Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 11:02 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,472,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't think there were any 1980s "muscle cars". They were all detuned. The horsepower wars didn't begin until after 2000. The Mustang GT was 225 HP. The IROC Camaro was 230 HP.

I will believe 1980s cars are becoming collectible when I see them crossing the block at Barrett-Jackson and Mecum car auctions. You see a scant few, but only a few. Somebody is into collecting everything but that doesn't make it "collectible".

We will see.

I know that high HP muscle cars from the last 10 years are going to be insanely collectible, especially with the conversion to all electric vehicles. EVs may end up with more horsepower but the last hurrah of gas-powered engines is going to become seen as a high-water mark for performance cars.
Those auctions are dinosaurs walking among us.
They are not quite at the level of Blockbuster but they are equivalent to Polaroid or Kodak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 11:08 AM

10,932 posts, read 4,595,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't think there were any 1980s "muscle cars". They were all detuned. The horsepower wars didn't begin until after 2000. The Mustang GT was 225 HP. The IROC Camaro was 230 HP.

I will believe 1980s cars are becoming collectible when I see them crossing the block at Barrett-Jackson and Mecum car auctions. You see a scant few, but only a few. Somebody is into collecting everything but that doesn't make it "collectible".

We will see.

I know that high HP muscle cars from the last 10 years are going to be insanely collectible, especially with the conversion to all electric vehicles. EVs may end up with more horsepower but the last hurrah of gas-powered engines is going to become seen as a high-water mark for performance cars.

ok, lol, you need to watch more auctions...

trace up a cobra anything, SVO anything, a 442 or HO anything or a shelby anything.

current DW and her ex were big GLH and shelby collectors...if you find a non-riced or molested GLH today, you are gonna push at least 40K across that table.

heckfire, my 92 j body vert is collectible. I could sell it on facebook lebaron convi group TODAY, if I didnt need it TONIGHT to drive to my OTHER collectible (90 squarebody sub)

hp wars are local to where you are *in*. todays V or hell models made at least twice the liar ratings of what most of us would call muscle cars...

Old 04-14-2023, 11:29 AM
46H

1,655 posts, read 1,406,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
1984 Chevrolet Camaro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
First link is your car. Second link is the Monte Carlo of the same year.

Thanks!!

Old 04-14-2023, 11:31 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,696,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
In reality, the 1980s was just an awful decade for American cars. One can buy an 80s corvette for a song.
Yes 99.9999% of American cars sucked in the 80s. I had a 86 Chrysler Labaron convertible. From the time it was new it didn't feel safe to drive over 70mph. Had a friend with a late 80s Mustangs that a old woman with a walker could have gave a run for its money through the quarter mile.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:44 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,410,947 times
All pickups seem to be commanding crazy money right now, and it wouldn't suprise me if trucks from that era are becoming hot as well.

I think there's something to be said about a simple vehicle with no air conditioning, bench seat, a triangle vent window, and a manual transmission. Throw in a metal dash board and it's even better!

Old 04-14-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
All pickups seem to be commanding crazy money right now, and it wouldn't suprise me if trucks from that era are becoming hot as well.

I think there's something to be said about a simple vehicle with no air conditioning, bench seat, a triangle vent window, and a manual transmission. Throw in a metal dash board and it's even better!
square bodies...73-87 in truck, 73-91 in subs. hottest thing NEXT to the wagoneers/grand wags of the same era (restored fetch north of 100K - place in nashville does em frame off for the country artist crowd...cant build em fast enuf)

guy in bedford PA has 2 90 square subs like mine (but neither a 1 ton) and not in as mint a condition and he asks $50K for either. Im serious when I say if some numb nuts wants to give me 35K he gets BOTH sets of keys right now...

Old 04-14-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
1984 Chevrolet Camaro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
First link is your car. Second link is the Monte Carlo of the same year.

both were relatively unchanged the entire model run lookswise, but in 1985 the magical knock sensor was added to the ECM and pow...15hp the first iteration and they never looked back as they truly learned to manage the combustion chamber...

remember when the buick 'sequential squirt efi' was big news on the turbo?

Old 04-14-2023, 12:01 PM

8,540 posts, read 4,776,725 times
I do t understand how any 80s cars are collectible. That boxy styling from the era is awful, nobody had figured out how to make plastic feel less plastic yet, they still have to be smogged, and there’s no OBDII to aid maintenance. And did I mention how awful the boxiness is?

In reality I don’t care for much of anything from the 80s. There’s a couple of good movies and songs, but overall it’s my least favorite decade I can think of.

Old 04-14-2023, 12:20 PM

29,575 posts, read 14,720,164 times
They indeed are. Go and look at the prices of unmolested Fox bodies, Grand Nationals, Camaros and yes even those Corvettes.

Hell just a clean roller to make a race car are is getting pricey. Fairmonts, G bodies, even Mavericks are getting desirable, and they make great race cars.

Some of the 90's cars are going up in price as well. Clean, low mileage GMC Syclones are going for $40k plus. I like that, since I have one in the garage with 12k miles on it.

https://******************/listing/1991-gmc-syclone-39/

Old 04-14-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fairmonts, /

you sir, drink the same water I do. They used to call them 'Fear-monts' because it is after all, one ugly mother of a fox body, yet ALL the fun parts bolt up. one of my best friends growing up called them F***monts because his parents bought one..a non-turbo Lima 4 with a C4 (or was it C3?) he retaliated by having his teenager dream car be a 2 door chevelle base he turned into a fake ss...

couple years back I bid on one at the Barret Jackson hosted by Joe Pyle from Point Marion Pa - ford dealer/collector died and his 60 deep stable went up for auction. I said $5000 and was not even close to the hammer. bare bones stock. I bid on 20 cars that day and was merely an annoyance... smh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive