Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times

Advertisements

The cruise on my 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier (five speed FWD) is smooth, going up or down hill.. I have the advantage of saving money from tickets that has more than paid for the CC, plus, I save money on gas. My speed varies only by one MPH uphill or downhill. If my CC had been female, I would of married it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 49,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I hate cruise control. Especially on the Interstate, when I find myself playing chicken all the time. Can I sneak into the passing lane before I hit the bumper of the slowpoke in front of me, or should I switch it off? And I think it wastes gas---I don't mind going up a hill at 60, but my cruise control insists on downshifting to suck me up the hill at 68. There are a few times I've used it, out west on lightly traveled flat straight 2-lane highways, but I start to get stir-crazy, I want to take back control my own car.
I use mine instead of my foot. just bump it up 2 mph as you start up the hill and it usually unlocks the clutch in the converter, enough to get you pulling quicker before the big downshift. On steeper hills push the OD off button and beat it to the shift and it wont grab two gears.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 AM

23 posts, read 49,538 times
Talking Proper Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
One of my favorite "urban legends" is about the guy who sets the cruise control in his conversion van and goes to the back to get a drink. The van runs off the road and he dies. Never happened.
In Texas you have to say
Quote:
"Watch This" before you do that!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I've used my Explorer's cruise control a lot. It seems smooth and really maintains an even speed on long drives. My Mustang's a little choppier, but ok, too.

My other car has adaptive cruise control - neat feature. You don't have to keep turning it on and off (off and then resume) b/c it senses the car in front of it and maintains distance (slows itself down and speeds up as needed). Haven't had a lot of chances to use it (as the Explorer is the long trip car).

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I don't like it, either. I don't like anything that takes away the feel of the road or the feel of control. This also includes power brakes and power steering, and an automatic transmission.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,579,727 times
We use company rentals a lot and I use them in the cars have them so I won't end up doing 80 to 90 MPH. In a different car, you creep on up there without realizing it.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,938,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
We use company rentals a lot and I use them in the cars have them so I won't end up doing 80 to 90 MPH. In a different car, you creep on up there without realizing it.
That's how i ended up w/my first ticket......it was doubled for being a construction zone w/no construction.........$270. All because i was the DD and drove someone else's car.....grrr!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,538,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
That's how i ended up w/my first ticket......it was doubled for being a construction zone w/no construction.........$270. All because i was the DD and drove someone else's car.....grrr!!!!!!!!
Gotta love those Revenue Enhancement er, CONSTRUCTION zones... There was one on I-71 North of Louisville AGES after the construction was finished. And they worked it HARD...

Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,920 times
I would never buy a car without cruise control.

The cruise on my Santa Fe is smooth except the resume function occasionally hesitates up to three seconds before kicking back up. The owner's manual calls this hesitation 'normal'. I call it annoying.

I don't understand cars that don't have a 'cancel' feature on their cruise buttons or stalks. My buddy's Focus doesn't have a cancel button and I found it aggravating to have to tap the brake in order to cancel the cruise so I can resume it later. My Santa Fe has a cancel button which I use all the time to the point that I have almost never pushed the brake to cancel it.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
I hate cruise control and never use it! Guess I'm too much of a control freak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive