Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 02:13 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times

Advertisements

I have a CVT. I hate the droning sound. Getting used to them. My wife has a dual clutch transmission, and it is a lot more engaging and fun to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 05:09 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,855,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
lol and we do. its why these threads are all over the net with 10x more complaints than praise (granted this is not an 'auto board' by any stretch of the imagination). log into allpar (mopar stuff) or TN one day for S&Gs Its why cvt resale is like what, half that of shifting cars? just try GIVING away a stellantis compass. there's 30G down the crapper...
As to Honda transmissions, if you are going to pick on their CVT's, then why don't we look at the failure rate for the ~98 Accord and the same era Acura transmissions. They were known to be a weak link.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:47 PM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I have a CVT. I hate the droning sound. Getting used to them. My wife has a dual clutch transmission, and it is a lot more engaging and fun to drive.
I have a forester with a CVT, quietest car I've ever owned.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:24 PM

10,832 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
As to Honda transmissions, if you are going to pick on their CVT's, then why don't we look at the failure rate for the ~98 Accord and the same era Acura transmissions. They were known to be a weak link.

sure, this 25 years ago puts it in the range of the aforementioned AX series - long since razor blades

Old 03-31-2023, 08:44 PM

334 posts, read 170,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
lol and we do. its why these threads are all over the net with 10x more complaints than praise (granted this is not an 'auto board' by any stretch of the imagination). log into allpar (mopar stuff) or TN one day for S&Gs Its why cvt resale is like what, half that of shifting cars? just try GIVING away a stellantis compass. there's 30G down the crapper...
obviously there are going to be personal preferences, but there are no long term success stories outside of noise. we as a nation STILL trade them in from new in 30-40K, about half the distance to a failure which is mileage based, not year. And we as a nation still only keep cars just over 55K for any service life.
goto copart....look how many none to lightly damaged nissans are in there because the tranny sword of damocles put it in the yard. (CVT subies are another whose normal resale value plummets when a cvt is installed)
I wasn't aware of that and I don't know if there are any official figures to look at failure rates. The volume at which they are made is large and I doubt people are discarding the cars after a few years. They just started making them in 2013, not a long ago. Those are new cars (by my standard). Do people simply put in new CVTs then? I doubt there is a rebuild, due to complexity.

Toyota stayed with conventional automatics in RAV4s and Camrys, but I don't think those 8 or 10 speed ones are going to be less of an issue down the road.
I guess Toyota eCVT is the best approach then.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:45 AM

12,392 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
I wasn't aware of that and I don't know if there are any official figures to look at failure rates. The volume at which they are made is large and I doubt people are discarding the cars after a few years. They just started making them in 2013, not a long ago. Those are new cars (by my standard). Do people simply put in new CVTs then? I doubt there is a rebuild, due to complexity.

Toyota stayed with conventional automatics in RAV4s and Camrys, but I don't think those 8 or 10 speed ones are going to be less of an issue down the road.
I guess Toyota eCVT is the best approach then.
The reason that you weren't aware of that is because it's not an accurate characterization.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:33 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The reason that you weren't aware of that is because it's not an accurate characterization.
That whole wall of text was fabrication. It’s pointless to bother correcting all the assertions that were totally false.

Some truths:
Early JATCO CVT transmissions were a disaster and tainted the technology

A CVT is awful in an underpowered car. You put your foot to the floor. It makes a lot of noise but nothing happens. It’s like a 200 pound guy riding a 50cc mini bike like an old Honda mini trail with an automatic clutch.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:46 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
CVT belts do not stretch. The are made from steel.
Are you under the impression that steel does not stretch?

Old 04-01-2023, 06:53 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
They must be cheaper for manufacturer, but appear no cheaper to repair...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Check back in 50 yrs and report on the reliability of your CVT, especially if it is in heavy duty service.

I don't think those are the problems CVT attempts to solve.

The problem CVT attempts to solve is MPG. Ever increasing MPG standards.

CVTs have the theoretical advantage that the driver can keep the engine near optimal RPMs for normal acceleration during daily driving and also near optimal RPMs for constant speed during daily driving.

And in general CVTs weigh a bit less than more conventional transmissions; shaving pounds ultimately helps MPG.

Regulators in Washington DC don't care about costs to manufacture.
Regulators in Washington DC don't care about the impact on vehicle price.
Regulators in Washington DC don't care about the maintenance costs.
Regulators in Washington DC don't care about the resale value.
Regulators in Washington DC don't care about CVT durability.
Regulators in Washington DC don't care about Total Cost of Ownership.

Regulators in Washington DC care about MPG.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-01-2023 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-01-2023, 08:35 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
If we look at reliable brands, known for longevity and high mileage, they all introduced CVTs but some were more aggressive. I'm sure they know that CVTs are best suited for smaller vehicles.
Honda
2013 - Accord
2014 - Civic
2015 - CRV

Toyota
2014 - Corolla
Camry and RAV4 have never used CVTs. ..
Subaru also started using them in 2014.

To OP's original question, it seems that there were notably more problems with earlier CVT's than found today.

It's likely they're just about on par durability wise with a conventional automatic anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive