Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times

Advertisements

Cars U.S. automakers produce are ugly! A Cadillac or a Lincoln used to be beautiful! But not anymore. How many years did it take the companies to realize Americans like the retro look. The Mustand is a beautiful car, and has sold well. Now, Chrysler has the Challenger, and GM has the Camaro. I Cadillac should stop trying to look like a foreign import and start looking like a Cadillac again. Town Cars are suppose to be big and luxurious. I remember the Lincolns of the 1970's. They were the most beautiful cars on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,832 times
it isn't the exteriors that bad, it is the interiors of domestic cars that are horrific. absolutely poor interior designs, ergonomics, material quality, and build quality.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
I am a Cadillac fanatic and I agree with you... they lost their distinctive styling when they entered the 2000's. I do think the new CTS's look very mean... that look also has engineering purpose to it as well. However their full size DeVille's aren't very appealing to me. They need to go back to the big wide body with fender skirts and rear-wheel drive. On the other hand I still really like the Lincoln TC's and they have maintained the RWD which is a big seller for me.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Cars U.S. automakers produce are ugly! A Cadillac or a Lincoln used to be beautiful! But not anymore. How many years did it take the companies to realize Americans like the retro look. The Mustand is a beautiful car, and has sold well. Now, Chrysler has the Challenger, and GM has the Camaro. I Cadillac should stop trying to look like a foreign import and start looking like a Cadillac again. Town Cars are suppose to be big and luxurious. I remember the Lincolns of the 1970's. They were the most beautiful cars on the road.
Certainly you must agree that the Cadillac XLR is a sharp looking car, yes?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Certainly you must agree that the Cadillac XLR is a sharp looking car, yes?
Consider its price range, and the cars it competes with? How can you justify 60K+ when the interior has so much plastic? So cheap in detail? Also, this is the car that took over the Eldorado which was a flagship. It's so sad, but Cadillac has lost it

Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 PM

56 posts, read 197,314 times
When and if should I decide to sell my current track car, I'm going to purchase a second hand C6 Z06.

I never thought American cars were very unattractive, they just haven't been 'sports cars.'

Like Top Gear summarized this past week, Americans were good at one thing, muscle cars, big engines, crude suspension, and loud colors. "It's like a big impressive body builder but when you pull down his trousers..."

Old 11-10-2008, 06:55 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I'm just not that much into newer cars, they don't represent much of a value to me, since the wrench is pretty strong with me - there isn't much that can go wrong with an older rig that I can't fix, in a cost-effective manner.

Most newer cars are over-complicated, for example BMW's I-Drive, which can in some circumstances keep the car from starting (security code) and in any case is an uber-complex way to run the radio and heater - A/C.

Current American car styling is part of it. Consider the two above - to me at least they are to the 1960's original exactly as Madonna is to Marilyn. A plastic, current-day knockoff that is similar but not quite right.

Joe Average Amerian (apparently) wants a car that's bigger, softer-sprung, "built for comfort not for speed" - about the opposite of what I want. And all of the built-in obsolescence of GPS nav, "On-Star", etc. I can read a map. I don't need this stuff and don't want to pay for it.

Really about the only current-production car I would want is the Lotus Elise...

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Consider its price range, and the cars it competes with? How can you justify 60K+ when the interior has so much plastic? So cheap in detail? Also, this is the car that took over the Eldorado which was a flagship. It's so sad, but Cadillac has lost it
I agree that the interior of American cars leaves a lot to be desired. But the XLR on the outside looks good (to me anyway). I'm not very familiar with the XLR's interior materials and quality, so I can't really comment. My position is similar to that I have with the Corvette Z06. Lotsa plastic but the rest of the car makes the compromise acceptable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No. Not for me, anyway. Because they are not traditional Cadillacs like these 1974s are...
The 70's era Cadillacs are not my favorites. Regarding "old school" Cadillacs, I'd have to go with the cars from the 20's and 30's. Just my opinion...

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Really about the only current-production car I would want is the Lotus Elise...
I saw one of those the other day...very nice. It was dark blue...

Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius View Post
Like Top Gear summarized this past week, Americans were good at one thing, muscle cars, big engines, crude suspension, and loud colors. "It's like a big impressive body builder but when you pull down his trousers..."
Top gear never gives any respect to American cars even when they blow the doors off all the European cars those fools coo over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive