Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,805 times

Advertisements

Here's the scenario, in woman language.

The car was sitting on a street that flooded over the weekend. About 5-6 inches of water got into the car, but as far as I know it didn't reach the car's computer (2008 Toyota Corolla - I believe the computer is somewhere up near the glove compartment).

The water was shop-vacced out the next morning (Saturday) and the car towed to the dealership Monday morning. It was never started during the flood. When my husband tried to start it Saturday morning, it would turn over but not start.

The service department ripped out the seats and carpet Monday afternoon. The insurance adjuster got there Tuesday and declared the car totaled. It hadn't been put on the service center's computer yet to see what the damage was.

I trust my insurance agent and the service center guy who's reporting back to us. I've never dealt with the insurance adjuster.

Any manly opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
It's totalled because the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, so it's less expensive to just pay you out what the car is worth, less deductable.

To diagnose potential electrical issues and replace an interior are expensive and time consuming.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 AM

157 posts, read 1,093,337 times
There is a lot of wiring/electrical parts in the car other than just the 'computer' you are referring to. There are many modules and such and many wires that run along the floor boards that will turn into a nightmare over time with rust and corrosion. I'd be thankful that they totaled it if I were you.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
In my state, if your 2008 Corolla is worth $10k, but it will cost more than $7,500k to fix, the car is automatically totaled - costs to repair can't exceed 75% of value. The car may be fine and may be bought as a salvage vehicle and rebuilt, but for the insurance company, its easier to just give you a check for the car at $10k rather than spend at least $7,500 trying to fix it.

Flooded cars are never right after being repaired - too many electrical gremlins "swim in" and the car never recovers.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
In my state, if your 2008 Corolla is worth $10k, but it will cost more than $7,500k to fix, the car is automatically totaled - costs to repair can't exceed 75% of value. The car may be fine and may be bought as a salvage vehicle and rebuilt, but for the insurance company, its easier to just give you a check for the car at $10k rather than spend at least $7,500 trying to fix it.

Flooded cars are never right after being repaired - too many electrical gremlins "swim in" and the car never recovers.
I think that's your main issue. They don't want to have to keep messing with this car. There are just too many possible future problems. So they'll total it, sell it off at an auction, and be out from under the liability.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,805 times
Though the car was never hooked up to a diagnostic machine, one of the service guys went through it with some kind of hand held unit. I talked to him this morning and he said the electricals were pretty much hosed.

Thanks to all who answered. I appreciate your input.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
I am seriously thinking about getting full coverage for my car. It was flooded recently, but luckily it's working now. I went to a Honda dealership yesterday. They have about 70 vehicles being repaired with about 20 with flood damage. A good number are SUVs.

Without full coverage, I am super thankful it still works.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Oh no! You got it huh? Sorry to hear...so many of our friends were flooded after the last 2 weekend rains!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Take the money, buy the car from the insurance company, get a shop electrical manual, learn auto electrics while fixing it. Most flooding repairs involve taking every connector apart, drying it out, spraying it with anti-corrosive fluid and putting it back together. This is tedious and time consuming work, because you only work with one connector at a time, but not very complicated. Done right you might be able to pay yourself a couple of grand while keeping the car.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:21 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
If you or DH are handy, do what GregW suggests. If not, take the money and run. Fundamentally Greg's right though - somebody is going to be getting a pretty good car out of this, at a considerable discount money wise, by investing a little sweat equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive