Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,571,607 times

Advertisements

Personally I think GM should cut some cost by cutting some brands and models. Keep Chevy and Caddy. They're doing the right thing with Saturn becoming Opel America and if they play their cards right and give it a little time it could work as their mid-level luxuary division. Pontiac and Buick, though having a long history with GM, just isn't cutting it anymore. They seem to be falling back on the brand engineering kick again. The Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse are all great crossover vehicles but they are all the same vehicle with different styling cues. The Aura, Malibu, and G6 are basicly the same car as well. The Impala, Lacross, and Grand Prix are also the same car. They made a bad decision in buying Daewoo. I'm of two minds on their purchase of Saab. Opel and Holden was a great buy. They could probably afford to drop Saab. Get GM down to Caddy, Chevy (including trucks), Buick or Saturn (either being Opel America), and GMC for commercial vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,709,946 times
Leave Pontiac alone!

j/k

Old 10-16-2008, 12:31 AM

886 posts, read 5,721,448 times
I agree you ditch ponitac or buick you will have an uprising on your hands. Just because you dont see the sales does not mean they are not there. I can see cutting back on how many models they have but not drop them all together.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,727,913 times
The infrastructure is already there, why would you ditch two of GM's pillars?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,722,093 times
US franchise laws mean simply dropping a brand is cost prohibitive. GM is consolidating its brands under one roof - you'll see dealerships selling cross brand now like Chevy-Cadillac-Hummer, Saturn-Pontiac-Saab, etc.

Longer term GM will sell less models across brands and will consolidate by keeping multiple marquees in one place. It keeps redundancy down, cuts costs in trying to make the same car different, yet keeps sales volumes high enough.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,199,729 times
GM launches campaign to ease credit worries, build traffic

Donna Harris
General Motors will begin a marketing campaign Friday designed to reassure U.S. customers that they can still obtain auto loans through their dealerships even though credit through GMAC remains tight.
The campaign -- called "Financing That Fits" -- promotes the free Web-based credit application system that dealers already use, Route One.
Route One lets dealers access hundreds of lending institutions, including GMAC Financial Services. The lenders serve consumers with a wide range of credit scores.

The advertising follows GMAC's announcement Monday that it would only finance customers with credit scores of 700 or higher.
"They're just trying to let people know that they can go out and buy a car," said Tom Durant, owner of Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM

812 posts, read 4,088,413 times
This reminds me of something that I once read that talked about how GM actually lost from dropping olds. I never saw any numbers on lost sales vs. the cost savings from one less brand's OH, but I remember hearing that rather than simply shift to other GM makes, the Olds buyers that were there were either too angry at GM or indifferent about other GM makes, so they went and tried Toyota, Honda and the like.

Dealers have a large amount of power at GM, and since they all want a full line, it seems like the brands have a place, as backward-logic as that may seem perhaps.

As for Buick, their popularity in China should put them on GM's list of "troubled brand that has potential." I really like some of the looks of concepts that are out there, and since Buick says "exotic American car for the successful" in China, what would it say if they were to learn that "actually, Americans have grown so tired them that they have discontinued selling them in the states." Even a scaled back Buick US market, properly designed to operate for the greater sales abroad would be a smarter move than pulling it altogether as long as they're selling like hotcakes over there.

As for Caddy, I understand the power and desires that dealers have in the GM network, but not having Caddy as a standalone dealer is quite the shame.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:00 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,266,785 times
GM

Chevrolet
Corvette
Camaro
Impala
Economy Cars

Pontiac
Firebird
Solstice
new rear wheel drive performance models

GMC
all trucks and SUVs to include the Hummer

Cadillac
luxery coupes and sedans

Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,253,609 times
GM is a mess.

They create Saturn as a direct competitor to Honda and Toyota small cars, then decide to make it a full line of vehicles.

Subsequently they drop Oldsmobile.

Now, they eliminate all of the things that were supposed to make Saturn "different", and slide it right into where Olds resided in their lineup.

All they ended up doing was rename the Olds brand as Saturn.

Oh yeah, and in one full year I have yet to see a single Saturn Astra on the road. Not a single vehicle.

And don't get me started on their vision of the future, be it electric or biomass fuels:

New GM Partnership Aims for Cheaper Ethanol by 2011: Live at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show - Popular Mechanics

GM’s New Biofuel Bet: Mascoma « Earth2Tech

My bottom line, they have no clue as to where the market is going, and how to impact this direction. They really are just one big sloppy mess.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,462,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
GM is a mess.

They create Saturn as a direct competitor to Honda and Toyota small cars, then decide to make it a full line of vehicles.
Whats laughable is that up until the introduction of the Aura (a European car basically), they were soooooooooooo far behind that it was pathetic. Even more pathetic is that GM sourced Honda motors for one of their Saturns (VUE Redline). Beat em by joining em, right GM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive