Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM

594 posts, read 1,200,016 times

Advertisements

Manual transmissions are much more common than automatic transmissions in Asia, Africa, South America and Europe.

In Europe, 80% of the car's sold are Manual; while almost all car's sold in the U.S. are Automatic.

Automatic transmissions are used by almost all driver's in North America, especially the U.S., and most of Australian driver's. If you have only taken driver's licence for Automatic transmission driving, most European countries do not allow you to drive Manual cars.

Which do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Generally, I prefer a stick, but in some specific environments like a hilly urban area, typical of Seattle, I would go with a slushbox.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
I prefer manual transmission in any decent size vehicle. SUV's/Trucks/Vans need a slushbox though.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Depends on the car and circumstances. If it's a daily driver, in traffic and daily stop and go, I prefer an auto. If it's a performance car such as a Corvette, Viper, Porsche, etc, then a manual is the only way! Open road or on a twisty road, the manual is nice and fun to downshift and play with. Paddle shifters on autos blur that a bit too. They both have their place.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I dunno...I drove a semi over the road, four anna quarter Cat, 18 speed, baby. I don't know why the vehicles you mention need an auto trans? My pickup truck is a stick...most of the vehicles I've owned have been manual transmission. I vastly prefer it, even in traffic, on hills, whatever.

Definitely cheaper to maintain and I think better fuel consumption. I find them much more fun to drive and appreciate the extra control for mountain driving, off road and snowy roads. I grew up in Europe and the middle east, learned to drive there...perhaps it's what one was first taught?

Real women drive stick shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I prefer manual transmission in any decent size vehicle. SUV's/Trucks/Vans need a slushbox though.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I dunno...I drove a semi over the road, four anna quarter Cat, 18 speed, baby. I don't know why the vehicles you mention need an auto trans? My pickup truck is a stick...most of the vehicles I've owned have been manual transmission. I vastly prefer it, even in traffic, on hills, whatever.

Definitely cheaper to maintain and I think better fuel consumption. I find them much more fun to drive and appreciate the extra control for mountain driving, off road and snowy roads. I grew up in Europe and the middle east, learned to drive there...perhaps it's what one was first taught?

Real women drive stick shifts.
With smaller cars, sports cars and even large sedans I'll drive a stick anywhere. When it comes to driving large trucks I spend way too much time in San Francisco and other cities with steep grades to make it worth while. I'm no slouch when it comes to controlling roll on a manual car but we get too many idiots who decide to stop an inch from your rear bumper on a steep incline at a stop.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
4 speeds, 5, 10, or 13 speeds... Manual transmission.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
I've driven both. Stick is more fun unless you drive in stop and go traffic or get caught at a red light at an overpass. Because of that, I drive an automatic.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
both my truck and car are 5 and 6 speed manual respectively. I hate the isolated feeling autos give ands hate the way they hunt for gears sometimes.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Almost the very first time I drove a car in the USA...1979, in a friend's MG. In San Francisco. She was way too drunk to drive (and I wasn't precisely sober) and was trying to get us out of the city back home...nighttime, traffic, we got utterly lost all over the place, and those hills are something else, I know what you mean!

Lived at 10,000 feet in the Rockies for a few years but still preferred the manual. But I've driven a stick for almost 40 years now, I don't think about it at all. It's become, ummm, automatic. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
With smaller cars, sports cars and even large sedans I'll drive a stick anywhere. When it comes to driving large trucks I spend way too much time in San Francisco and other cities with steep grades to make it worth while. I'm no slouch when it comes to controlling roll on a manual car but we get too many idiots who decide to stop an inch from your rear bumper on a steep incline at a stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive