Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Just another government dash for our cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
No way, if they actually want to do something like that they need to do it right, research a formula taking in consideration miles driven, total weight per mile driven, trip time, etc, etc, etc to come up with an appropriate measure.
Or they can just keep the tax at the pump which is simple for everyone.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i don't see how they could do it with anything less than some sort of mandated black box on every vehicle. no thanks!

Mike
I think most newer cars already have one.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
odometers are way to easy to tamper with. The powers to be know that.

This will be a GPS "solution". Of course they won't actually "track anyone" wink wink...

I wouldn't be surprised to see this all tied into OBD Level III which will "broadcast" all pertinent info from your vehicle to road side receivers as you drive by. It's all part of the GREEN problem you know. Too too many of us ignore that check engine light for too long...wasting fuel etc etc etc.

The system has already been demoed and field trials completed in Ca.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I see tehy are alos thinking about using auto shut down for police chases at the same time.The thing is we need to watch that they drop the fuel taxes as they have a ahbit of never ending a tax.Registration fees already take care of this in states by being different in different vehicles by size.Notice how they keep going up even when they were making a mint when gas was so high.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
This is insanity. My cars are all decades old and the odometers are so easy to reset. As for GPS, an EMP can easily fry any device. How much more nonsense are these government goons going to come up with?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I seriously think Obama and the Congressional Dems have been conned by by GM and Chrysler. How can you reduce carbon emissions (which is one of their major goals) by reducing the cost difference of a gas guzzler and a Prius?

FTR this has only been proposed, but it makes about as much sense as Cap and Trade, which is now only awaiting 60 Senate votes and Obama's autograph. The current Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, with similar rates for each state - here in Kentucky you can add 22.5 cents per gallon.

Currently gas where I'm at is $2.38, it would only be $1.96 cents w/o any gas tax. If a Dodge Ram was taxed the same per mile as a Pruis the difference in price to drive 100 miles would fall by $1, from $9.79 to $8.70 cents.

Would this make you more likely to get a larger vehicle?
Absolutely.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This is insanity. My cars are all decades old and the odometers are so easy to reset. As for GPS, an EMP can easily fry any device. How much more nonsense are these government goons going to come up with?

It's just a matter of time, before they make vehicles of a certain age, illegal to drive. In my neck of the woods, I have noticed a huge resurgence of older vehicles on the road as of late. Including my own......I'm sure TPTB are tracking these trends closely as well.

The fact is, they are more reliable, and I can work on them myself, and I can buy twleve of them, for the cost of one new one. And, in the end run, do exactly the same thing the new one does, moves me from point A to point B, and back again. This denies the govt of taxes on expensive repairs that only a dealer, or mechanic can make. They dont want you making your own repairs. The dumber they can keep us, the more reliant we become to work within the system they develop, and by default, force upon us.....
The same reason they want to license people making body repaisr, citing VOC in paint, etc, as dangerous. The govt makes too much $$ by "licensing" and taxing repair shops. Dont want the DIY guy doing their own stuff, there's no $$ in it for them, so they regulate the money out of our pockets, by making us criminals for wanting to save a buck, and be self reliant. If you give it some thought, you can extend the same premise to just about all new "legislation" passed these days, it's not about helping the general populace, it's about creating more REVENUE........

OBD III, eh? I'll get another twenty years out of my 1970 GMC........

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
A gas meter would kill businesses. Who is going to drive across town to eat, or shop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive