Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM

81 posts, read 238,657 times

Advertisements

Most people from other countries do not understand your prerogative on driving these big pick up trucks and huge SUV's. I ponder why small women go inside and drive these big vehicles, when obviously it does not fit there needs. Are most Americans that ignorant, because I just can not think of any reason why other then to fulfill there insecure ego.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
A lot of us are fat.
Other than that, I really don't know why. We're materialistic and spoiled, therefore we have lot's of stuff to carry around.
Personally, I think it's pretty dumb the things we drive around in.
I've never understood it.
We drive around in those ridiculous things, and then we have the nerve to complain about our dependence on foreign oil.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Wow, first post and you are calling us ignorant. Not even a hello or introduction. Actually we drive them because we can. Simple as that.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
so you join a new forum and your first post is basically to come in and stir up a hornets' nest? wow. way to make friends.

but, to answer your question (if there really is one), people drive large vehicles for a number of reasons:

1) yes, it is a status symbol. just like some choose to drive a nice big BMW or Mercedes to show off, some choose a nice big pick-up or SUV instead. and while that Bimmer or Benz may look nice and afford a great deal of amenities, they're absolutely useless vehicles from a utilitarian standpoint.

2) you speak of not having a vehicle that fits one's needs, but do you KNOW what the needs of that person is? perhaps they have a large family. perhaps the vehicle is their livelihood. perhaps they live in areas where weather and other conditions could require a 4WD vehicle.

3) being in another country (i'm assuming from your post), you may be operating under the outdated notion that pick-ups and SUVs are still all the rage here. they're not. in the last few years, there has been a SIGNIFICANT shift to more practical and fuel-efficient vehicles. hybrids are extremely popular, as are smaller crossover-style vehicles that offer a lot of the space SUV drivers want while offering better MPG and more car-like manners. are pick-ups and SUVs still in existence? of course they are. nothing goes away that fast. but you are seeing a lot of people rethinking their needs and going with vehicles that make a bit more sense.

but at the end of the day, if you want to know why Americans like large vehicles, it's because we can. citizens of other countries like to pretend their choice in small vehicles have to do with some superior intellect and sensibility they possess. but really, if these people had access to the wide roads, open areas, cheap gasoline, and cheaper overall cost of ownership that we enjoy, you'd probably see just as many large vehicles in these countries as well.

Mike

Old 11-15-2009, 07:00 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
People here are larger than in other places, roads are larger, most places have a room to park a larger vehicle. Having the flexibility to carry more people and load for a small increase in price and operating costs makes a lot of sense for many.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM

392 posts, read 1,553,447 times
I know this post is a troll, but there are real answers to this question.

A few off the top of my head:
  • Some people actually need the space provided by these vehicles. Their vehicles may serve as on-the-road offices. They may have large families to move around. Some use these vehicles for construction or landscape work.
  • Big vehicles shelter you from the road. I believe most Americans don't enjoy driving very much. They view it as a necessary annoyance. Therefore, any vehicle that shelters them from the noise and bumps of road travel will appeal to them.
  • Big vehicles have a certain feel that appeals to many Americans.
  • In most places, American roads and parking have plenty of space.
  • Gas is relatively cheap here.
  • It's easier to give a large vehicle a stately, adult look. That appeals to many people. Too many small vehicles look dorky or look like toys.
BTW: It seems to me that there are many more smaller vehicles on the road these days, mostly asian brands. As the economy improves, and if gas prices don't spike, I believe people will buy more large vehicles. In fact, GM's last month was made by big increases in their truck sales.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
Next Question: Why do Americans bathe so often?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Most people from other countries do not understand your prerogative on driving these big pick up trucks and huge SUV's. I ponder why small women go inside and drive these big vehicles, when obviously it does not fit there needs. Are most Americans that ignorant, because I just can not think of any reason why other then to fulfill there insecure ego.
You should not group all Americans together. I for one HATE large vehicles!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
it does not fit there needs. Are most Americans that ignorant
You mean "their needs"?

See? Its easy to criticize!

And FYI, I'm American and prefer small, sporty cars to big, lumbering ones.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
so you join a new forum and your first post is basically to come in and stir up a hornets' nest? wow. way to make friends.

but, to answer your question (if there really is one), people drive large vehicles for a number of reasons:

1) yes, it is a status symbol. just like some choose to drive a nice big BMW or Mercedes to show off, some choose a nice big pick-up or SUV instead. and while that Bimmer or Benz may look nice and afford a great deal of amenities, they're absolutely useless vehicles from a utilitarian standpoint.

2) you speak of not having a vehicle that fits one's needs, but do you KNOW what the needs of that person is? perhaps they have a large family. perhaps the vehicle is their livelihood. perhaps they live in areas where weather and other conditions could require a 4WD vehicle.

3) being in another country (i'm assuming from your post), you may be operating under the outdated notion that pick-ups and SUVs are still all the rage here. they're not. in the last few years, there has been a SIGNIFICANT shift to more practical and fuel-efficient vehicles. hybrids are extremely popular, as are smaller crossover-style vehicles that offer a lot of the space SUV drivers want while offering better MPG and more car-like manners. are pick-ups and SUVs still in existence? of course they are. nothing goes away that fast. but you are seeing a lot of people rethinking their needs and going with vehicles that make a bit more sense.

but at the end of the day, if you want to know why Americans like large vehicles, it's because we can. citizens of other countries like to pretend their choice in small vehicles have to do with some superior intellect and sensibility they possess. but really, if these people had access to the wide roads, open areas, cheap gasoline, and cheaper overall cost of ownership that we enjoy, you'd probably see just as many large vehicles in these countries as well.

Mike

^ This post is spot on if you ask me. It would appear that it boils down to Europeans being jealous of Americans, like usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive