Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times

Advertisements

My bumper is loose and keeps falling off. How much would it be to get that fixed? And how much is it to get the car painted a different color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Need to know a little more about the car to give a useful answer, is it just the bumper cover that's coming off or the whole thing?

Changing color *right* is a *lot* of work. Many cheap paint shops just ignore the door jambs, etc. which to my eye produces a completely unacceptable job. I would definitely not buy a car that has had this treatment (well, I *might*, but at a *very* cheap price!*). It raises the question: "what other numbskull stunts have been visited on this car?"

I seriously doubt you can get even what I would call a C+/B- job for less than $5000.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
M3 Mitch is right. First, the model and year needs to be known to us. Second, if you want a truly spot-on paint and body job, like repairing a constant falling bumper and a great paint job, you will be paying more than you want to believe. And, third. What color are you thinking of painting? From what color is the original to the color you want now! People have voiced going from a darker color to a lighter color is more expensive.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
I'm considering having the car painted black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
M3 Mitch is right. First, the model and year needs to be known to us. Second, if you want a truly spot-on paint and body job, like repairing a constant falling bumper and a great paint job, you will be paying more than you want to believe. And, third. What color are you thinking of painting? From what color is the original to the color you want now! People have voiced going from a darker color to a lighter color is more expensive.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
That's about the most difficult color to have turn out right, shows every imperfection in the body. What color is it now?

What kind of car are we talking here?

With all due respect to Mick Jagger, probably this is a *bad* idea IMHO.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
I think the ultimate question would have to be is how much do you love your car? Is it vintage/antique? Is it a car that you first purchased? I just want to know, seriously, how much you love your car and are you planning on keeping it for decades to come. The reason why we ask is that I have seen many bad paint jobs. It's where the paint is flaking off after 12-18 months after application. It's tacky! We're car guys and paint jobs are as equal or more important than engine size or tires.

The reason why we ask, make and model, is because the use of manufacture paints and what kind of surface they're painted on! Are the body panels steel, aluminium, or plastic?

Just wondering, trying to help you along this journey you're seeking.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
My bumper is loose and keeps falling off. How much would it be to get that fixed? And how much is it to get the car painted a different color?
I'm with the other guys on this one, wclac!

Changing the color PROPERLY could be fairly expensive . . . rough guess would be at least $2k to $3k. Changing the color PROPERLY to black would probably DOUBLE that rough guess but, remember, the key term is PROPERLY.

As for installing your bumper . . . if no major damage, I would imagine any good Body Shop should be able to fix it for a nominal fee.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
IMO changing the color will lower the value of the car. Every time you open the hood or trunk you will see the old color underneath. The only time a color change looks right is when the whole car is stripped down and everything is painted, and that costs big $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive