Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 01:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

80's atuff out of Detroit was pretty anti-muscle and often very rust prone (thin paint coverage too) + the use of plastics without proper UV additives, and 'new' electronics = weak decade.

I still have a fleet of 80's muscle car antonyms 48- 50hp VW's (including (4) pickups) still pumping out 50mpg, adequate HP for my mtn driving and towing, tho I often turbo them to 68hp.

1989 brought the intro of the Cummins Turbo diesel Dodge truck, of which I keep plenty of those around as well. 1million mile longevity. 160 hp, but plenty of torque to tug around my 40,000#loads. A good 'work-truck' for the farm. I've been to turbo days where they run these 160hp engines to 800+ with very minor modifications. They often break the dyno tiedowns since they exceed 1400 ft/ lbs of torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 01:57 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
The Corvette L-82 is one of the most beautiful vettes ever made. Grab one now, for a song.

I had a black one with t-tops back in the day before I joined the military. Babe magnet.
To me that is the last gen of corvette that was beautiful, the new ones are fancy and high tech and a beast, but imo no way are the beauties of the C3.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
To me that is the last gen of corvette that was beautiful, the new ones are fancy and high tech and a beast, but imo no way are the beauties of the C3.
The final yr was 1980 IIRC.

Neighbor has a 1978 Indy Pace version, but I'm partial to the earlier versions.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:24 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
The C6 looks the best in my book. The C3's had no power in the later 70's just like the C4 had no power. At least it got over 300hp near the model end.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The final yr was 1980 IIRC.

Neighbor has a 1978 Indy Pace version, but I'm partial to the earlier versions.
1982 was the last year, they extended the 82 run and came out with 84 early.

I just bought an 82, yeah they came with low horsepower but that was easily fixed.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
German cars of the 80's are pretty collectible and have been for some time.

Unsurprisingly given my screen name I really like the BMW E30 cars. Later 80's are better than early 80's. The 318i is just OK, the 325i is a good bit faster. And just more fun to drive. And have you priced a good E30 M3 lately?

Of course the better air-cooled 911 cars have been going up in value for some time and probably most are near or over 6 figures.

The guy lamenting lack of OBD-II must not know about OBD-I. 87 Camry and 89 325i both have/had it, you don't need a code reader, you either install a jumper wire, or you turn the ignition on but don't start the engine, pat the gas 5 times in a particular rhythm, and Robert is your Dad's brother. You do need a decoder sheet to determine what the CEL flashes mean.

OBD-I is simpler and does not include non-performance items like post-cat O2 sensors.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:25 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
German cars of the 80's are pretty collectible and have been for some time.

Unsurprisingly given my screen name I really like the BMW E30 cars. Later 80's are better than early 80's. The 318i is just OK, the 325i is a good bit faster. And just more fun to drive. And have you priced a good E30 M3 lately?

Of course the better air-cooled 911 cars have been going up in value for some time and probably most are near or over 6 figures.

The guy lamenting lack of OBD-II must not know about OBD-I. 87 Camry and 89 325i both have/had it, you don't need a code reader, you either install a jumper wire, or you turn the ignition on but don't start the engine, pat the gas 5 times in a particular rhythm, and Robert is your Dad's brother. You do need a decoder sheet to determine what the CEL flashes mean.

OBD-I is simpler and does not include non-performance items like post-cat O2 sensors.
Well, the main problem I have with OBD0 and OBDI is that it doesn’t pipe live data to anything. Fuel trims are one of my most solid diagnostic tools, and of course there’s plenty of other stuff in there too. Engine coolant temperature, throttle position, ignition timing, the works. Pre-OBDII systems also weren’t standardized, so what works on, say, a BMW doesn’t work on a Honda, etc. From a practical standpoint, it’s why I have never sought out anything but pre-smog cars or cars made after 1996 when OBDII was mandated. In other words, most of the 70s, all of the 80s, and the first half of the 90s are off my shopping list, with almost no exceptions.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:03 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
In reality, the 1980s was just an awful decade for American cars. One can buy an 80s corvette for a song.

100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The true defination of a muscle car is a big block in a intermediate body, that ended in the early 70's.
Then until 1986 when electronic fuel injection and electronic engine management came out and overdrive transmissions smog controls just killed american V8's before that.

Agree, ended in the late 60's to very early 70's. I don't consider anything newer as a "muscle car".

Those who knew me, know my favorite car was a 69 Mustang. I also had a 67 Fastback that I was restoring that my ex made me sell. I didn't consider the 70's Mustangs to be on the same level as the 60's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I do t understand how any 80s cars are collectible. That boxy styling from the era is awful, nobody had figured out how to make plastic feel less plastic yet, they still have to be smogged, and there’s no OBDII to aid maintenance. And did I mention how awful the boxiness is?

In reality I don’t care for much of anything from the 80s. There’s a couple of good movies and songs, but overall it’s my least favorite decade I can think of.

Music wise the 80's were a great time to be a teen/ young adult but as far as cars, agree they were plasticie square boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Never heard of 80’s muscle cars. Muscle cars are from the 60’s and 70’s before unleaded gas and government fuel standards, and when Mopar ruled the muscle car era.

I tend to agree with you. 80's cars as muscle cars? LMFAO, are you effing kidding me? LOL

You bring up a good point, leaded gasoline, muscle cars were able to use Cam 2.

My dad's gas station was the only place to buy Cam 2, I had a lot of neat muscle and collector cars that came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Barfola!! The 80's were the worst era for sport and muscle cars IMO. Worst looking and least power. IMO opinion it's a tie between the 60's and the modern era. I'm not really a muscle car guy and in general dont like American cars but a 68' shelby mustang fastback is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. The modern day Camaros ai'nt bad either and I was surprised to see Chevrolet come out with a car that had styling that I liked.

Saturday I was thinking about the 60's muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro, Dodge challenger) that are still around now or are being made again, have to say that some of them aren't bad looking cars, their "styling" is similar to the 60's car then the 70's or 80's. I was on my way to see a friend when I saw a Mustang, Camaro, Dodge Challenger and a Bronco within a few miles. I was thinking how decent of a job they'd done modernizing the 60's styling, well with every one except the Bronco

If someone gifted me one, I would keep it and drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
To me the best "muscle cars" were built from 1966-1970. But those are becoming so damned expensive these days, I can see why some are moving on to later years.

The official definitional of "muscle cars" should be something such as cars made from 1959 to 1969/ maybe 1970.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:42 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
My wife owned 2 C-3s, a '76 followed by a '79. I have an '01 C-5. The real tragedy of the C-3, is the vulnerability of the "birdcage" and windshield to rust damage.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
My wife owned 2 C-3s, a '76 followed by a '79. I have an '01 C-5. The real tragedy of the C-3, is the vulnerability of the "birdcage" and windshield to rust damage.
Thats the reason I went to texas to buy this car. There were many cheaper ones up north but I didnt want to take any chances on that and have to deal with those nightmares. Im sure not all cars up north are subjected to salty roads but I just didnt want to risk it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive