Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times

Advertisements

Seems like the overall consesus that it isn't important to buy American made automobiles. Thank You to all who participated in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Nothing beats a Toyota or Honda. I don't buy my car based on jingoistic flag-waving BS. I buy the car that will give me the best bang for my buck as far as safety, reliability, and gas mileage.

Anyways, isn't it hypocritical to have a guy in a Mexican-made Ford or Chevy tell people who are driving American-made Hondas and Toyotas to "buy American???"

Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM

83 posts, read 387,632 times
Automobiles?? Let's be specific here. Trucks and SUV's are what you should buy to help the US automotive world

I am an engineer in the automotive industry. Doesn't really matter what you buy these day's you are supporting a global economy. Most people will base American made on how much domestic content it has.

Domestic cars built here with foreign components, or foreign cars built here in the US or flat out imports. I hear the "my car has more domestic content so you are unpatriotic" talk once in a while.

Buying domestic you are supporting that company and its retirees and our economy. But at the same time you are also supporting their globalization and the farming out of jobs to overseas markets. What to do? My company spends more money investing in overseas industries. The domestic manufacturers even force us to use overseas manufacturing. But either way, as another poster said, you are still helping America out. You still have your foreign car fixed, serviced, sold by and taxed by Americans

In the end just buy what you like You are the one who has to look at it everyday, have it serviced, and to top it off, you even get to pay for it

Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Imo its important to let the free market drive automakers, not patriotism. Americans blindly buying crap American-made cars is what exacerbated the American car problem in the first place imo.

Now that American car companies are finally losing the last loyal buyers in the US and market share is sinking to mean levels, we're seeing decent product being sold as they are finally trying to compete based on product, not heart strings (albeit the product is sourced from the rest of the world, where American car companies actually had to compete for sales all along).

Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I agree buywhat ypu think ois the best car. For too many years donestic makers had limits on imports and some even voluntary limts that did nothing but make USA manufacturers run a crummy business model. One would think that the 70s' would ahve woke domestic makers up but it didn't;they just quit making almost anything buy large trucks with high profits.Now they have to pay if they can stay ihn business.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
I'm sure Detroit autoworkers could give a **** less about MY job/pension.

So, it's Toyota all the way for me!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
There are good american models out there too. Quality continues to improve even though they have to pay more for their workers benefits, our workers. It cant hurt to research models that have good reliability and give them a test drive. American manufactures do make small cars and trucks that get good milage. Since its good for our economy to buy american, and the economy is in trouble, please consider your purchase carefully.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'm sure Detroit autoworkers could give a **** less about MY job/pension.

So, it's Toyota all the way for me!
Yes, but by putting your fellow Americans out of work they are less likely to buy the goods and services your company does which in turn negatively affects your job and pension.

Do you think Toyotas and Hondas are going to be so cheap if they are the only cars on the market? With competition, that ugly Toyota you love is still reasonably priced.

Honestly I think imported cars are overrated. Has anyone read the current reviews of the Toyota Camry? That car has had numerous problems with its transmissions that even Consumer Reports has not recommended it. Toyota seems to be so focused to be number one that it's quality is slipping.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
Buy American brands? The American brands have bought more foreign cars than anybody. Ford owns a good part of Mazda and sold us their trucks in the 70s and 80's with blue ovals on them. GM has been in bed with Suzuki, Isuzu, Toyota.........so much so that they had to form the "Geo" brand to stick all those car under. Chrysler owned a great deal of Mitsubishi and sold us their cars and trucks in the 70s and 80s.

Lets not even talk about them building cars in Mexico and Canada.

The truth is that the American brands just want to play on patriotism to sell cars here. Do you think that Ford or GM of Europe tell them they should buy their cars because they are an American company?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
If there's a reason to buy American it is that GM is making an aggressive turn around. They have stepped up quality, offer great warranties, and they're offering serious discounts to win back market share. For now I'm still a Honda man, and I was before my mother got a job at the new Honda factory in Indiana. '

The new Malibu is nice and the Cadillac CTS is hot. But I don't feel any patriotic duty to buy "American" cars. I think the Accord is best value around. What's funny is GM is very popular in China and GM is moving into that market with success.

I'd buy shares of GM before I'd buy a GM car. I think the company will regain it's glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive