Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times

Advertisements

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra truck. I filled the tank full... and the gas gauge (as I am driving) would go to empty for a while, then jump to full.. then back to empty, etc. A few days later, it is now stuck on full and I know for a fact it isn't full.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or anything I should check on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,038 times
My first bet is a loose or corroded ground wire on the sending unit. There is usually a float type gauge in the tank which sends an electric signal to the gauge in the dashboard. If the dash gauge is erratic in such a way my first guess is something electrical.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
If I remember right, the gauge runs on a "no resistance-F" and "full resistance-E" method. Meaning if the sending unit wire popped off and somehow grounded itself to the frame of the vehicle it would read full all of the time because it's telling the gauge there's no resistance.

I'd check the sending unit wire and make sure it's still connected and not grounding itself on anything, then after that I'd check the sending unit itself.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,331,239 times
Sending units on GM vehicles is a known problem.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,526 times
There may also be an erratic voltage control unit for your gauges. This may be beyond fixing without needing some test instruments and a little knowledge.

Good luck

Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
I will pass this information on to my boyfriend and have him check what you guys are telling me. Hopefully we can fix it and not have to take it in to a shop. Thanks so much!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Sending units on GM vehicles is a known problem.
As well as instrument clusters. I work in a GM dealership (parts dept) and hear this stuff all the time. Without pulling a code, you can throw a lot of money at it without getting it right...

...and electrical parts (i.e.fuel pump module, fuel level sensor, cluster assy) aren't returnable.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Default great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
My first bet is a loose or corroded ground wire on the sending unit. There is usually a float type gauge in the tank which sends an electric signal to the gauge in the dashboard. If the dash gauge is erratic in such a way my first guess is something electrical.

no dought this is what it probably is, i had this happen in 3 different vehicles. great advice...check it out..

Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
As well as instrument clusters. I work in a GM dealership (parts dept) and hear this stuff all the time. Without pulling a code, you can throw a lot of money at it without getting it right...

...and electrical parts (i.e.fuel pump module, fuel level sensor, cluster assy) aren't returnable.
Interesting.

A few years back I was driving along in my 2002 Regal, minding my own business when all the dials started spinning as if I were doing a UFO movie take.

A few seconds of that, and then everything dropped dead. No instruments. I'm glad I wasn't at 30,000 feet.
The car was running fine. Just no gauges.
I popped the hood and yes, the engine was still there.

They replaced the whole cluster. The dealer in Derry, NH, fought me all the way, despite the fact that I had the GM Certified Used 39/39 warranty, had shown the paperwork to them, and had had it in there for service a couple of times. It was nice of them to add a couple of thousand miles, so the warranty was almost gone.
I sold the car and bought an Accord.
Nice work, Buick dealer. It seemed that customers just weren't important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive