Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

I want to buy salvage cars, rebuild them, use for some time and then sell them. I am a individual and not a dealer, do you know how many cars can i buy and get rebuild certificate in year ? Anybody has experience in getting rebuild title in Virginia ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 07:51 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn123 View Post
I want to buy salvage cars, rebuild them, use for some time and then sell them. I am a individual and not a dealer, do you know how many cars can i buy and get rebuild certificate in year ? Anybody has experience in getting rebuild title in Virginia ?
The biggest thing doing this is to find customers/suckers that don't know vehicles with rebuilder/totaled titles are almost worthless.

Last edited by sam812; 02-14-2023 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 08:02 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
Quote:

If you drive them it is your safety at play if not properly repaired.

But most people steer away from them no matter how well you fix them, so resell is a money loosing proposition.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 2,008 times
Please let me know if this possible in virginia, not interested in any post on whether rebuild cars are junk / worthless or good buy.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Please let me know if this possible in virginia, not interested in any post on whether rebuild cars are junk / worthless or good buy.
Go to or call any DMV in Virginia and ask? They probably even have the info on their website. Asking on the internet isn't the best idea.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Unless you're a state licensed rebuilder, individuals can not schedule or present a rebuilt salvage vehicle to the state for inspection/examination. Without that state inspection/exmainati0on certification, it can not be registered for use on any road in Virginia. You can buy a salvage vehicle from anywhere yourself, fix it, get some state licensed rebuilder to do the paperwork and take the vehicle to have it inspected/examined under their license so you can get the certification to change the title from salvage to rebuilt. Just know that the title will still show branded.

ETA: The salvage/rebuilt inspection/examination is not the same as the annual required state inspection. This one is just for rebuilt vehicles to ensure all work performed is proper and the vehicle is safe to return to the road. Think of it as the annual inspection on steroids!

Old 02-15-2023, 05:40 AM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
Rebuilding wrecked automobiles is a hit or miss proposition. To get them inspected after being fixed is quite a hassle in most states. You've got to purchase new parts or used parts and document the serial numbers used parts are coming off of.

Our state requires a special license for a rebuilding shop. That requires business insurance and a commercial building. I know two big body shops and neither has the special business license to rebuild salvage vehicles. They say it's just not worth the time required to come up to state regulations.

The states are careful as they're trying to minimize chop shops and stealing cars for their specific parts.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:03 AM

5,806 posts, read 2,934,065 times
Got a Lexus truck for wife a few years ago from an auction. Minor damage. Was repaired in Florida by a friend and given a rebuilt title.
Registered it in NY and they required a state inspection within 2 years. Inspection was easy and the car passed with no issues. I was worried hearing about horror stories.
Far has been great so far.

Overall, got the car for half the price of a regular car, similar year and spec. It’s a daily car I think we will reach 200k before parting ways.

I like saving money and using it for investing. Id buy a S class for half the price if I knew the repair history.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Got a Lexus truck for wife a few years ago from an auction. Minor damage. Was repaired in Florida by a friend and given a rebuilt title.
Registered it in NY and they required a state inspection within 2 years. Inspection was easy and the car passed with no issues. I was worried hearing about horror stories.
Far has been great so far.

Overall, got the car for half the price of a regular car, similar year and spec. It’s a daily car I think we will reach 200k before parting ways.

I like saving money and using it for investing. Id buy a S class for half the price if I knew the repair history.
You hit the good and bad of rebuilders. They can be a very nice cheap vehicle that only had some minor cosmetic damage. The bad, you think you got it cheap wait till you try to sell it and then you will know what cheap is. Here(South Dakota) dealers won't even take them in on trade.

It has been a while but we used to get 4 vehicles per year per person before you have to be a dealer. We also don't have any type of inspection.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
How many cars can you sell in one year in Virginia?
In Virginia, private vehicle owners can sell or display to sell up to five total vehicles over a 12 consecutive month time period. Any vehicles above five within that time period requires the seller to become a licensed an authorized dealer in Virginia.

Rebuilding totaled cars was what kept me off the streets from age 14 - 18, good thing, since I rebuilt several muscle cars, including a Hemi Cuda and 340 Duster and 66 Nova SS. My SS teacher was a licensed rebuilder and had interest in keeping me off the streets . They are about 50% value after repair, but I did it for fun, and also made enough $$ to buy my parents a house when I was age 19.

We could do (5) cars / yr without dealer license (at the time). Some states make it nearly impossible, but foruntately my neighboring state is very easy, so I title there (but not register), then I re-title and register in my state, no hassle, no questions, 100% legal. Since you are so close to Vermont, you could explore that avenue (The only state that will title with a 'bill-of-sale' AFAIK).

Of my 48 cars I have at the moment, 3 are wearing 'builder' titles. One of them has over 300,000 miles and is still fine. It got rear-ended due to a chain reaction of SUV traveling too fast on wet roads, while talking in cell phone rather than driving. (Very common). Since the majority of my daily drivers can no longer be replaced by re-buying used (50+ mpg on home brew), I have to buy them back and rebuild them when some idiot smacks them (3x in parking lots).

Buying a wreck is very inexpensive way to get a fun car that you could not afford otherwise. Fix'em, drive'em, sell them (cheap, but a very good deal to someone else who wants to drive and enjoy them for awhile (or forever).

just know the rules and plan your strategy accordingly,
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicle...ed_rebuilt.asp
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicle...larsalvage.asp
https://wallethub.com/answers/ci/sal...ia-2140749374/
https://ezsuretybonds.com/blog/virgi...get%20licensed.

You learn a lot of useful skills rebuilding totalled cars, I use those skills everyday (50 yrs later).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive