Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:08 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
That is Hyundai's 2.7 liter Delta V6, also used by Mitsubishi in the Galant (I think) and in turn passed down to Chrysler. I believe it was used in the Intrepid, Eagle Vision, etc. mid-size sedans.
The minivans used to have the "smoking" 3.0 V6 from Mitsubishi in them. After a time, the valve guides would go bad and the thing would belch smoke all over town. The American built 3.3 and 3.8 engines used in these vans were much better than the junk Mitsubishi made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I knew Id get that knee-jerk response from you. Are you coming down on the SS Cobalt and CTS-V? Those are the same two cars you highly praised earlier in several of your posts. And yes, the Focus was European in original design, no argument there. The current Focus isnt, however, and while its not much to write home about, its reliable, selling well, and hardly "outdated" with features like Sync, etc. The first generation Focus is STILL to this day a better chassis than most current offerings from other companies. When I went looking for cars awhile back I drove (and have driven prior to) tons of models. Why did I go with the Focus? The chassis. Plain and simple, it rocks. Even in base models the neutrality of the chassis is BMW-esque in feel. I opted for the SVT because it improves upon the base Focus 3 door in incredible ways. The chassis is so friggin good that Im going to have a hard time finding something after it that will be an improvement. Every car I drive after the SVT Focus feels ponderous and slow now. lol
The Cobalt design is woefully dated, even if they finally got the driving dynamics right on the SS just in time to cancel it a year later pending any announcement the SS package will carry over to the Cruze. I do like the looks of the Cruze, I hope they carry over the SS option. I also hope they finally give it an interior that doesn't shout "CHEAP AMERICAN PLASTIC ala RENTAL FLEET!" I've always said the CTS is ugly. And yes, the Focus is a European design, left over from the first generation. What we got here was new body panels on the first generation and that's it. The second-generation platform design has been on sale in Europe for years but we've been soldiering on with the first generation. Ford will finally get its head out of its ass in 2010 when the third generation is released, and they will bring it to North America when it is.

Last edited by Drover; 03-21-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I like reliability as well, that is why I usually chose Ford or Chevy. For me they just run, and run, and run. I have never owned a Ford product that I sold with LESS than 175,000 miles and still running. I usually get tired of driving them long before they die. My Chevy's in the yard right now have 177,000 miles and 289,000 miles on them, the Ford is the baby of the bunch and hardly broken in with only 55,000 miles. (Even had a Geo Metro POS that went 150,000 miles before I had to sell it for a move.)

Only Foreign vehicles I have owned were nightmares for repairs and costly. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, & Subaru all have left me walking along the side of the road, several times for some of them.
My last american car was a dodge dart slant 6,1976,switched from toyota to be good american,sold back to dealer after a few months at a large loss,piece of junk,have owned toyota's since.Never a breakdown ever,125,000 0n 77,276,000 on 86 and now 140,000 on 99 still running strong.Rarely a complaint on toyota.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont get me wrong, Japan still rules the reliability arena...
Not anymore...

Jaguar, Buick dethrone Lexus in reliability study- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Old 03-21-2009, 04:24 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My last american car was a dodge dart slant 6,1976,switched from toyota to be good american,sold back to dealer after a few months at a large loss,piece of junk,have owned toyota's since.Never a breakdown ever,125,000 0n 77,276,000 on 86 and now 140,000 on 99 still running strong.Rarely a complaint on toyota.
I used to own a '66 Dart GT V-8. The engine was rebuilt after 24 years in 1990; it was still runing fine but started to burn too much oil.
The transmission gave absolutely no problems until 1987 (too many power-brake burnouts).
I ran that car up to about 235,000 miles and they were not "gentle" miles.
The car was very practical (plenty of interior and trunk room) and quite fun to drive, especially after I did some engine and drivetrain modifications (dual exhaust, Carter AFB 500 cfm carb, Holley intake manifold, electronic ignition and a shift kit).
I did some tests of passing times and got 40-60 mph in 4.0 seconds and 50-70 mph in 4.8.
With full-throttle starts, burnouts, winding out the engine in 1st gear, never a complaint at all from the engine. It also never knocked or dieseled (also known as "run-on").

Old 03-21-2009, 05:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Had two different friends that had mid 70's Darts with the slant six in them. One was ALWAYS broke down and the other one you couldn't kill it (and trust me we tried as teenagers to kill that thing). Maybe you should give American vehicles a chance again. 33 years is a longer time to hold a grudge than the Hatfields and McCoys. Things have made big changes in the years that have come after the 70's.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
What's your opinion?

I had a Ford Windstar for several years. The transmission and head gasket were replaced, the tie rods were replaced twice, several issues with the traction control, and for some reason the interior light liked to stay on for a while if you opened the back hatch.

I'm now driving a used honda accord and love it. I will never buy another ford again.
Although I can't stand American cars and probably will continue to go out of my way to avoid even a foriegn model that is made in the US (like the models of Honda, Toyota, Merc and BMW made here).

I wouldn't get pissed off at Ford over a Windstar. Out of all the domestic trash, Ford is probably the best. I'm about to buy a beater for my son, and it'll be a Ford. He can learn on that before he gets his first real car, from Japan.

Last edited by caution; 03-21-2009 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: oh and the Cobalt is a POS...

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Cobalt design is woefully dated, even if they finally got the driving dynamics right on the SS just in time to cancel it a year later pending any announcement the SS package will carry over to the Cruze. I do like the looks of the Cruze, I hope they carry over the SS option. I also hope they finally give it an interior that doesn't shout "CHEAP AMERICAN PLASTIC ala RENTAL FLEET!" I've always said the CTS is ugly. And yes, the Focus is a European design, left over from the first generation. What we got here was new body panels on the first generation and that's it. The second-generation platform design has been on sale in Europe for years but we've been soldiering on with the first generation. Ford will finally get its head out of its ass in 2010 when the third generation is released, and they will bring it to North America when it is.
No doubt the Cobalt is cheap inside, but to be honest, sitting in the latest 4Runner and Corolla, I think its no worse. Yes, Toyota's plastics are seamless and overall a bit nicer, but theyre still hard to the touch (what happened to the good ol' soft dashes?!?!?!) and the buttons are clunky, as is the Cobalt.

The CTS is funky looking too. Looks like Caddy took over Ford's "New Edge" design and ran with it on several of their models.

And regarding the Focus, all drivers usually prefer the 1st gen Focus, as the 2nd gen has been toned down in the handling department (RS aside).

Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,233 times
Well, poster, let's just say that with regard to your _junk_ American cars, you must be like that character in the L'il Abner comic strip that was always seen walking around with a thunder cloud over his head.

As for redefining what _patriot_ means, I don't think so. Simply put, an American Patriot is anyone smart enough to know that voting for Nobama is a vote to turn this country into a Marxist, totalitarian regime.

It should also be noted that patriots are smart enough to discover for themselves that American cars are, at least on a par with any of their foreign counterparts — ergo, not so stupid as to believe what they read in magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Rosinante, do you realise that many "american cars" are now made out of this country as are many of their parts? And that the profits you mention going overseas also pays the mortgage and puts food on the tables of good hard working Americans? You need to redefine the word "patriot".

I have owned 6 vehicles so far, 2 American, 2 Imports made in America, and 2 made in Japan. The 2 American were pieces of Junk, constantly had problems, I had each for no more than 3 years before getting rid of them. The 2 imports made here in American, One I had for 15 years and traded it in for the other which I have had for 4 years now, both were and are very dependible, never left me walking or calling. The Japan made ones includes one that I have had for 15 years now and still have, only let me down once and that was 12 years ago. The other is 4 years old and never had a problem. I will stick to my Toyotas and Hondas thankyou and I do consider myself a patriot.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
I'm in the same boat, I will never go back to owning an American car again.

I've grown very fond of BMW, Honda and Toyota over the years. The American auto industry screwed the American consumer with inferior products for too many decades, they won't get any more of my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive