Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassba View Post
ok i was actually looking to do the same thing as the guy with the honda. the bad part is .. i have a volkswagen. 4cyl inline.. i dont want turbo or supercharger. and something that wont cost me over 200 dollars lol .. i know it limits the suggestions but i only make 8 bucks an hour
best bet is a a stiffer anti-sway bar and a a front stut tower brace a stiffer set of springs and it will put the power to the ground better and it will handle better and be more fun to drive.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:s2orNhKeJQ6uzM:http://www.alfaotto.com/images/VW94GF-1039SBX.JPG (broken link)
strut tower brace

eiback perfomance springs

eibach anti sway bar

Last edited by GTOlover; 06-22-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM

50 posts, read 171,481 times
thanks gto lover .. but again im making 8 bucks an hour.. not exactly making enough to get an extreamly good exaust system

Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 PM

50 posts, read 171,481 times
ok .. that sounds more reasonable .. how much is the anti-sway bar and a a front strut tower brace

Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 AM

try the eibach site they are pretty good and you can find other cheaper brands but their site is a good start they do sell pkgs if you could wait and save $500 you could get their performance handling kit that includes all of it.

over buying individual kits.
  • PRO-KIT + ANTI-ROLL-KIT = PRO-PLUS Performance Handling Package.
  • Performance Springs and Sway Bars= Superior Handling for the Serious Enthusiast
  • Precise Turn-in Response, Improved Handling and Enhanced Cornering Grip—in any Performance Driving Situation
  • Stop Quicker, Corner Faster and get better MPG*
  • Simple Bolt-On, With No Modifi cations: Just Install,
  • Set the Alignment and Carve
  • Excellent Ride Quality
  • Million Mile Warranty
If you live for the corners, the Eibach PRO-PLUS Performance Handling Package delivers. Eibach PRO-PLUS packages include our legendary Eibach PRO-KIT springs along with matching ANTI-ROLL-KIT sway bars. The Eibach PRO-KIT lowers your car's center of gravity, reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and excessive nose-dive under braking. Add the Eibach ANTI-ROLL-KIT sway bars—with increased roll stiffness, compared to stock bars—and you get pure, balanced-handling perfection.
With the Eibach PRO-PLUS installed you will immediately experience more-precise turn-in response, improved handling, and enhanced cornering grip—in any performance-driving situation. The Eibach PRO-PLUS is designed and tested to work well with either factory or aftermarket performance dampers.
Eibach Springs : Pro-Plus | Suspension Systems | Pro-Plus | Performance Springs | Shock | Pro-Kit | Anti-Roll-Kit | cornering | lowering | Performance Springs | Shock | sway Bars (http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/cms/products_products_suspension_systems_pro_plus - broken link)

Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassba View Post
i have another question .. granted my zero skills in computer programs i was looking for a program where i could design cars .. and see if they look nice .. take things off .. put them on .. just to see. does anyone know a program like that .. and i need it so that the car looks real .. not cartoon ish
hmm maybe a find a design program but with the performance mods and suspension mods if you do it part by part or just save up save around $2500 and do it all at once you could have a great handling car with 20-25 more horsepower a responsive engine that will be blast to drive in the corners throw on some sticky Z-rated tires a cheap set of light weight racing rims and a bigger brake kit off a wrecked VW GTI and it will be a great car.

another cheap way to make your car quicker is to cut weight like pull the back seats out or pull the big stereo system out if you want ditch the A/C with a delete kit out. the more weight you save the faster and quicker your car becomes in the corners and it also increases fuel mileage

here a good site on great cheap ways to make a car performe better for little money with technical know how ans some basic tools
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,184,428 times
I know it sounds stupid, but if your vehicle is in any of the racing games that are out now (Forza, for example), you can play with wheels, bodykits, and other things like that. Gives you a pretty good idea.

Intake will get you sound, but not much else. Still fun, though. But GTOlover is spot on that a good suspension would really make your V-Dub a blast to drive. If money is an issue, keep an eye out for used stuff on forums dedicated to your car, ebay, or craigslist. Do NOT buy cheaper stuff because of your budget!!! Either save up enough to buy the good stuff brand new, or buy it used. You don't want to discover why your new stuff was so cheap when you're careening around a corner out of control. Trust me, I've done the 'mod on minimum wage' thing before and know how tempting it is to stretch that buck by buying the knock brands. I speak from experience; do NOT do it!!!! A little patience and a lot of web surfing can turn up some great deals.

Also, if you're serious about playing with your car, I would highly recommend finding a local group of enthusiasts, preferrably folks with the same kind of car. Again, the best place to find these is on the forums. I had the good fortune to find a group like this with my first 'tuner' car, and it helped a lot. It was nice to have a second set of hands, or at least someone who had done before what I was trying to do. They also became some of my best friends. Nothing like hanging in the garage with your buds on the weekend!

Mike

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,702,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I drive a 2006 Honda civic with 1.8 engine. I would not mind adding a bit of pep to my engine performance. Would adding a cold air intake be a worthwhile investment.
No.

The only time a COA runs the possibility of being beneficial is if you've built the engine to the point where air intake is a bottleneck. Anything other than that is basically a waste of money.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,357,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Then invest in some headers and a free flowing exhaust, with a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler and maybe even a Catco high flow catalytic converter.
Free flowing exhaust isn't always a good thing on NA cars (most times it isn't), the engine uses the back pressure in the exhaust to maintain good combustion etc, and in highly tuned NA cars you can "tune" the exhaust to deliver the exhaust pulse at the right rpm, for kind of a natural "boost" in that RPM range.

So no OP, don't get free flowing exhaust, it might very well steal power with an engine that small and NA.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,184,428 times
OP probably isn't paying much attention. This thread is from '08.

Mike

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,234,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
A turbo would kill my gas mileage. No thanks. I am currently avg 38 to 44 mpg. Appreciate the info.
Really? Why do you think that? The beauty of a turbo is that they essentially recycle energy that would otherwise be pumped out the tail pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive