Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 06:19 AM

853 posts, read 587,529 times

Advertisements

Hank, I understand what you're saying. But I have purposely not mentioned the brand or model of the vehicle because IF this goes to some type of legal action, I don't want the manufacturer/dealer to claim that I was spreading (what they would probably claim) false information. Too many statements on social media have come back to haunt people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 09:50 AM

821 posts, read 464,774 times
Quote:
I liked it better when we had crank windows, manual locks, carburetors instead of electronic fuel injectors, hydraulic steering gears instead of electronic power steering, regular vs anti-lock brakes, no traction control, manual climate control, no airbags, etc. Get off my lawn.
I agree, and most of this stuff is mandated. I think to keep the car industry stimulated. Markets hate equilibrium even if they go down for a time. And it smothers any hope of competition to the whales.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:46 AM

843 posts, read 563,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I liked it better when we had crank windows, manual locks, carburetors instead of electronic fuel injectors, hydraulic steering gears instead of electronic power steering, regular vs anti-lock brakes, no traction control, manual climate control, no airbags, etc. Get off my lawn.

https://www.thepeoplehistory.com/carelectronics.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
At the risk of sounding like an "old fogie", I agree. I used to enjoy maintaining and/or repairing my cars. Now, I sort of fear it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I agree, and most of this stuff is mandated. I think to keep the car industry stimulated. Markets hate equilibrium even if they go down for a time. And it smothers any hope of competition to the whales.
I thought it was obvious sarcasm...lol. I never thought anyone would actually agree with it. I posted the link that described some of the benefits but you were still fooled. You guys are great.

All of these things are massive improvements in technology that make cars safer, more efficient, convenient - just all around BETTER. And those are just off the top of my head.

I mean, no airbags? Carburetors? No ABS? Manual windows and locks? I will stay off of your lawn!

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-18-2023 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-18-2023, 03:21 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,134,333 times
Quote:
I thought it was obvious sarcasm...lol. I never thought anyone would actually agree with it. I posted the link that described some of the benefits but you were still fooled. You guys are great.

All of these things are massive improvements in technology that make cars safer, more efficient, convenient - just all around BETTER. And those are just off the top of my head.

I mean, no airbags? Carburetors? No ABS? Manual windows and locks? I will stay off of your lawn!
You're missing my point....cars are getting too complicated, and in some cases, full of gadgets designed to protect me from myself....even if it makes the car more difficult to operate.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:

I agree for the most part, but is it really better to have a computer and switches change the gears for the transmission rather than a simple cable?

My work vehicle has one of those electronic column shifters where you push the end button to put it into park. It also has door sensors to automatically put it into park if the door is opened. Guess what happens when those doors sensors get dirty?

Old 08-18-2023, 09:28 PM

821 posts, read 464,774 times
My truck I sold only 3 months ago had crank windows, standard (where I decided which gear it was in). True I like fuel injection. ABS can't stand it. A/C?, I mostly only used it when DW was in the truck. Seat belts are an inconvenience but I'll get a ticket if I don't wear them so... The one convenience I really don't want to do without is cruise. New truck is a lot snazzier and virtually out of my reach as far as working on it unless I buy a bunch of specialty stuff. I actually like the "old" way better..

Old 08-19-2023, 04:18 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Hank, I understand what you're saying. But I have purposely not mentioned the brand or model of the vehicle because IF this goes to some type of legal action, I don't want the manufacturer/dealer to claim that I was spreading (what they would probably claim) false information. Too many statements on social media have come back to haunt people.
Saying the truth wouldn't be spreading false information. If it is a blank model that isn't false.

For lemon law you'll have to talk to a lawyer. The manufacturers fought that tooth and nail and they have an entire legal team. I'd recommend start recording the problem.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
......My work vehicle has one of those electronic column shifters where you push the end button to put it into park. It also has door sensors to automatically put it into park if the door is opened. Guess what happens when those doors sensors get dirty?
And what you've shown, in reference to my earlier comments.....

I, too, have one of those electronic shifters, that will automatically shift my vehicle into 'park', if a door opens. There are times when backing into a small space, I want to open the door, to see where I'm backing, and make sure I'm safe. Bottom line, I can't, because the car shifts itself into 'park'. WTH????

Old 08-21-2023, 01:11 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:

massive improvements and technology safety and efficiency come at a cost of simplicity.

The best design for something is the simplest to do the job. I'm not going to say older cars are not complicated because they absolutely are. But they're a lot less complicated and of course without manufacturer components designed to stop you from being able to fix it yourself they are a lot simpler.

I've been thinking real long and hard about going and finding an old pickup truck these days it probably be cheaper to fix it up and it would be to buy a new one. You can find one with them less desirable straight six it'll be enough for me Simone that are 40 or 50 years old still run. What's a manual transmission as long as the frame isn't rusted.
Quote:
Have you ever replaced an ABS controller I could probably go find an older pickup truck and buy the whole truck and it runs for more than what it costs to replace an ABS controller in certain cars. Carburetors are a little bit finicky but will you come learn how to adjust them properly and reject them if you need to it's not that hard. An airbag circuit is easy enough to install without a computer. Airbags never needed a computer.

Manual windows and door locks are a thousand times better in every possible way. The first two vehicles I had had manual everything and I really wish I'd hung on to them.

If you like your creature comforts somebody has to buy your cars. But get ready to start paying subscription fees to use the things you own.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
massive improvements and technology safety and efficiency come at a cost of simplicity.

The best design for something is the simplest to do the job. I'm not going to say older cars are not complicated because they absolutely are. But they're a lot less complicated and of course without manufacturer components designed to stop you from being able to fix it yourself they are a lot simpler.
^^^^ This!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive