Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I always thought they should have used the 3800 V6 in the S-10's, it would have combined good power and fuel economy.
The 4.3L V6 was offered starting ca. 1988; both AT and 5spd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
I always thought they should have used the 3800 V6 in the S-10's, it would have combined good power and fuel economy.
Maybe, but they did come out with the 4.3 back in '88, although it wouldn't be until 94 that they started getting any power, with the exception of the rare turbo 4.3 used in the Syclone and Typhoon.

I think a H/O 305 (like what was used in the 91-92 Z28) should have been an option for the S-10. Sort of like when they used to have 305's in Monzas back in '76 thru '80. 235 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque...Would have been a fun little truck from the factory.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Thanks everyone for the information. I like my truck and will be keeping it, however I do feel Chevy should have used a more powerful standard engine on these trucks.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Maybe, but they did come out with the 4.3 back in '88, although it wouldn't be until 94 that they started getting any power, with the exception of the rare turbo 4.3 used in the Syclone and Typhoon.
I was mostly talking about the later years, when GM started using the 3800 in the Camaro/Firebird.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. I like my truck and will be keeping it, however I do feel Chevy should have used a more powerful standard engine on these trucks.
I am not certain but the tuner folks (ricers in some circle) might have some ideas on how to get a bit more power out of it.

I think its wise to hold on to the S10. I know I miss both of mine.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
I had a 95 S-10 4x4 ZR2. Nothing but trouble once it crossed the 40K mile mark.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,174 times
Quote:
I agree there. I also remember mine came with a 4.10 rear end, so even though it was a 4cyl, it still drank gas on the highway like a V6.

My 94 S-10 Reg cab has 4.10 gears, and a 4cyl 5 spd. We traded our 01 S-10 extended cab 4 cyl 5 spd for something bigger as the kids were to cramped up in the tiny seats behind us. Thats the only reason we traded it. The 01 got about 30 mpg on a trip to TX and back and it also had 4.10 gears.

My 94 is all orig far as drive train,other than a timing chain ( I didn't have to, I just don't like a single sound in my engines ), and the motor mounts I ripped out being stupid. I put new plugs in it for the first time last year, the plugs from Autozone didn't suite me so I ended up putting my old ones back in it. It has 165,000 on it and it gets 34-36 mpg today. I have driven this one all over the country, many states it's been manytimes without even a sputter. I top Mount Eagal Mountain about 78 mph in gear 5 everytime unless someone slow gets in my way, then I'll gain back upto 70 mph in 4'th about half throttle,then put it back in 5th gear and at half throttle it'll hold the 70 mph steady to the top. It's taken that trip manytimes using the A/C, but the key is to keep your speed at 70 as the engine is turning up well enough to not to lug down any at that point. Back last summer on the day we broke the 108 degree record, I hauled about 400 pounds in the rear from here to the Arkansas state line.Both me,and the engine made the trip without running hot. I pulled the 195 thermostat out years ago, didn't have to but I rather mine run at 180 degree, and thats where it stays year round using the A/C or not. Last trip to Detroit from Alexandria TN, I made it all the way into Toleto OH on the gas my wife and I left home with. That is a long haul there and it held 15 gallons at fill-up. On my 94, it had a O-2 sensor code years ago and I unplugged it rather than replacing it as it ran better without it. It's super good on gas,and runs very smooth today still and has more pep than the 01 did. I lower mine right,, by only 2'' though and put 215/65/15 Summit tires on it in Jan 2000 after lowering it and re-aligning the front end. That was at 80,000 miles and it now has 165,000 on it still good for another year on the same tires. Tires are nearly 9 years old, and have really been driven alot 82,000 miles on them, and show even wear on all four with no feathered edges on any of them, I only rotated them once three years ago. Only GM I ever owned that didn't wear tires out in at least 3 years with the distance we put on our cars and trucks. It handles great being lower 2'' ( the correct way ) and aligned by me in Jan 2000 ( Y-2-K ). Of course though, I pee'd alot of folks off on my trips up north as I made sure I didn't hit their big giant potholes...or should I say craters in the roads that TN doesn't have here. It revs alittle hard on the hwy about 80 mph so I seldom drive it past 72 for to long at once, but will run it till it hits it limit and nose dives about 98 mph where it hits the speed limiter.Good thing it does though, cause she's wound up pretty tight at that point with 4.10 gears. Very tough dependable truck I must say.Before I put the last set of tires on it in Jan 2000, I used to stop in the country out here and at a dead stop I'd put in 2'nd gear and dump the clutch after flooring the thing while it bounced off the rev limit. It'd go round and round cutting tight donuts never leaving the narrow country backroad. One day I was doing that and as I dump the clutch from a dead stop in second gear to cut more donuts, the engine jump sidways under the hood. It ripped the left motor mount from the bolts on the block, broke the transmission mount, and twisted the right side engine mount. I replaced all three mounts, I had to order them from the nearest dealer for 200.00, and after the pain of laying under it replacing them on the cram packed 94 UP body style, I decided not to jerk it around like that anymore. I knew better than that as I had two weekend street rods for cutting up in. It was just some sorta wild hair I had for a while after I seen my S-10 would cut donuts in 2'nd gear in a very narrow place.Seem like the more folks though it was not possible, the more I had to prove it to them lol. A 4 cyl 'can and will do it' but your motor mounts may pull apart if you jerk it hard enough lol. Since then, I only drive it,not pamper it though as it does run hard on the hwy with the low 4.10 gears at 70 mph most it's time driven, I just don't jerk it around or spin tires,or try to get to hwy speeds in a hurry anymore. I get out the Heavy Chevy's for that purpose, thats what I built them for.

But yes, can't complain about the old 94 2.2 5 spd, she's been very good to me and we'd head out to the west coast in it without a second thought the way she sits with Y-2-K tires on her that have been driven daily.

I put alot of head gaskets on 2.2 Chevys over the years for folks, but I've never had to replace mine,and it's been driven for sure. A few years ago,though it ran perfect and still does, it had a little noise from the timing chain that all 2.2's make after a while. I couldnt stand the thought of even the slightest sound from the engine,so I replaced the timing set. It sounded like brand new again, can't hear it run other than if you listen good at idle, standing in front of it you'll hear the fan moving air. Other than that, folks ask why mines so quiet.

You'd be amazed at how many don't notice the sound their S-10 timing chains are making after it wears slowly and they get used to it as the sound slowly gets worse with more and more miles unoticed,, untill they hear mine run dead quiet.Then they ask why my 2.2 engine makes no sound. I tell them these are prone to timing chain slap after a while, but it's not a costly job to replace,very very simple to install, and it'll run so quiet once replaced.

Last edited by RS-1080; 09-19-2008 at 01:59 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 04:29 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I had a 95 S-10 4x4 ZR2. Nothing but trouble once it crossed the 40K mile mark.
What kinds of problems are we talking?

While we're on this topic how many of you have gone to the dark side and installed a V8 in your S-10?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If you want a little better power and ecomomy, I had my computer "Tuned". It's a simple matter of removing your computer, 5 minute job, and sending it to one of several Hi Performaqnce tuners. they plug your computer into their master computer, and re-write the programs installed at the factory.the factory has to install a program that fits a broad scope of buyers all across the county. The custom tuner can write a program especially designed for your area and type of driving. If you want to pull a trailer, they design it for than. If you want to race, they design one, etc, etc. They will improve your shift points, they can do wonders..
Here is the company I used, it's not expensive, will make a new truck out of it, better mileage, better performance, etc. The day my truck arrived, I sent in my computer...
Take a look.
http://www.wait4meperformance.com/Index.swf

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
What kinds of problems are we talking?
I got rid of it years ago, but it was problems with the fuel injection system, alternator, starter motor, U-joints, system computer replacements still come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive