Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 04:51 PM

33 posts, read 18,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My thoughts... "End Taxation without Representation" screams Washington, D.C. and officers in the Mid-Atlantic region know that. They shouldn't need to see "Washington, D.C." OTOH, if you're Black remove the frame immediately. Last thought...Do you feel lucky? One bored officer having a crappy day could pull you over for the hell of it. I'd fix it.
No, I am not Black. At least not in appearance. However, I am a minority with lots of mixtures with origins let's just say the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia so I have a bronzy appearance, and it may scare those on the ginger or blonde side of things the wrong way. No offense to anyone that is ginger or blonde.

But anyway, I updated the frame today. Went to a local dealership and I asked for one that had no dealership advertisements. Was about $30 for a black stainless steel. The rep was really cool and got one of the mechanics that was free to install it. He said this is a problem many people have moving into the area, so he understood it well. I may get hate for spending $30 but it is better than $500 ticket in DC or maybe more in other places, or having the cop get trigger happy during a traffic stop.

I made sure to tip that mechanic. I had checked in Auto-Zone earlier but the girl there was a rude ***** when I wanted to get some coolant aside from the frame, so I walked out. Amazon here I come for that.

I feel at peace not having to worry about a cop having a bad day or wasting tax payer time instead of going after really evil people.

Thank you guys for your advice and direction on this. Peace at last.

Last edited by cabinetshut; 04-06-2023 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 04:59 PM

50,435 posts, read 64,212,276 times
I do not really understand why, but my son drives a company truck for a major tool company. The front license plate is from New Mexico, but they can’t get it off….this is a TOOL company. The rear license plate is TN, but he doesn’t live, or work there either. Go figure. When I ask him about it, he doesn’t give a ****. I guess it’s the company’s problem.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:26 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,923,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetshut View Post
So I registered my car in Washington, DC(I know NOT a state) and the dealership frame from my previous state blocks the name "Washington, DC" on my rear license plate.

However, the numbers and letters on the plate can easily be read. I only drive two or three days a week tops to far off work locations(locations that lack mass transit)or if I am going deeper into rural areas of Virginia but rest of the days I use the DC Metro train system which is easier than driving and less stressful.

I much rather avoid the police and don't want to give them a dumb reason to pull me over. It wastes my time which is more valuable than having a conversation with them on the side of the road and getting falsely accused of intentionally obscuring my plate.

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
Years ago I was pulled over in Woodstock, GA for having a license frame that covered the county name. I just got a warning, but I thought it was totally ridiculous. I took the frame off. Not worth any further hassle.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:06 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
So I registered my car in Washington, DC(I know NOT a state) and the dealership frame from my previous state blocks the name "Washington, DC" on my rear license plate.

However, the numbers and letters on the plate can easily be read. I only drive two or three days a week tops to far off work locations(locations that lack mass transit)or if I am going deeper into rural areas of Virginia but rest of the days I use the DC Metro train system which is easier than driving and less stressful.

I much rather avoid the police and don't want to give them a dumb reason to pull me over. It wastes my time which is more valuable than having a conversation with them on the side of the road and getting falsely accused of intentionally obscuring my plate.

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
FWIW, I'm in Virginia a lot for work and other things, have a plate cover that covers 60% of the state name on the bottom (North Carolina) and haven’t gotten pulled over for it. Plus if you are in the general commuting area of DC, I’d reckon nearly all VA cops could pick out a Washington DC plate pretty easily. Plus it would likely not be something they are looking for as a primary violation but more likely a secondary violation.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:40 AM

33 posts, read 18,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
FWIW, I'm in Virginia a lot for work and other things, have a plate cover that covers 60% of the state name on the bottom (North Carolina) and haven’t gotten pulled over for it. Plus if you are in the general commuting area of DC, I’d reckon nearly all VA cops could pick out a Washington DC plate pretty easily. Plus it would likely not be something they are looking for as a primary violation but more likely a secondary violation.
I already changed the frame. I wasn't worried about the DC area or Virginia/Maryland as much as driving to other states. Cops in other Northeastern states was what I as concerned about cause i got family spread around the Northeast and that is what I get worried about, or if I drive deeper into the South cause I have people there too.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:52 PM

6,831 posts, read 14,070,399 times
In Texas your not likely to get at a ticket for it but just gave the cops a legal reason to pull you over for a fishing expedition if the want. I have a Corvette and I do not have front plates. I am a POC and have been pulled over twice in the last four years because of it. Both were fishing expeditions and the let me go with a warning. I accepted this possibility by not installing the front plates.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:25 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,409,463 times
Quote:

More so---why are you advertising for the Dealership? Are they paying you a fee every month for free advertising?

Old 04-07-2023, 05:48 PM

17,662 posts, read 13,451,172 times
I never advertise for a dealer. No plate holders, decals or emblems unless they are willing to pay me for the space (They wont)

When buying a new car (which I don't do anymore) I have it written into the contract. One dealer put chrome logo on rear bumper. The car was in the body shop for a week to fix their mistake

Old 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,705,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What purpose does the frame serve? I've always removed them as useless junk.
When I lived in Philadelphia in the 1990s, the local deadbeats would cut off the corner of the license plate that contained the registration sticker and use it on their own plates, instead of paying to renew their registrations. Having a frame helped discourage this sort of theft, because the lazy blankety-blanks would just walk up to the next car in line and slice off their sticker instead.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:20 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,630,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not really understand why, but my son drives a company truck for a major tool company. The front license plate is from New Mexico, but they can’t get it off….this is a TOOL company. The rear license plate is TN, but he doesn’t live, or work there either. Go figure. When I ask him about it, he doesn’t give a ****. I guess it’s the company’s problem.

commercial vehicle? apportioned plates. the REAL target: road taxes, are paid to each state by miles driven and fuel bought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive