Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times

Advertisements

It depends on the car. Some cars are better with a manual/auto. Honda makes great manuals b/c they have no torque so they are easy to shift. Lexus makes smooth automatics great for a car like a LS.

All depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
I've never been able to drive a manual properly without it stalling (even after many tries in the past.) The only reason I don't drive one is I don't wish to get into an accident because of it stalling in traffic or something.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've never been able to drive a manual properly without it stalling (even after many tries in the past.) The only reason I don't drive one is I don't wish to get into an accident because of it stalling in traffic or something.
When I was still learning to drive a manual, I drove my father's car by myself for the first time. On my way back home I hit traffic and stalled at every stop. Quite a few people were angry with me that day....Needless to say, I only made it home by a "miracle" (and by running through stops signs the rest of the way).

Now that I regularly drive a stick shift, I have a hard time liking automatics.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM

194 posts, read 300,436 times
What I find odd is that on threads like these is that Manual drivers despite being in the minority of car drivers (in the US) make up most of the posts calming manual superiority for a variety of different (and questionable) reasons, the thread inevitably invokes more and more extreme comments and any one who defends the automatic is mercilessly ridiculed.

Why is that ?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 PM

22 posts, read 79,380 times
I have a small child, so it's easier to attend to her in case of emergency while driving automatic and not having the need to use my right arm to shift. If she cries for a sippy cup or something, I can just reach to her with my arm to give her what she wants. Plus I tend to end up in traffic a lot, and automatic is easier to drive in traffic situations.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
I was having a grand old time in my challenger (manual) today until I made it to an off ramp that had a bit of an incline that I really wasn't aware of. So, I'm going into first and my car stalls. UGG. I stall the car again. This was really a horrible and embarassing situation. The people were beeping and getting annoyed. (I am new to the manual thing here). If I were driving an auto, this wouldn't have been an issue. When all is said and done, the manual is so much fun that I'm willing to deal with the learning curve!!
What you want is a hill assist feature on your manual transmission. Most newer automobiles with manual transmissions incorporate a feature that works as follows: if you stop at an incline, and then press the clutch pedal to take off, either the vehicle's clutch or the brakes will momentarily prevent the vehicle from moving backwards, which in turn gives you about a couple of seconds for you to engage the clutch and pull forward.

I used to drive large trucks that had this feature, but there was a air-operated engage/release button right on the stick. Lets say that I was driving a dump truck with a heavy load and had to stop on an incline. In this case all i had to do was to engage the hill assist feature just before engaging the clutch and moving uphill.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
I can drive both but I can stand a manual car! I'm only 5 feet 3 inches and have to have the seat up all the way to drive it and frankly that's dangerous! I don't find them faster than a automatic either nor fun to drive. Can't stand the roll back too.
New automobiles with manual transmissions don't roll back on you anymore (read my previous post above)

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Manuel

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That's incorrect. Most modern automatics are better on fuel mileage than the same car with a manual.
Drive a Subaru Forester with a manual 5-speed transmission against their 4-speed automatic, and you will save some fuel with the manual. However, more and more automobile manufacturers are adding more gears to their automatic transmissions, which in turn saves fuel on highway driving. But a manual transmission still has an advantage on fuel consumption unless the automatic transmission has a couple more gears than the manual. Also, paddle shifters on semi-automatic transmissions can help you save fuel when needed.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-09-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Modern CVTs (especially eCVTs) match or beat manual transmissions in fuel efficiency.

However, when it comes to fun, nothing beats the control of a manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive