Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times

Advertisements

With associations such as The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the ongoing globilizaion of the automobile industry (aswell as other U.S. industries), do you believe it is still important to purchase American brand automobiles?

Any other thoughts, comments, and concerns about the U.S. auto industry and America's desire for foreign made automobiles, please post them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,672 times
I do believe it is important, solely because of the retired American workers whose pension depends on the car companies staying in business.

To me that's the only reason.

My father bought a Toyota that was built in Indiana by American employees. His purchase is helping out an American Family. I bought a Ford that was built in Mexico. My purchase is helping out a Mexician Family. However, my purchase is also helping out American retirees of Ford who put in 30+ years. If Ford were to go under, all of the retirees would lose their pension. When Ford first hired these people, they made a promise to them. I'm just helping Ford keep that promise.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I don't think it's that important now as it was before because what everybody's goal is to save gas so I guess that's pushing the average american to go with an alternative as far as fuel saving and quality. I am not saying that american built cars lack quality but they don't compare to most imports in this aspect. My two cents.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
No, it's not important at all. It never was; the only thing that matters is economics. The companies that innovate and deliver what the buying public wants should survive, those that don't shouldn't.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 AM

152 posts, read 651,421 times
I'm in agreement with Scuba on this primarily because competition keeps all of the manufacturers on their toes and up to snuff with with building quality products at a reasonable price. I too once owned a Toyota Tundra - made in the USA and guys in Fords - made in Mexico would bash me about "Buying American" ?
I'd also like to add that I don't think that we should support/fund any country that may pose an eminant danger to us or try to flood our country with oh, lets say toys painted with toxic lead that our children will put in their mouths.

Last edited by Don57; 08-11-2008 at 07:03 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I tend to agree that it was never really important, back in the 50's and 60's American cars offered good value for the buck, compared to European imports they were a bit heavy and thirsty, but they were simple and rugged as well. In the 70's the American manufacturers responded poorly to the Clean Air Act, and I think a lot of Real Car Guys left during this depressing period - having been in on building the Superbird, for example, how much enthusiasm would you have for development of the K car?

Today they are to some extent "back" and like Mathguy's new Corvette, you can find desirable American-made cars for sale at each of the "big 3"'s showrooms - along with a large number of bland, bland, bland sedans. That and a backlog of thirsty, heavy SUVs...who in their right mind would want them?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I am not saying that american built cars lack quality but they don't compare to most imports in this aspect. My two cents.
They do compare. Check the latest studies like J.D. Powers and Associates.

I would much rather buy a new Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercury, Chevy, etc than a new Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Nissan, VW, Porsche, etc because the American cars have better service records. No to mention many of the European cars being way overpriced.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I have a Ford Fusion. It has a Mazda 6 motor and rides on a lengthened Mazda chassis, and it was built in Mexico. The only thing American about it is the blue oval - and the NASCAR connection, but I wasn't even aware of that when I bought it.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
many of the best selling non-full to midsize suv/trucks in the gm family come from opel, vauxhall, etc. designed by europeans, partially built by americans.

sticker on my wifes 08 vue identified a half dozen countries of origin for the list of parts and assembly. and the vue is the same car as a vauxhall antara i believe with a gasoline engine rather than diesel

imho its best nowadays to just go with the best deal you can afford for the class of vehicle you want. hardly any regular mass market vehicle is solely from one nation

Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM

301 posts, read 1,547,100 times
I myself don't think it really matters anymore.If you read the new vehicles window sticker it tells you how much of the vehicles parts are made in the USA.There's a differance in made in the USA and installed in the USA.After retiring from the automotive field,my early years US built only now my next buy most likly will be a Honda.I hang my head in shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive