Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:58 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,941,413 times

Advertisements

The Mitsubishi MOCO is bringing out this cute car in their shores. I could only hope!!!!

Motor Authority » Mitsubishi i-MiEV to go on sale next year priced from $37,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Their probably not allowed to import them here. As Americans we have the "right" to the biggest cars and suv's that we can make. Got to love how stupid we can be. It will take awhile for us to catch on.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Who would be stupid enough to pay that much for the car?

Yes, Americans have rights to purchase they want, got to love democracy, perhaps we should live in a Soviet type country?

Due to the nanny/safety freaks of America, many cars will not ever be here. Never understood allowing a motorcycle or scooter on the road but not allowing for many types of cars.

But that is done on purpose, it is to difficult to put tariffs on imports, much easier to make a bunch of bs safety requirements.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,552 times
The Prius is going to be built in the U.S. now as well, I would surely hate to see all these cars going 55 on the highway, but then again it might be a good thing.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
Default Electric cars

Oil companies and car companies (most notably GM & Toyota) have done everything possible to sabotage the electric car. GM produced arguably the best electric car in the EV1 but it was basically a delaying tactic to placate CARB (California Air Resources Board) till they could buy them off. Then they destroyed every single one so they couldn't be used as evidence against them. Toyota produced the RAV4-EV many of which are still on the road today WITH the original NiMH battery packs that after 10 years work virtually as new disproving the bogus argument that battery technology isn't ready. Who Killed the Electric Car is a great documentary on the topic. Why should you care? Because with no oil, coolant, cooling system, exhaust system, much lower complexity and running on electricity the cost of ownership is much lower. This is in addition to reducing reliance on oil and the environmental benefits. The good news is EVs are on the way. It looks like Mitsubishi will be the first to market a mass produced EV in the US hopefully by next year. Mitsubishi looks ahead with an electric i - Autoblog

Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Sorry geos, I posted this earlier.

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...ze-us-has.html

Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Who would be stupid enough to pay that much for the car?
Someone smart enough to understand long term cost of ownership is much more important than initial cost. Who'd be stupid enough to support dictatorial Arab sheiks and oil and auto industry fat cats by buying an SUV unless they really needed one? Millions of people. Americans will buy any slop the corporations throw in the feeding trough and think they have freedom of choice because most are just ignorant farm animals.

Quote:
Yes, Americans have rights to purchase they want, got to love democracy, perhaps we should live in a Soviet type country?
Americans have the right to purchase what the corporate plutocracy says we have the right to purchase. You can't purchase an electric car because they won't produce one because they're not as profitable as SUVs.

Quote:
Due to the nanny/safety freaks of America, many cars will not ever be here. Never understood allowing a motorcycle or scooter on the road but not allowing for many types of cars.

But that is done on purpose, it is to difficult to put tariffs on imports, much easier to make a bunch of bs safety requirements.
Yeah, how dare those safety freaks force car companies to put the gas pedal and brake pedal in the same place on every car! How dare they force car companies to install safety glass, seat belts and air bags, not to mention brake lights! Imagine how much cheaper cars would be without them! Who cares about the occasional baby launched thru the windshield to have it's head smashed open in an accident. As long as it's not my baby. Must be them Al Gore, George Soros, Bill & Hillary Clinton, tree hugger, LLLLLIBERAL types. Next thing you know they'll force you to have clean air and water!!! Those safety freaks make me sick!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM

**************UPDATE*************

I'm so lucky to live in LA!!!! I would get to see these little bugs running around the LA streets!

Motor Authority » Update: Mitsubishi i-MiEV to begin testing in California

Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM

I'm so lucky to be living in LA. I'll get pix if I can!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Clearly EVs are the wave of the future. The coolness factor of the rolling iPods will be too much to overcome for the oil guzzlers. EVs are where digital camers were in the early 90s. Film was still king but the writing was on the wall. Once in-wheel motors are perfected they'll take off.
YouTube - Eliica - Super Electric Car - Part 3 of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I'm so lucky to be living in LA. I'll get pix if I can!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive