Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,108 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2006 Honda civic with 1.8 engine. I would not mind adding a bit of pep to my engine performance. Would adding a cold air intake be a worthwhile investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I drive a 2006 Honda civic with 1.8 engine. I would not mind adding a bit of pep to my engine performance. Would adding a cold air intake be a worthwhile investment.
Not really. You wont notice a difference in performance. Youll get a difference in induction sound, thats about it. lol If you want a noticeable difference, go with a turbo or supercharger kit. They have many cheaper kits that only run 5-8 psi, but you will definitely notice the difference.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not really. You wont notice a difference in performance. Youll get a difference in induction sound, thats about it. lol If you want a noticeable difference, go with a turbo or supercharger kit. They have many cheaper kits that only run 5-8 psi, but you will definitely notice the difference.
A turbo would kill my gas mileage. No thanks. I am currently avg 38 to 44 mpg. Appreciate the info.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
A turbo would kill my gas mileage. No thanks. I am currently avg 38 to 44 mpg. Appreciate the info.
If youre gonna do the whole CAI thing, at least get the header and full cat-back exhaust as well. Thats the only way youre really gonna feel a difference, even then it will be slight. I know a company called AEM that makes a new intake (called the V2 I believe) that supposedly gives 8-10 hp, which you might notice slightly.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,901 times
Quote:
As stated above....Not at all!!!

This has been discussed many times before in other threads. Most of those cold air intakes are just for the looks and maybe the sound.

If you don't want to go with a turbo or supercharger, your only affordable and EFFECTIVE option would be to get some headers and exhaust. For your little Honda you could probably do that with few hundred dollars (500-600 maybe?), add few hundred more if you have to pay somebody to install it.

-Ed

Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
If you can find a "tuner" chip for the ECU that *might* make a difference. I know for BMW cars these are available as well as "cat-back" exhaust systems.

Honda does not typically leave much on the table in their engine designs, any improvement you make in one area will cost you something (that you may or may not care about) somewhere else. For example a "chip" will probably require the use of premium fuel (although if you don't drive too aggressively this may actually *reduce* your fuel expense as premium is capable of better MPG *if* you have the compression and spark advance to take advantage), the "cat-back" exhaust will probably be louder and less corrosion resistant, easier to damage, than stock.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
How would adding a turbo kill gas mileage?

Unless you're always in the boost, a turbo engine allows you to put around town as you normally do but as soon as you step on it the turbo spins and then the engine richens up to accommodate for the extra air coming in.

Still don't believe me? Check this out. My 87 Regal with it's 3.8 turbo (same engine used in the Grand National), gets up to 26 mpg highway as long as I stay out of the boost.

The same car with the same engine (minus the turbo), only gets 21 mpg highway. But has MUCH less power.

Since you want to stay naturally aspirated, the best you can do is make your engine more efficient. Engines are essentially air pumps right? So that means let's get more air in, and more air out. Induction and exhaust come to mind.

Cold air kits don't really do much as mentioned. You'd probably be better off with a K&N filter somehow re-routed to the outside under the car so as to allow the engine to draw in cooler more dense air, instead of hot air from the engine. Then invest in some headers and a free flowing exhaust, with a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler and maybe even a Catco high flow catalytic converter.

Then when that's done perhaps you might be able to step up to a little bit of a larger fuel injector, and possibly have your PROM recoded to accept larger injectors? Again not sure about Hondas, but that's how us Buick Grand National boys do things.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM

50 posts, read 171,403 times
ok i was actually looking to do the same thing as the guy with the honda. the bad part is .. i have a volkswagen. 4cyl inline.. i dont want turbo or supercharger. and something that wont cost me over 200 dollars lol .. i know it limits the suggestions but i only make 8 bucks an hour

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
as the only mod it is a waste the only upside if you get one is the re-useable air filter like a K&N it has a million mile warranty and is a great filter over oen paper ones all of my cars and trucks run a K&N and they a worth it IMO as for perfomance gains the 3-4HP is at the peak of the poer band so 6500 RPM and I doubt you will see any gain in daily driving and you won't feel the extra 4HP to be honest .

some one said a going to a tuner that would be the best they can change the timing and take off the speed limiter and change the shift points also a performace 4-into-1 header a Hi-flow cat and a proper 2.25 inch cat back performance exhaust. like a borla or maganflow like pitured below and you will gain a noticable gain and a small mileage increase with the tune
http://www.slowboyracing.com/images/T/Edelbrock%20Honda%20Header-05.gif (broken link)

and bingo you are set with some basic bolt-ons but in the $1200 but will gain around 20-25HP and 2-3mpg gain atmost.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM

50 posts, read 171,403 times
i have another question .. granted my zero skills in computer programs i was looking for a program where i could design cars .. and see if they look nice .. take things off .. put them on .. just to see. does anyone know a program like that .. and i need it so that the car looks real .. not cartoon ish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive