Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of digging one of these for my next driver. I know most of them are hitting 37 plus years by now, but you gotta face it; it's one of the most popular styles out there and it seems like when they built these trucks they built them to last.

Anyone that's ever been in one can attest to how much metal is inside the cab. It's like an old school set up. No plush interiors and such....just mostly metal.

Anyone here ever owned one of these? I've always wanted to know about the ride and drive quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'm sort of digging one of these for my next driver. I know most of them are hitting 37 plus years by now, but you gotta face it; it's one of the most popular styles out there and it seems like when they built these trucks they built them to last.

Anyone that's ever been in one can attest to how much metal is inside the cab. It's like an old school set up. No plush interiors and such....just mostly metal.

Anyone here ever owned one of these? I've always wanted to know about the ride and drive quality.
67 to 72 has always been my favorite for styling and build quality. You need to watch out for rust. The ½ ton short bed is the most popular and most expensive.
Ride quality is like any pickup, the ½ ton would be better than the ¾ ton. I would look for a highly optioned 71 or 72 with PS, PB, and A/C deluxe interior and two toned paint.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Years ago I owned a 67 Chevy half-ton. It had the 327 with the 2-speed Powerglide tranny. No power steering or power brakes. Obviously no power accessories, as they hadn't even thought of them back then.

It was an absolute wreck when I bought it, and I basically rebuilt everything in regards to the body.

Absolutely unbelievable engine! Unbelievable power! Unfortunately, with a 2-speed tranny, it really did not get very good mileage.

I'd actually love to have one of those again. I think what I'd like to find is one with a straight 6, and a 3 on the tree.

Old school!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,387 times
They are cool. A classic body style. Very different from the modern pickup truck. Here is one near me:
1971 Chevy C20 Pickup truck '454' BBC (http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1075299067.html - broken link)
Might as well get the big block if you are just going to be driving around town...
Personally, I like the style from the mid-1950s:
1954 Chevy 3100 Pickup (http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1080549092.html - broken link)

Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,147 times
In the late 80's, I had a 69 Chevy custom camper 20, 3/4 ton. The linkage on the column shift used to come apart and I would have to jump out at redlights, pop the hood, fix it and get it in gear again. I got tired of that so a cut a hole in my floorboard and put shift kit on it. It had a 327, I drove it for a couple years and sold it for what I paid for it, kinda wish I still had it.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
I've also heard when it comes to hauling things, these are one of the best trucks to use because they do not have leaf springs, so instead you can install stiffer coils. Not sure how true it is.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
I've had several, and also a '61 apache 10 that I completly resto'd. I'm currently working on a 1970 GMC short fleet 1/2 ton. (Sorry Omaha, I gave the strait six and three speed away.) It's getting an old school 6.2 liter, naturally aspirated diesel mated to a built 700R4 tranny.
Of the old GM trucks out there, this style is the one that had enuf factory options available, that you can still find aftermarket, to bolt right on and make a pretty comfortable, modern daily cruiser out of. And easy enuf to drop a plethora of different engines and drivetrain combo's into. And you dont need a phD in electronic theory to work on it yourself.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,387 times
My buddy had a 71 half ton long bed. I drove it multiple times and it rode and drove nice. Steering was a little sloppy, but it was old. I've been looking around for that era short bed too. They are nice trucks.

And yes, they have coils in the rear instead of leaf springs, so I would think you'd be able to swap coils rather easily.

Last edited by RopeS; 03-19-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,844 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...opperhead.html

an awesome truck.here, i love them to . way outa my range, for a daily driver. but if i had extra cash laying around. im pretty sure me and old copperhead could get along,just fine. as could any c 10 lover.

Last edited by Drilco; 03-19-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeS View Post
Steering was a little sloppy, but it was old. I've been looking around for that era short bed too. They are nice trucks.

And yes, they have coils in the rear instead of leaf springs, so I would think you'd be able to swap coils rather easily.
The manual steering gears in these trucks are known for getting real loose over time. It is a bolt up deal to swap in a power steering gear from a later truck(the entire front crossmember, including disc brakes is a bolt in swap from 1963 thru 1987).
A stabilizer bar helps front end handling alot also. Again, same bar and brackets used, '63 thru '87.
They were equipped with coils in the rear, great ride on the highway, but would cause some "wheel hop" when towing or stuck in some soft stuff like sand, or snow. Leaf's were available as an option, rare, but they're out there. My current project has leafs in the rear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive