashing EMS/police lights up ahead, or a disabled or abandoned vehicle near the roadway, I push my hazard lights on to warn anyone behind me to know they need to continue with caution. This type of accident has gone up quite a bit, and I don't know why they haven't made a PSA for drivers to turn on Hazards as standard operating procedure in this scenario to spread the "caution". Whether the inattentive drivers notice or not.

Tangentially, Ohio has recently updated the distracted driving laws to enable stronger enforcement.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/ohio/ohios...now-in-effect/

Last edited by ciceropolo; 01-11-2023 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Additional

Old 01-11-2023, 10:09 AM

841 posts, read 553,035 times
Rural Texas here. Two to three flashes is pretty common here for something ahead (deer, cows, debris, etc.), but not for a minute after passing. Maybe 20 seconds. Any longer than that and people have already stopped looking for whatever it is or it may have even moved.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
My aunt 'flashed' ahead to warn of a speed trap. She actually ended up getting a ticket for alerted the driver's ahead, lol. No good deed goes unpunished.

It should have been dismissed. This has made it to the Supreme Court (Technically, it might only have been a STATE supreme court, so.. some wiggle room here) that flashing your lights is protected free speech.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment...light-flashing

Kinda astounding that crap like that even has to waste the time of the courts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
around these parts, the comm could mean "Hey drunkard... turn ON your headlights."

Fair point. And yet another valid 'headlight flashing' reason.

I've actually seen a cop do this before.

Old 01-11-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
This morning on my two lane road, there was a log blocking 40% of the other lane. So as I met on coming cars for no more than a minute from the obstacle, I flashed my lights alerting them....I hope.

So the questions here are:

how far (time or distance) from the obstacle should one alert?
what kind of obstacle should one alert on? The way I see it is anything that would require them to take evasive action to avoid something which could really mess up their day.
And then, that big elephant in the room, do people realize that others warn on things other than....................COP!?

As to the other issue of why didn't I stop and get the log out of the road? Because I wasn't outfitted to do so.
Phrasing. #archer#headlights

Couldn't resist.

Old 01-11-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Not criticizing and that is you but for reasons of attention, when I am talking from home with people who have that, I tell them to call me when they are not driving.....and for similar approaches, I don't do it myself......

.........and if they ever outlaw even that, I am going to be pulled over a lot for talking outloud to myself is an old habit, back from the time when they said to think out loud as a method to stay alert on long trips.
No offense taken, let's reflect.

For example, I once drove in a BMW driven by a former F-14 pilot. He drove really fast but could have been doing 4 other things and still been perfectly fine, training.

Not everyone, depending on training, age, medical or physical conditions etc. can all drive the same comfortably.

That's just basic logic.

So I respect people whom are both uncomfortable with it and comfortable with it rather than to impose my template of ability onto everyone else.

I haven't had an accident in 35 years and have been using hands free now for 7 years.

I will NOT drive and look at my phone for texts etc.

I just drove out of downtown Chicago while talking to a buddy hands-free, easy peasy.

My mom on the other hand is a danger to walk and listen to her phone at the same time. Great lady, just getting up in the years. Let's not judge everyone by our own personal yardstick.

Old 01-11-2023, 05:57 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It should have been dismissed. This has made it to the Supreme Court (Technically, it might only have been a STATE supreme court, so.. some wiggle room here) that flashing your lights is protected free speech.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment...light-flashing

Kinda astounding that crap like that even has to waste the time of the courts..

Fair point. And yet another valid 'headlight flashing' reason.

I've actually seen a cop do this before.
Good point. If it were me, I would have fought it for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive