Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Nearly all the parts of that Tundra are imported. Its a foreign vehicle with foreign engineering that generates foreign profits however since they assemble it here to avoid import tariffs Toyota can then slap the American flag all over it... what a crock.
Fellow Americans are paid to asemble it. I don't think they will refuse to because parts come from elsewhere. By that logic, UAW workers should refuse to assemble the "American" cars they work on.

Any words of rustbelthero logic re;my mexican made Chrysler PT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 11:45 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Fellow Americans are paid to asemble it. I don't think they will refuse to because parts come from elsewhere. By that logic, UAW workers should refuse to assemble the "American" cars they work on.
Who said they should refuse to build it? The consumer should refuse to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Any words of rustbelthero logic re;my mexican made Chrysler PT?
Maybe you should have researched what you were buying before you bought it. I want a vehicle with American engineering, American raw material manufacturing and American assembly, the big 3 are the only ones who can offer that. And no I would not buy a PT Cruiser... its ugly and it doesn't meet my above criteria.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Who said they should refuse to build it? The consumer should refuse to buy it.

And if the consumer refuses to buy it, the cars don't sell, the company cuts back, the workers get laid off and what is accomplished?

Maybe you should have researched what you were buying before you bought it. I want a vehicle with American engineering, American raw material manufacturing and American assembly, the big 3 are the only ones who can offer that. And no I would not buy a PT Cruiser... its ugly and it doesn't meet my above criteria.
American engineering, American raw material manufacturing and American asembly.....sadly I cannot think of 1 vehicle that qualifies for that criteria 100%. I could buy a Dodge Dakota like my new one in '96, but it was assembled"all or part" in Mexico. I could buy a Suburban but parts of it come from Canada. I could buy a F150, but alas, it has stickers on it about parts or assembly may or may not be from Canada or Mexico.

I've no great prejuidice about American or "foreign" cars, owned and currently own both. But let me say this.....my PT was built by mexican workers, paid by a American company. Their wages were primarily spent in Mexico.
My Tundra was built by American workers, paid by a Japanese company. Their wages were spent in America.
Which vehicle seems to be the most "American" or "Patriotic"? The profits from my PT went to a "big 3" executive who recently took a chunk of yours and mine tax money.
The profits from my Tundra went to a foreign executive who has not asked for my tax money. But his employees, like you and I, also gave part of their tax money to a "big 3" executive.
The one constant problem with "buy American" philosophy is that America is not a isolationist country. You bought the computer screen that you're reading this on from a shop in America, the screen is most likely made, all or part, in a foreign country. But it was sold by a American business, probably a vendor or dealer for foreign made items. Just like my Tundra. An American dealer, being a licensed vendor for a foreign item, sold me the vehicle.
We, you and I, are really no different, no less "guilty" or innocent, of being consumers without 100% buy American street cred.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,072 times
I have a 2007 HHR and I love it!! Mine has 120,000 miles and still going strong! No major fixes, everything has been minor wear and tear you would expect with a car. I wouldn't be surprised if it last me til 300,000 miles; it's a great car!! I average 26 mpg city/hwy combined. I have more room on the inside than I ever normally need. After I get done with this one, I'm planning on getting another one. I love the HHR!! I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got one!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 PM

362 posts, read 392,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Chevy HRR or a Ford Excape. Do you own a HHR?

2011 Chevy HHR | Chevrolet HHR | Crossover | Chevrolet

Thanks, John
Maybe if toyota made one. I guess the Scion XB would be their version. GM is junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive