Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Personally, I like small cars....much easier to drive, park, etc. Nothing fun, in my opinion, about steering a big battleship around town.
ROFL +1 because its so true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
The Honda CRV, is far from a battleship - it is responsive and fun to drive and with gas mileage in the 20/27 range - provides a good value IMO.

Then, there is the Ford Escape - another "non battleship". The non hybrid version gets 20/26 mpg and the Hybrid gets 34/30 mpg. Peppy - fun to drive. Great Visibility. A good all around vehicle

Not all SUV's are Expedition / Surburban size as some would try to make everyone believe -

Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The Honda CRV, is far from a battleship - it is responsive and fun to drive and with gas mileage in the 20/27 range - provides a good value IMO.

Then, there is the Ford Escape - another "non battleship". The non hybrid version gets 20/26 mpg and the Hybrid gets 34/30 mpg. Peppy - fun to drive. Great Visibility. A good all around vehicle

Not all SUV's are Expedition / Surburban size as some would try to make everyone believe -

Never said those models were battleships. Although I'm not sure I see the point in a CRV, Escape, etc...they really have no more passenger room than a car, the CRV doesn't have great storage room....the storage area of a CRV is probably no bigger than the trunk of an Accord. I guess they do have 4WD, which is an advantage.

Battleships would be more like Expeditons, Explorers, Suburbans, Denalis, Escalades, 4 Runners, Durangos, etc.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Battleships would be more like Expeditons, Explorers, Suburbans, Denalis, Escalades, 4 Runners, Durangos, etc.
Ground clearance is another benefit of many SUV's -

The ones you mention above: They are haulers - with the exception of the 4 runner - the others can pull 10,000 lbs plus - the 4 runner does 8k (If memory serves me right).

If you are pulling a toy hauler - you need that kind of capacity. I don't know about your area but here, there are a lot of Toy Haulers on the road each weekend.

Boats here are also very popular and many of the bigger ones are 8/9/10K lbs GVWR -

Old 06-10-2008, 01:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then you would hate me if I did that as if you ever needed it I'd have it tied up for days at a time and/or the entire weekend. Besides, all they have are standard cab trucks. That won't work for a family of 4 (or more). Face it...... some people LOVE their SUV's and trucks and DO need them and renting one is totally OUT of the question and would be a total waste of money.

Hmmm....did I say that EVERYONE should do as I do?? You know, Dallas mom, here in Austin we're a little more laid back than that. I was just giving my experience. As I've said numerous times, I don't need an SUV or truck for MY busy, active family of FIVE. On the rare occaisions that I do, I rent the Home Depot truck. That's all. Chill.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Agreed on the Honda. Cute car. Probably not big enough for some, though! LOL

Old 06-10-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Ground clearance is another benefit of many SUV's -

The ones you mention above: They are haulers - with the exception of the 4 runner - the others can pull 10,000 lbs plus - the 4 runner does 8k (If memory serves me right).

If you are pulling a toy hauler - you need that kind of capacity. I don't know about your area but here, there are a lot of Toy Haulers on the road each weekend.

Boats here are also very popular and many of the bigger ones are 8/9/10K lbs GVWR -
Have the rollover problems that many SUVs had some time back been worked out? Always kind of freaked me out.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:02 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
I'm glad the market is deciding this and not politicians. People are finally waking up and realizing that, "Hey, we don't really need these."

Old 06-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Have the rollover problems that many SUVs had some time back been worked out? Always kind of freaked me out.
The issue has been pretty well addressed IMO -

Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Mathguy posted a link a while back showing that compact cars were more likely to roll over than big SUVs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive